Sign in to follow this  
Garblax

Spawn Points

Hey guys, just a quick thought that I hadn't found really anywhere else on here, so sorry if this isn't new!

Why does everyone have to spawn on the coast? I think it would be interesting to spawn in other places all around the map as well. Like in some of the cesspool towns that harbor nothing or maybe on the bordering tree lines of chernarus, or maybe even in a hospital or a house/shed somewhere?

I think this would mix up the strategy of DayZ quite a bit. There's no more "head straight to cherno/elektro" mentality anymore. It's more of "I need to find some food and water before I can trek my way to find a map or weapon! That, of course, is only if you don't immediately know where you are exactly.

Also, I think this would prevent a kind of bottleneck the game presents where characters all spawn/ head to one general area that is easily accessible by bandits and the sort.

Storyline wise, it would add more variety to the background of our characters instead of "I somehow survived a boat crash presumably that I have no memory of and now I'm on a beach". Everyone could have their own individual stories, per se.

I'd love some feedback on the idea. Anyone else agree?

• Like 1

In my opinion the less "background" we're given, the better.

As soon as we're given some history to our character, however small, the freedom of imagination is broken.

The beachlander spawn puts everyone in the same situation, with no clue what's supposed to have happened leading up to it.

If inland spawns are added, I'd like it to be used to increase the initial disorientation rather than create a story.

Being lost in the wilderness is the thing I miss most from the early days.

• Like 3

Making everyone spawn on the back does that the NWAF becomes the goal for everyone, since the place with the highest amount of military loot is equally far away from everyone. After all, noone forces anyone to go to either Cherno or Electro. People can stay clear of the big cities and still survive. If we have poeple spawning all over Chernarus, some will faster get to the high end spawns than others.

In my opinion the less "background" we're given, the better.

As soon as we're given some history to our character, however small, the freedom of imagination is broken.

The beachlander spawn puts everyone in the same situation, with no clue what's supposed to have happened leading up to it.

If inland spawns are added, I'd like it to be used to increase the initial disorientation rather than create a story.

Being lost in the wilderness is the thing I miss most from the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you when it comes to the less information, the better. I just thought it would be more interesting to wonder why in woke up in the forest rather than on the shore.

Originally this idea came from me thinking about how I never feel that lost anymore when I spawn, and the story bit came sort of as something extra.

IMHO the coast gives an immediate reference to fresh people and allow them to wander left and right alongside the coast without fear of getting lost and with 100% chance to find a town/city sooner or later.

When you get more experienced you can spawn anywhere and find your bearing/develop a strategy but that takes some game-time.

_Anubis_

IMHO the coast gives an immediate reference to fresh people and allow them to wander left and right alongside the coast without fear of getting lost and with 100% chance to find a town/city sooner or later.

When you get more experienced you can spawn anywhere and find your bearing/develop a strategy but that takes some game-time.

_Anubis_

Are you proposing something? Maybe the players first X spawns would be on the coast or something?

Hard to change. Skilled/Experienced players could spawn pretty much anywhere whereas fresh people should be on the coast... But how to make a difference? Maybe one could select where to spawn (easy/regular/hard spawn points) according to some parameters, or make it server-based just like 3rd personview.

_Anubis_

Hard to change. Skilled/Experienced players could spawn pretty much anywhere whereas fresh people should be on the coast... But how to make a difference? Maybe one could select where to spawn (easy/regular/hard spawn points) according to some parameters, or make it server-based just like 3rd personview.

_Anubis_

I feel like if a player was given the choice of a difficulty based spawn point, he would be able to obtain certai loot faster, only spawn in specific places, and it would ruin immersion in the sense that you wouldn't just spawn at a random point on chernarus.. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

The game is harsh to everyone, including new players, so I don't believe exceptions should be made for anyone honestly. But that's part of what makes DayZ such a challenging and theoretically balanced game. A GOOD game.

I like the idea of different spawns. I imagine that a lot of people would flock to hospitals, police stations and military bases. Of course, some people would try to escape via the airport, and of course, the shores. Some huge boat wrecks all along the coast would be pretty cool, as if there was a mass exodus off of the island that went wrong. Waking up in a car crash, crashed news chopper, hospital room or in the middle of the street would add a lot to the immersion.

I like the idea of not spawning on the coast it would give you a more "lost" feeling on the coast its very easy to know where you are and to navigate in the middle of the map not so much makes that map/compass that much more valuable