Euphe

Reduce the spawnrate of food and drinks + story inside

Last day food and water items stopped spawning. Sounds totally awful? Strange enough it let me have the best time I have ever had in DayZ and find a lot of friends. The need to survive united people and made them fight the environment, not kill eachother pointlessly.

So I came up with a suggestion -reduce spawnrate of food and water. Not remove it like it was, but reduce it permamently. Make people actually take care about the basic needs. Before 1.7 there were beans in every building and I never thought of hunger. Why do we need hunger and thrist if they are not even a problem?

To understand how reducing the spawnrate of food and water will improve game experience read the story provided.

I wanted to tell you the story of the best time I have ever had in dayz.

It started when I, a day 0 survivor wearing a camo suit and armed with a M4A3 CCO, a G 17, wearing an alice backpack with a Winchester in it( all found a little time ago in a fire station), was laying in the church of Cherno, aiming at the doors. Suddenly the doors opened and a man walked in. He took 3 bullets and fell down, shot me with a Lee Enfield and passed out. I quickly bandaged my wounds, closed the door. I searched the guy and found the most wanted thing - matches. By that time I already had a hatchet and a knife.

What's so special about matches? It is easily understood if we take a look around the servers at that time. And they are desperate wastelands. When food stopped spawning it all went mad - I was getting tonns of requests for help from friends. People around were starving and dehydrating. The ones who could hunt had a chance.

And I gained the ability to hunt. As I found matches I told people that I will be feeding the starving ones. When I was leaving cherno, I spot a boar and quickly got meat. So I started heading for the nearest forest to get food cooked. A little barn was in my way. I started sneaking around, and soon heard a groan.

By the time I pulled out my pistol I was already on the ground with broken bones. Just two zombies, but they damaged me bad. I made my way to the forest crawling. Asked people for help - I had no morphine - and a guy agreed to find me. I calmed down and made fire, cooked meat. Then I crawled for a few miles until I spot the guy who was willing to help.

At first I thought that he will just shoot me for my gear, so the red dot of my M4A3 was on his head. But he was closing in without trying to aim and another guy who wanted to join me was coming from the other side. I was injected morphine and we went to a barn to make a plan.

The guys were User and Pope. Both appeared to be nice. We discussed stuff and it all looked bad. We had some weaponry, but desperately low food and water supplies. Thanks to my matches we soon cooked some food. But the biggest problem was water. In desperate try to survive I gave the only drink I had - a mountain dew soda can - to Pope and logged out to slow my thrist. User had to go to.

When I came back Pope still hasn't found water as we planned, and suddenly my thrist was magically reset. Pope was away to get some new guy. I looted two small villages only to find out that there's no water at all. When I met up with Pope, he introsuced a new guy. We all were running really low on water. Pope had to go away for another guy. I made a desicision - before we dehydrate we must try to find water. So we head out for a new village. On the way the new guy said that pope found a soda can. I was like: "How?! ". It was simple - he found it on a zombie.

And I made a plan, a mad plan. "It's simple - we kill the zombies "-I said. I had 4 mags for my rifle. One of 120 zombies must have a canteen on it.

Soon we all were in a long barn and I was shooting endless amounts of walking zombies. Me and pope were about to start dying from dehydration. After we killed around 70 zombies a guy yelled - "we've got it! ". The mad plan worked, we found a canteen. Soon we all were sitting at a dam drinking water.

Meanwhile a ghillie suit guy starved to death, somebody was asking to exchange his m1911 for water, somebody was taking about killing people for food.

So basically the need to survive made us unite. And we were not the only such group, there were others.

Wait before 1.7 u found food in like every house? I always go into houses and 80% of the time didnt find food. Just flares, empty cans, ammo to a gun I don't even have /or/ do have and sometimes the occasional soda. But majority of the time I didn't find food in every house, little alone every other house.

Personally I think reduced food and water spawns encourage players to kill each other for resources. In previous versions, I often would scavenge for a while so I could load up on food and water, and then go off into the countryside. But if I were starving and dehydrated, and I saw another player, I'd kill him in a heartbeat on the off chance that he has something I need.

You can see the same thing in real life- any scarcity of resource causes people to turn on each other and a breakdown of public order. People don't cooperate unless their basic, selfish needs are met.

I'd be for a slight reduction in the spawn rates of food and water, as I never had any trouble finding large amounts of either, but enforcing scarcity won't lead to people cooperating.

I actually have the exact other experience. I spawned in Cherno, searched all the stores, no food, one soda. I then proceeded north, searched 8 deer stands, none of which had any food/drink, and then searched the supermarket in Zelenogorsk, and there was nothing but ammo/empty cans. I could have just had a bad luck spree, but personally I think this is unacceptable. I logged off with flashing food in hopes that when the food spawn is fixed I can play without dying.

Personally I think reduced food and water spawns encourage players to kill each other for resources. In previous versions' date=' I often would scavenge for a while so I could load up on food and water, and then go off into the countryside. But if I were starving and dehydrated, and I saw another player, I'd kill him in a heartbeat on the off chance that he has something I need.

You can see the same thing in real life- any scarcity of resource causes people to turn on each other and a breakdown of public order. People don't cooperate unless their basic, selfish needs are met.

I'd be for a slight reduction in the spawn rates of food and water, as I never had any trouble finding large amounts of either, but enforcing scarcity won't lead to people cooperating.

[/quote']

Yes indeed it will make people try to find an easier way to obtain food - kill somebody else. It's not like it can be helped. If I was starving and I saw a guy with beans I would put my life above his.

That doesn't change the game much. In fact right now we are killing eachother for gear, a resource too.

I think a slight reduce of food spawn would be good

I'm a new player, second day playing, Fresh from the coast. I managed to find a scoped rifle three mags and a canteen and hatchet. I am becoming dehydrated and out in the wilderness. No food either.

In my twelve or so spawns, I have found a grand total of two soda cans. No food as of yet. I think the scarcity of food and drink is appropriately high. It's forced me to worry about essentials.

Two hours in and I'm slowly dying, but not dead. The best run I've had yet! lol