patrik

SERVER HOPPING firefights (*BIG problem*)

i dont mind dying because of bugs (i understand what alpha means).

i dont mind dying because the game is too tough (i like it that way).

BUT: recent dayz firefights looks like this:

i saw someone(or more of them).

i will start shooting (i have good ambush position).

they dissapear(disconnect)

they connect to another server and run behind my back

they disconnect again

they connect again to me - spawn behind me and kill me.

now, for the game which is mainly focused on realism, for the game which is so hard to play, this kind of death, this absence of normal firefights is real problem.

i understand that hackers are everywhere, but this kind of behavior is more frustrating than hacker nukes and server wipes. because this is starting to became normal players behavior.

is there any way to block this kind of actions?

(sorry for my bad english)

so:

1) you're a terrible shot.

2) you stayed in the same spot for 2 minutes?

hmm. maybe im terrible shot. maybe you can take down 2-3 moving enemies with headshots.

but point is: when they are on open field, and youre behind far around only rock barrier, why and where should i run after first shots?

dayz is based on milsim engine and character of firefights should look like that. you think that i should run to open field - far from mine previous position just to avoid spawning behind my back?

(and im not sniper lying somewhere and sniping players. im talking about normal 100-300 meters rifle fights)

Shoot people, they DC, it's the "new age" PvP according to most.

Rocket tried to fix it before and ran into a problem, but he's working on it. Don't worry though, those Cowardly Bandits (which aren't at all like real bandits) will be dealt with when possible. For now, work on headshots to drop the dead faster. It's not fool proof, but you may catch them long enough for them to avoid insta-DC (they can still DC and take their corpse with them even if you headshot)

so:

ya, i'd completely ignore a real issue and choose to be a d-bag too. the ladies love it.

Shoot people' date=' they DC, it's the "new age" PvP according to most.

Rocket tried to fix it before and ran into a problem, but he's working on it. Don't worry though, those Cowardly Bandits (which aren't at all like real bandits) will be dealt with when possible. For now, work on headshots to drop the dead faster. It's not fool proof, but you may catch them long enough for them to avoid insta-DC (they can still DC and take their corpse with them even if you headshot)

[/quote']

thank you for understanding, Virfortis.

i hope that Rocket will solve this problem soon.

Eh, for now if someone disconnects on firefights you should be thinking about this type of thing, will they cheap you or did they run? Should you jump to another server in the advent of an imminent exploit attack?

Just carry around a Lee Enfield. Now you can be a terrible shot and keep people from dcing.

so:

ya' date=' i'd completely ignore a real issue and choose to be a d-bag too. the ladies love it.

[/quote']

Its not worth DERPing about with the DCers since its already a known issue.

real issue here is bullets not striking targets and him herp derping around far to long

People disconnecting during and after fire fights needs to be dealt with. I'm not sure how though, I mean there's probably only so much that can be done with the engine.

I like what Eve Online does. If you initiate combat with another player and log out, you stay in the game for 15 minutes.

1 moron shot at me with a Lee Enfield the other day, missed and logged out when zombies ran to his position. The zombies despawned, he reappeared and I killed him. If only side chat was enabled on that server...

Just carry around a Lee Enfield. Now you can be a terrible shot and keep people from dcing.

Not true, I've gotten headshots with the Lee and they still managed to DC. They were on a ladder and standing still, saw the "splat" on their hat, they DCed in mid air.

Why not make it so players are bound to a certain server?

Upsides:

This would eliminate server hopping for outright cheating to avoid a firefight.

It would also eliminate server hopping to loot gear (I'm looking at you people who jump in and out of servers in Stary Sobor).

Would add to the realism of the game.

Downsides:

Would eliminate part of the premise of the game, persistent characters across gameservers, though this is the entire issue.

To mitigate the downside, why not just allow multiple characters each bound to a server.

Thoughts?

Why not make it so players are bound to a certain server?

Upsides:

This would eliminate server hopping for outright cheating to avoid a firefight.

It would also eliminate server hopping to loot gear (I'm looking at you people who jump in and out of servers in Stary Sobor).

Would add to the realism of the game.

Downsides:

Would eliminate part of the premise of the game' date=' persistent characters across gameservers, though this is the entire issue.

To mitigate the downside, why not just allow multiple characters each bound to a server.

Thoughts?

[/quote']

yea , you only play with the same 50 ppl every damn time, instead of thousands.

Yeah it's a problem.

And once it's fixed you're going to see the population drop sharply...because it's the only way some people can win firefights is to be a cheapass.

Be patient...it's coming.

so:

ya' date=' i'd completely ignore a real issue and choose to be a d-bag too. the ladies love it.

[/quote']

Its not worth DERPing about with the DCers since its already a known issue.

real issue here is bullets not striking targets and him herp derping around far to long

We all appreciate the way you handled his thread though. Your helpful attitude and unique "QQ, you suck at aiming and moving" is not cliche at all.

Next time, don't reply to the thread if you're gonna be caustic. We've all seen it before. Just point out that it's being worked on and is a known issue. Even politely referencing the search function of the forum is a better idea. Too many people on these forums with bad attitudes.

Hope your day gets better, bro.

this is a big problem, and absolutely needs to fixed if this mod is ever to be succesful.

if you change server you keep your equipment but you should be spawned in a random location. you want to keep your location? stay on the same server. if you choose to change server you get spawned in a random location in the world (different from starting spawns by the beach, but still random).

our group was at nw airfield which we don't usually go to much because we are a band of survivors and just grab what we can without being greedy.

Anyways we shot a guy who killed one of us, then his mate dc'd 2 mins later a nade was chucked from behind us, obviously a pvp dc'er.

It's gay i know, but we knew it would happen but we couldn't afford to move like a headless chicken as nwa was quite busy.

yea ' date=' you only play with the same 50 ppl every damn time, instead of thousands.

[/quote']

It might even might be fun. Communitys would start to develop.

Problem with 1 character 1 servers is what if the server is down? What about if the server is shut down? How about server breaks?

Server groups might work. Up to 5 servers per group. That would not solve disconnecting during firefights, but it would make harder to find server with available slots. Technically it might be hard to accomplish.

this is a big problem' date=' and absolutely needs to fixed if this mod is ever to be succesful.

if you change server you keep your equipment but you should be spawned in a random location. you want to keep your location? stay on the same server. if you choose to change server you get spawned in a random location in the world (different from starting spawns by the beach, but still random).

[/quote']

So if I'm playing with a group of 5 friends and the server goes down, our entire night is now ruined, to be spent finding each other again?

I'm sure there are better solutions than this.

this is a big problem' date=' and absolutely needs to fixed if this mod is ever to be succesful.

[/quote']

So if I'm playing with a group of 5 friends and the server goes down, our entire night is now ruined, to be spent finding each other again?

I'm sure there are better solutions than this.

you either wait for the same server to reopen or you have to find your friends again. you do not lose loot, but you will all be spawned in random places.

it's harsh but it works. i dont see a lot of ther fixes.

PS; the only other option is that you lose your weappon when you change server. keep all your loot but lose the weappon, so you spawn in the same palce but you are weapponless.

you either wait for the same server to reopen or you have to find your friends again.

Yeah' date=' no. That's a terrible solution. That's like "Oh I have a cold let me cut my nose off with a razor blade."

A better solution would be an audio/visual queue if someone logs in near you, and a short time-out for logging in to any server you have been on and DC'd from in the last 10-15 minutes or so.

Randomly warping people around the world is just really ugly and brute force.

PS; the only other option is that you lose your weappon when you change server. keep all your loot but lose the weappon.

LOL that's even worse. Just stop. Let the professionals handle it in a way that's not ridiculous.

[/quote']

This isn't really an improvement. It stops you from sneaking behind your attacker but only makes it easier to get out of a tough spot by server hopping.

The proper solution is the EVE Online method. Whenever you log out, your character stays there for 1 minute. If you have fired a weapon or been hit by (or even aggroed) a zombie or been shot at (not meaning hit, meaning any bullet striking within 20 meters of you), you stay in game for longer, possibly 5 or 10 minutes.

To solve the doppleganger issue, don't let the player log into a different server while their body is still sitting on the one they logged off from. If they log back into the same server, they reinhabit their body (assuming it is still alive).

[/quote']

This isn't really an improvement. It stops you from sneaking behind your attacker but only makes it easier to get out of a tough spot by server hopping.

The proper solution is the EVE Online method. Whenever you log out, your character stays there for 1 minute. If you have fired a weapon or been hit by (or even aggroed) a zombie or been shot at (not meaning hit, meaning any bullet striking within 20 meters of you), you stay in game for longer, possibly 5 or 10 minutes.

To solve the doppleganger issue, don't let the player log into a different server while their body is still sitting on the one they logged off from. If they log back into the same server, they reinhabit their body (assuming it is still alive).

that doesnt really work either. in a group you can still have one guy walk a few hundred meters away from the fight (so he isn't within shooting range) then he logs off. he logs on different server. he positions himself where his buddies tell him the enemy is. he then logs back onto the first server and spawns behind enemy lines.

you either put a "cooldwon" timer when changing between servers (annoying as hell when you are trying to find a server that is not night), or make people lose stuff in they log onto a different server from the one they are playing.

otherwise people will server hop whenever it's conveinent.

PS; EvE is NOT a good example since there is only one server.

you either put a "cooldwon" timer between servers (annoying as hell if you get dced)' date=' or make people lose stuff in they log onto a different server from the one they are playing.

otherwise people will server hop whenever it's conveinent.

[/quote']

Yea there definitely needs to be a cooldown between servers. But the game also needs to keep your avatar in-game if you d/c with aggro of any kind. I think together that would make d/c abuse pretty much worthless.

Just force a player's character to idle for 10 seconds or so before said player disconnects. Probably not the best solution, but it's better then how it is now.