If anyone dared to read this I'm glad. Here you go.

Gas Masks.

Nothing essential, just usefull.

Use one: defense against tear gas.

Tear gas would just disorient and minorly damage the player. Tear gas would be very rare military loot. It could be in a thrown grenade form or grenade launcher fired.

Maximum tear gas safety: Gas mask paired with NBC suit

Use two: Radiation defense

Reasons for radiation? you might ask. For one thing, the military might have tried to wipe out so e zombies with a bomb, causing radiation in a small portion of the map. Maybe a little island that is completely devastated, but has good loot. The second reason could be a nuclear plant melt down, like chernobyl. (Maybe expand the map a little to acomadate a Chernobyl-esc place)

Maximum Radiation safety: Gas mask, NBC suit, and a geiger counter

• Like 2

Might have to wait for another map to come out to see such a thing - Namalsk allmost got it ^^,

I'll doubt Chernarus is ever going to get Radiation..

But the gas mask i do like the idea of, even tho it's been suggested half a million times ;)

Edited by Minamo

Gas masks would be very finicky and inefficient. First off, you would constantly need to find new and proper fitting, non expired filters. The filter is what filters out all the nasty stuff you don't want to breathe in. Gas masks filters degrade fairly quickly in contaminated environments, because the filter begins to pile up with all the pollutants and eventually stops filtering air. Like I said before, you would have to find non expired filters. This would obviously be very unlikely as the zombie apocalypse would seize factory production of.. just about everything- including gas mask filters. Assuming the seal is not broken on the filter, their shelf life is only a few years. If the seal has been opened, they'll last about a year. Now, on to the mask itself. Chernarus being a post-Soviet state, you would most likely find Russian GP-5 gas masks. Because these masks were made of a cheap rubber material, they would degrade pretty quickly in chemical environments, thus breaking the air-tight seal rendering it useless.

//flies away

Edited by Willy Wonka
  • Like 1

Gas masks would be very finicky and inefficient. First off, you would constantly need to find new and proper fitting, non expired filters. The filter is what filters out all the nasty stuff you don't want to breathe in. Gas masks filters degrade fairly quickly in contaminated environments, because the filter begins to pile up with all the pollutants and eventually stops filtering air. Like I said before, you would have to find non expired filters. This would obviously be very unlikely as the zombie apocalypse would seize factory production of.. just about everything- including gas mask filters. Assuming the seal is not broken on the filter, their shelf life is only a few years. If the seal has been opened, they'll last about a year. Now, on to the mask itself. Chernarus being a post-Soviet state, you would most likely find Russian GP-5 gas masks. Because these masks were made of a cheap rubber material, they would degrade pretty quickly in chemical environments, thus breaking the air-tight seal rendering it useless.

//flies away

which is why areas with radiation would have so much untouched loot. since working gas masks will be hard to find when you do get one it will make it all the sweeter. but you would also have to have a radiation detector to know if a area has radiation contamination. but I wouldn't really think there would be anything worth while in a radiation contaminated area I mean you would have to also clean it before you can even use it. well now that I think about it it seems to be too much work for little reward. :huh: yeah I think gas masks aren't really worth it I mean maybe face masks should be added they are abundant and work almost as well.

//walks away

Edited by HashSlingingSlasher192

I think gas masks and filters would actually be very common I mean look on amazon I bought one with a sealed filter for 25 bucks. Plus the fact that there was a failed military operation in the area would mean a lot of excess gas masks on soldiers and in barracks ect ect

Now now, gas masks would have their uses. ESPECIALLY with all of the diseases being added in. If you want to go into the city, then you would definitely want one. And yeah, filters may have stopped production, but they're good for a year. That's a pretty long time. Longer than any survivor could hope to live. And it's not like all of the working gas masks would be in use by anyone, because most of the population and military is dead.

I think gas masks and filters would actually be very common I mean look on amazon I bought one with a sealed filter for 25 bucks.

Gas masks would be very finicky and inefficient. First off, you would constantly need to find new and proper fitting, non expired filters. [...] This would obviously be very unlikely as the zombie apocalypse would seize factory production of.. just about everything- including gas mask filters.

Regarding the filter you bought, it was more than likely past its expiration date. Most of those filters are surplus and have been sitting in a warehouse for many years.

hello stalker.

Get out of here stalker.

I would stay away from radiation option as it is fairly common idea and would rather prefer disease/biological prevention role for the mask and bio suit. The suit would also be close to useless if torn by infected melee or projectiles.

• Like 1

No thanks this would waste too much developement effort to implement something that would have very little effect on gameplay (Maybe for an ww1 FPS that would see common gas attacks this would be a good feature but an open world zombie game? i dont think so) not to mention how would you have the mask distrupt view to keep the game realistic and ballenced? how would you prevent people from spamming tear gas from grenade launchers 24/7? if the answer to the last question is to make tear gas extreamly rare/uncommon to find surely this goes back to my first point on wasting dev time on something that will only see little use.

Btw sorry if this post sounds overly negative, just explaining my personal opinion on the matter.

Edited by Rollo

No thanks this would waste too much developement effort to implement something that would have very little effect on gameplay (Maybe for an ww1 FPS that would see common gas attacks this would be a good feature but an open world zombie game? i dont think so) Tear gas is one thing, and let's not forget that with all of the disease mechanics being added, going into cities may be dangerous for even more reasons) not to mention how would you have the mask distrupt view to keep the game realistic and ballenced? Add a visor-shaped black border around the screen, easy. how would you prevent people from spamming tear gas from grenade launchers 24/7? With the fact that there are a finite number of them? if the answer to the last question is to make tear gas extreamly rare/uncommon to find surely this goes back to my first point on wasting dev time on something that will only see little use.That's no reason to not add in something, look at the trash loot like tin cans and whiskey bottles. I'm sure adding in a gas mask wouldn't take that long, but you seem to be pretty convinced that it would. Besides, ACE has gas masks, I couldn't imagine that it'd be too hard to put one in DayZ.

Btw sorry if this post sounds overly negative, just explaining my personal opinion on the matter.

Yup, I love the idea. Maybe not for radiation but for disease protection. I've literally just been playing Metro 2033 so maybe that's why I like the idea. If I had to guess I'd say in the future it's pretty likely we will see them in the SA but that is just a complete guess.

• Like 1

Yup, I love the idea. Maybe not for radiation but for disease protection. I've literally just been playing Metro 2033 so maybe that's why I like the idea. If I had to guess I'd say in the future it's pretty likely we will see them in the SA but that is just a complete guess.

I would use the gas mask to avoid fraggles flatchulence

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

I would use the gas mask to avoid fraggles flatchulence

I'd use it to stop you trying to tickle my tonsils with your tongue.

how would you prevent people from spamming tear gas from grenade launchers 24/7?

find surely this goes back to my first point on wasting dev time on something that will only see little use.

Frag grenades are also rare. They shouldn't waste their time implementing them in standalone.

Come to think of it, so are most guns. The devs shouldn't implement them, since they'll see little use. Keep the few ones that will see the most action.

• Like 1

Since they are obviously going to be adding multiple head-slot items I think this would work quite well.

A way to potentially balance Gas Masks out would be to make the actual masks a rare drop but also require filters (military rare) for them to have any effect past cosmetics.

If you're going to add a gas mask make sure it fits the area.

Ta - Da! The soviet GP-5 gas mask! But hopefully you can mix this with other head items. Like Gas + Ushunka.

http://angelfiresinn...-Mask-121763630

Support all the way.

Edited by LancerG2