Sign in to follow this  
TheKidCommentaries

New to DayZ, What to do? [The Newbie Experience]

The Newbie Experience

Well, here I am. The newbie of DayZ, not a surprise. Since I'm such a newbie, I thought, "Why not get active with the community?" Hope I made the right choice.

Anyways, I think I should talk a bit about myself. My name is Devin, I'm good at, and enjoy playing basketball, I LOVE gaming, I love making videos, I love programming (Although... I'm learning it off to the side of my busy, busy, BUSY life!) and I have a 4.00 G.P.A.

DayZ, has been a game (Err... Mod) I've wanted for a LONG, LONG, LONG time, finally I've purchased Arma 2: CO and I'm actually just finishing installing Operation Arrowhead now!

Arma 2 is a great game it self, but DayZ is a masterpiece, so a big thank you to the devs for making such an amazing mod, that I heard will in the upcoming months, will become a GAME!

----------------

I've probably watched... 1,000 videos of DayZ, guides, entertainment, walkthroughs, and more. I really am attached to this game, and when I get in there, I'll be alone, in the harsh Russian lands, zombies, bandits, all that. And I can't trust anyone except my good cousin Josh (We're going to try to meet up) so if anyone has any tips, or would like to help me out, just drop a reply!

That's really it, I'm hoping to become an experienced, known, and respected player, here on the forums, in the community, and a in-game. I'll probably begin making a group sometime called "The Republic" which will be a government type group bent on re-building civilization to what THEY want it to be, and how they need it to be!

That's about it, thanks everyone!

post-151367-0-96111900-1362582579_thumb.

-- Devin --

-- [[ Private First Class ]] --

Stats:

Zombies Killed: 168

Bandits Killed: 1

Murders: 3

Meters Walked: 26,504

:beans:

-- May Be Updated --

Version 1.0

-- Released Message --

Version 1.1

-- Updated Stats --

Version 1.2

-- Coming Soon --

Bump this thread!

post-151367-0-16326300-1362582566_thumb.

Edited by TheKidCommentaries

Well I have a few tips for you

- Stay out of Cherno and Electro as much as possible after you get starter gear.

- Remember there is 3 Airfields, Dont always head straight to NWA to gear up.

-Find a good stable server to set up a base on.

-Be willing to trust people ( I know hard in this game but sometimes it works out)

-Helicopters are not everything in this game

Thats just a few suggestions. Any Questions add me on skype at Mr Nimzy

• Like 1

Electro and Cherno are fine on any servers under 15 players. Just make sure there are no zombies already walking around when you approach.

• Like 1

Thanks guy, the tips are helpful, if you could help spread this thread by sharing/bumping it that'd be great.

Hopefully this page will become a popular thread for all newbies.

I'm actually only a few games into it myself. I'm sort of getting the hang of it. I think the most important part is to memorize your surroundings and learn the coastline, as it will lead you to the two main cities. I always make finding a box of matches a priority when I start because you'll need it to cook the animal meat you get, which will then be used to eat and regain your health. I'm far from an expert, but I'm just making sure I go into the game with an objective and it really adds to the excitement factor.

Hello Devin, How are you today?

First off I'd suggest finding a small, not very popular server to learn the ropes, Even though you have watched tons of videos, there is a steep learning curve, Even though you may feel that everyone is out to get you there is a surprisingly large amount of friendly players, not everyone carries the K.O.S (Kill on Sight) mentality, although most of them carry the K.U.FU (Kill Upon being Fired Upon) mentality.

Secondly Avoid Cities as much as possible, after getting starting gear, only hit cities if it is absolutely necessary, example you need medical supplies, and then it'd preferable to hit them at Night, Zeds have lower awareness. Crawling and crouched sneaking is preferable. On bigger servers places you are going to want to avoid at almost all costs, are Cherno, Electro, Stary Sabor, and NWAF. If you decide to be very careful, Bandits love to loiter these areas, because they provide extremely effective sniper locations.

This is all I have to offer I am still figuring out somethings as well.

~Mossy

P.S. Never EVER fire a Lee Enfield in a town/city

• Like 1

My golden rules 1)This is not a rambo game, no gun lets you mow down all enemies without having to worry about getting your own ass killed from stupidity. Think before you shoot.

2) Don't attract attention, if it's zombies, or people, doesn't matter. Don't be too visable or too loud, it will result in either teeth or a bullet in your head.

3) Other players are the biggest danger. Most people would rather put a shot in your skull than say hi, or you might get lucky and they say hi...then they put a bullet in your skull.

4) At night light is bad, if there happen to be any other players around, I guarantee that they are looking for a flare of flashlight as something to shoot at in the night.

5) There's safety in numbers, if you got friends or a clan to play with, they do a good job of covering your ass. Going solo can get you killed pretty easy, but it also reqires you to have friends you trust (one of my buddies likes to "desk pop" and that's not good).

6) THIS GAME IS SLOW, it's not COD. It's more like a proof of concept for that late night drunk conversation- 'so if zombies took over the world... I would totally kick ass and not die'

As a fellow newbie, I'll tell you to throw caution to the wind.

Yes! Do it! Forget your inhibitions and run! Get used to holding shift and quickly double tapping W to get away. Crawling is fine and dandy, and you'll need to do it at some point, but you need to make progress! Press X and run! You're going to get nowhere fast by crawling everywhere so keep your head down and keep moving. Use your NumPad: you can take quick glances behind you with 1 and 3.

I know, I know, I told you to run, but take it in stages too. Make it to cover then rest for a few seconds. If you need to shoot, you need to shoot accuratly, and nothing is worse than bouncing ironsights. Plus, if you're breathing heavy you may not be able to hear zeds or players around you.

Low Pop Servers are nice for newbs. Join servers with a relatively low amount of players already on. This seems like a wierd thing to do, and it took me a while to finally get over the fact that there may be more of a chance of hackers on these servers, but you don't have to stress about hostile players as much either. Hit the greocery stores and get yourself a pair of binoculars and a nice supply of food/drink, you'll probably find a better backpack too. Cities usually spawn a plethora of .45 acp ammo, and the M1911 is a decent sidearm.

You should be afraid of the sound of flies, but not afraid to loot the body. This sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but more often than not the deceased have something you want. Proceed with caution when looting a body, and be quick about it. If you think there might be something left you want, leave and sort out your inventory, then decide if it's really worth risking the time and trek back. This person obviously fell to SOMETHING, so you don't want to stick around too long to find out what.

I dunno how much that helps, but I can tell you that is how I acquired my Mk 40 Mod 0, M40A3, and coyote backpack. and I still have yet to fire either!

Edited by Coke

I watched one of your videos, you need to develop more of a personality. You just kind of talk to yourself about what's going on in the game while you play. Try instead talking more about the game itself and what you are doing.

Still you're 12 years old so I couldn't watch more than 20 seconds before you're voice made me turn it off. Maybe once puberty hits you will gain popularity

Edit: Forgot to mention, the first thing you do in DayZ.

Get hit by a zombie, start bleeding, and wonder how the f*ck do I bandage myself.

Edited by Food

Hatchet is the best rifle evar. M1911 be beastly pistol.

Sick of all the ageists. Yes, I did just make that word up on the spot. Atleast he's trying, for cryin' out loud. -_-

Edited by GotBeanZ