Sign in to follow this  
Ridonkulous

Why is there 10 ways to install, and none of them work...

Please explain to me why there is fucking 10 different ways to make this mod "work" which ones actually do WORK and how the fuck do I actually get the game to update.

Tired of seeing, you gotta have beta, you dont need beta just command line X, or make a file here download these here, I dont want to have an intimate relationship with this goddamn thing, I just want to play it.

Streamline the fucking process because even as an advanced computer user, I can't get this goddamn mod to load properly.

Honestly, yes its alpha, but how do you get people to play it when there isn't a supported way to actually install it.

I feel like I am trying to install some kind of hack or something that isn't supposed to be a natural install.

Alright, so I have it actually open now, well the

@DayZ

Expansion Beta.

Now how do I get it to update to 1.7.1 or whatever the latest build is...

Yeh its deffinatly hashed together. Props to the person for even getting this far, but its extremely buggy still and held together by spit and duct tape.

Plus, it doesnt help that 95% of the servers you try come back with multiple error and stalls and crashes.

Read the installation tutorial?

Hundreds of thousands of people have installed this mod with no problem. If you are an advanced computer user you can follow the step-by-step installation tutorials.

As for your complaint, yes it is still in alpha, a very small number of people are working on it, and they are spending all their time developing the mod, not an installation program for people who can't follow a few explicit, detailed instructions.

EDIT: Also, if you provided the specific area(s) where you are having troubles someone can probably help you.

guys, my first pc was a 386. im 33 years old and have spent most of my time in front of these things called personal computers ... i dont play cod and am not a casual pc user / gamer at all. please fix this shit its unbearable. its one million ways to install and none works right now.

@Walrus

Ok, hundreds of thousands installed it and are running it without any problems, awesome.

How long did it take them to install and get it to work? Did they have to spend hours reading forums and using launch parameters and beta files and random assortments of "how to's" that point to other programs to run in which the author of the "how to" has no idea what issues lie within the program they are pointing to?

Like I said in a previous post, why doesn't one of these hundred of thousand users, take the time, or hell even the mod author, to make an actual guide, or setup that does this for you automatically.

Streamline the process for all users to be able to complete, and OMFG those hundreds of thousands turn into millions.

Posts like Walrus' help no one, condescension and pointing me to forum posts that are outdated and don't provide EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL you need in order to play are moot and a waste of my time and any others looking to actually play this game.

guys' date=' my first pc was a 386. im 33 years old and have spent most of my time in front of these things called personal computers ... i dont play cod and am not a casual pc user / gamer at all. please fix this shit its unbearable. its one million ways to install and none works right now.

[/quote']

Maybe you need to take a year off then. Its really not hard to install this mod NOR the Beta. Allow me to help.

================================================

**STEP 1**

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Download and run the .exe

**STEP 2**

http://worrom.com/

and click the link "Download DayZ updater" or just use this one below...

http://worrom.com/files/DayZUpdater16.zip

**STEP 3**

Now open the dayz updater and run it. "Force update" is usually the best as "check for updates" occasionally throws an error.

**STEP 4**

Then after it says success check the box that says "Launch Beta"

Then click play.

My advice to you is that you should extract the dayzupdater and all its contents to your desktop for easy access.

This works 100%. If you cant get it 2 work there are 2 reasons..

1)The Download server is currently overloaded. You may want to retry or wait.

2)You're a complete moron who cant even follow the simplest instructions.

Hope that helps.

@Walrus

Ok' date=' hundreds of thousands installed it and are running it without any problems, awesome.

How long did it take them to install and get it to work? Did they have to spend hours reading forums and using launch parameters and beta files and random assortments of "how to's" that point to other programs to run in which the author of the "how to" has no idea what issues lie within the program they are pointing to?

Like I said in a previous post, why doesn't one of these hundred of thousand users, take the time, or hell even the mod author, to make an actual guide, or setup that does this for you automatically.

Streamline the process for all users to be able to complete, and OMFG those hundreds of thousands turn into millions.

Posts like Walrus' help no one, condescension and pointing me to forum posts that are outdated and don't provide EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL you need in order to play are moot and a waste of my time and any others looking to actually play this game.

[/quote']

Sorry for trying to be helpful, pointing you in the right direction, and asking specifically what was wrong so I could offer assistance.

Two users have created programs to help with install. Worrom has a simple program and there is also the Six Updater which actually makes installing the mod (and all Arma II mods) a one or two click process.

A couple of suggestions for all of you having trouble:

One: Profanity laced rants about the lack of a simple installation program are unlikely to get you help.

Two: If you can't figure it out, you will probably have to read a forum post or two for assistance.

Three: This is "alpha". I know people keep getting pissed when they read that excuse, but this is a free mod that is still in the earliest stages of development. It was not and still is not intended for a mass audience which means not only will you have to do a bit to get it working, but once you start playing, expect to be hit with many bugs. In fact, even if you did get it working now you couldn't play for long because food and water aren't even spawning due to a current bug.

Four: Have patience. I know you want to play. I know you are a computer expert so being unable to figure something like this out is even more frustrating. But c'mon, as I said above, hundreds of thousands of people have been able to get Day Z working without resorting to whiny, profanity-ridden posts. Either calm down and figure it out or come back in a year when the mod is no longer in "alpha".

Now, if you are still reading, please post what specific issue is causing you problems and myself or someone else will help you with it.

Thanks.

guys' date=' my first pc was a 386. im 33 years old and have spent most of my time in front of these things called personal computers ... i dont play cod and am not a casual pc user / gamer at all. please fix this shit its unbearable. its one million ways to install and none works right now.

[/quote']

Maybe you need to take a year off then. Its really not hard to install this mod NOR the Beta. Allow me to help.

**STEP 1**

**STEP 2**

**STEP 3**

Now open the dayz updater and run it. "Force update" is usually the best as "check for updates" occasionally throws an error.

**STEP 4**

Then click play.

My advice to you is that you should extract the dayzupdater and all its contents to your desktop for easy access.

Hope that helps.

I would bet what you're missing is either the fact that there is an alpha of Dayz, AND a beta of Arma II.... OR (and this is more likely), that you have to launch Arma in such a way that it launches the beta executable, not the non-beta.

Incidentally, not to salt the would, but the first computer I built was also a 386, I'm early forties, and I did this quite easily from the first few posts in the 1.7.0 updaye thread when it was still experimental, and you needed a password to get in. It really is easy if you grasp the concepts...

Maybe you need to take a year off then.

good one :D

Its really not hard to install this mod NOR the Beta. Allow me to help.

**STEP 1**

**STEP 2**

**STEP 3**

**STEP 4**

Then click play.

Hope that helps.

nice. now why are these pretty clear instructions within a thread that no one will find. if you go to dayzmod.com you will most likely click download -> http://dayzmod.com/downloads.php and go on to find these instructions http://dayzmod.com/su.php that are pretty much completely different to yours.

nice. now why are these pretty clear instructions within a thread that no one will find. if you go to dayzmod.com you will most likely click download -> http://dayzmod.com/downloads.php and go on to find these instructions http://dayzmod.com/su.php that are pretty much completely different to yours.

You could've just said "Thanks for the help" instead of continuing to whine.

[/quote']

**STEP 1**

**STEP 2**

**STEP 3**

**STEP 4**

Then click play.

Hope that helps.

I would bet what you're missing is either the fact that there is an alpha of Dayz, AND a beta of Arma II.... OR (and this is more likely), that you have to launch Arma in such a way that it launches the beta executable, not the non-beta.

Incidentally, not to salt the would, but the first computer I built was also a 386, I'm early forties, and I did this quite easily from the first few posts in the 1.7.0 updaye thread when it was still experimental, and you needed a password to get in. It really is easy if you grasp the concepts...

Honestly the only thying im missing is what you are trying to say to me. Who cares if DayZ is an Alpha and Arma is a "Beta"which its not BTW, its a BETA patch before the newest release.

All im trying to do is streamline the process for those having issues with installing it.

Im glad you are early forties and built some PCs in your life. That has nothing to do with this thread.

People wanted help installing and playing the mod. That is what i provided here.

As far as in-game issues you people have, take that up with Rocket. I'm sure hes got plenty of empty jars around to store the QQ in.

Also...i made a thread with these instructions in there. Feel free to bump it for other people having ssues.

Sorry to anyone who took offense to my post. Everyone ont hese forums needs to lighten up just a bit. Kinda like the in-game Night...baaa ziiiing

Agreed. fanboys will say "durrrrrrrrr its alpha" but come on' date=' its sloppy as hell.

[/quote']

i tried two ways, arma II launcher & six launcher.

both of them work flawless if done right. you even get fricking youtube videos showing you every single step you need to do, i mean really, how hard can it be.

maybe its you being sloppy there.

oh, and, durrrrrrrrrr its alpha.

we appreciate your effort. :heart: i dont know if your instructions work since i got it working before .. but if they do they should be the first thing newbies see. if this clutter of information doesnt stop there will non-stop threads about confused users that just want to enjoy the game.

Agreed. fanboys will say "durrrrrrrrr its alpha" but come on' date=' its sloppy as hell.

[/quote']

both of them work flawless if done right. you even get fricking youtube videos showing you every single step you need to do, i mean really, how hard can it be.

duuuuuur, i didnt say i havnt got the game to work did it. I got it to work first time, but every server i join is either battleye crash or infinite loading crash or infinite creating character crash. or one of the other 10 crashes or stalls that will happen no matter how "flawless" you have installed it.

we appreciate your effort. :heart: i dont know if your instructions work since i got it working before .. but if they do they should be the first thing newbies see. if this clutter of information doesnt stop there will non-stop threads about confused users that just want to enjoy the game.

There are links to helpful posts everywhere. If you go to the New Players Discussion forum' date=' the first post stickied at the top is "Index of Helpful Threads".

And if you got it working why are you here complaining?

[/quote']

duuuuuur, i didnt say i havnt got the game to work did it. I got it to work first time, but every server i join is either battleye crash or infinite loading crash or infinite creating character crash. or one of the other 10 crashes or stalls that will happen no matter how "flawless" you have installed it.

If you have the mod working why are you complaining in an installation help thread?

As for your issue, keep trying different servers. There have been a lot of problems the past 24-48 hours since the update to 1.7.1 because a lot of servers aren't upgrading yet. Make a mental note of the name of each server you try and when you find one that works, write the name down. I currently have a list of 3-4 daytime and 3-4 inverted servers that work great for me (quick join, no lag, etc.).

It has taken me a month of playing to find those 8 or so good servers, but have a little patience. Once the latest hotfix is released (hopefully today) I imagine most servers will update so we'll all be playing the same version again.

There are links to helpful posts everywhere. If you go to the New Players Discussion forum' date=' the first post stickied at the top is "Index of Helpful Threads".

are you serious?

because it took too fucking long and i dont want my friends that i want to play with (and every newbie) to go through this fucking tedious thread digging.

are you serious?

because it took too fucking long and i dont want my friends that i want to play with (and every newbie) to go through this fucking tedious thread digging.

Not much patience for a 33 year old. Again, the first post of the New Player forum is a link to an installation thread. A youtube search will give you a video. And again, hundreds of thousands have installed this mod without creating forum posts, so obviously the installation isn't as difficult for everyone else. If you would like to whine and post a few more "fucks" though please continue.

[/quote']

**STEP 1**

**STEP 2**

**STEP 3**

**STEP 4**

Then click play.

Hope that helps.

Honestly the only thying im missing is what you are trying to say to me. Who cares if DayZ is an Alpha and Arma is a "Beta"which its not BTW, its a BETA patch before the newest release.

All im trying to do is streamline the process for those having issues with installing it.

Im glad you are early forties and built some PCs in your life. That has nothing to do with this thread.

People wanted help installing and playing the mod. That is what i provided here.

As far as in-game issues you people have, take that up with Rocket. I'm sure hes got plenty of empty jars around to store the QQ in.

Also...i made a thread with these instructions in there. Feel free to bump it for other people having ssues.

Sorry to anyone who took offense to my post. Everyone ont hese forums needs to lighten up just a bit. Kinda like the in-game Night...baaa ziiiing

Take a deep breath...

there...

Someone else mentioned that the install was very hard and offered proof that they had been building computers or some such and were in their early thirties. I was just offering counter-point to that.

I took no offense from anyone and just offering what I see as the main reasons that people are having trouble, when they feel that they have installed properly.

[/quote']

See, just this. Since it was a pretty short thread, I assumed people would know what I mean.

but every server i join is either battleye crash or infinite loading crash or infinite creating character crash. or one of the other 10 crashes or stalls that will happen no matter how "flawless" you have installed it.

its your problem then, because right now, i have none of that. i know plenty friends who play dayz now and they have none of that either. sometimes it hangs on the loading screen, but if i reload arma it works 9 out of 10 times.

it used to be a LOT more troublesome then few weeks ago, and even then i got it to work without crying in forums like a 10 year old. hell what am i saying, a 10 year old would get this to work before you do.

advice for today: fix shit on your end and stop trolling.

/thread

I havent read all comments but I had trouble making it work together but I was shown easy way, use Six updater so download all files and Arma 2 launcher to select what options you want, its pretty easy and simple :)

it used to be a LOT more troublesome then few weeks ago' date=' and even then i got it to work without crying in forums like a 10 year old. hell what am i saying, a 10 year old would get this to work before you do.

[/quote']

its remarkable that you still dont seem to understand the intends of this thread although all you have to do is read the threadtitle .. have a great day mr autistic.

it used to be a LOT more troublesome then few weeks ago' date=' and even then i got it to work without crying in forums like a 10 year old. hell what am i saying, a 10 year old would get this to work before you do.

[/quote']

its remarkable that you still dont seem to understand the intends of this thread although all you have to do is read the threadtitle .. have a great day mr autistic.

Your thread is titled "Why is there 10 ways to install, and none of them work..."

So you are bitching about 2 things....1) the abundant amount of ways there are to install the MOD and 2) that they dont work.

The inflection i perceived of the title however is that your main gripe is they do not work. But they do, and numerous people explained how to make them work. I just think you're a bitter prick who doesnt like the game and would rather spend time on the forums.

No worries, i havent played BF3 in forever but i check and rage the forums daily. Brothers in arms you could say...

[/quote']

A 33 year old acting like a 13 year old. I sure do love the internet.

I'll say it again. You complained about not being able to get the mod installed (although you apparently already had it installed) so we tried to help. Instead of saying "thanks" you just continued to whine. Grow up.