Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

Survivor/bandit log - bring story to DayZ

I'm not suggesting 'handwritten heartwrenching tales of woe and zombicide' by 'teh m0dz' or anything like that.

What I'm suggesting is, an item that you can either pick up, or craft. It occupies a slot in your character screen, it's a piece of gear. A notebook, marked as either a 'hero', 'survivor', or 'bandit' log.

This 'log', when equipped, chronicles your achievements. And I don't mean 'ermhagherd I killed 20 zombies ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!' I'm talking about simpler, much more mundane things.

log entries like:

Travelled to Berezino.

10 zomies killed

Fell and broke my leg (lol doorglitch)

Morphine fixed my leg

Got shot 3 times. I think it was a M1911. Looked like Insertplayernamehere

I killed Insertplayernamehere

etc etc etc.

just a log of events, showing who shot you. Who you shot. What you got shot with. If you killed zombies. What places you went to. General things.

That way, when you shoot some new guy on the coast, you can take his survivors log and look through it.

And for extra special fun, you can add a code to make the logbook recognize killers. So, if the log abruptly ends, some bandit can pick it up, and it'll read:

'My name is BanditFaceKillah, I killed Insertplayernamehere and I took his book.'

Or, if you found it on a body. 'My name is Survivorguy, and I found this book'. Allowing the log to continue being written in the hands of a new player.

this sort of thing might seem trivial. But imagine, if you will, if you managed to get hold of Dr Wasteland's log book? What if you held, in your inventory, the logbook that Rocket started writing? What if you were the guy written on the pages: 'My name is BanditfaceKillah, I killed Rocket and took his logbook'?

How f-ing awesome would that be?

I'd like to see that, and maybe a little bit more of a story behind everything. other than just survive. I am enjoying the Day Z origins, i like a little story to go with my mundane looting, gives me a sense of purpose

I remember this, literally the same exact topic, being posted in the suggestions board. A small diary that would explain all those things. Please guys, search before you post...

People need a good lecturing about tags and the search function. While, as always, a nice idea, it starts to grate when there is already plenty of information out there on this topic and numerous posts from Rocket on the Reddit I think about said idea.

If, in SA, we have some inexplicable ability to know who shot us and with what, someone at BI will be due a slap.

In an authentically geared anti-game you can have EITHER zombies OR magic psychic powers. Not both.

Notes and logs would add to the atmosphere, but automatically creating logs for everyone severely lessens the impact finding thorough notes would have.

If players wrote their own entries (if any) it would make for an interesting read. And well written,detailed logs would be worthwhile, even possibly becoming valuable in certain circles.

If the item in your inventory fills itself in, the log-book would be boring and pointless. Nobody would read them because it's just going to be copypasta shuffled around.