Sign in to follow this  
Ridonkulous

Why is there 10 ways to install, and none of them work...

You guys are pathetic. Are you seriously bitching at this guy for suggesting that there be one official way to install the mod? Grow up. The game isn't perfect as is and the installation certainly COULD use some streamlining. It's Alpha but due to its popularity at the very least a simple installer could be made to make it more accessible. If it doesnt happen fine, but there is no reason to bitch at this guy for suggesting it.

Especially the 44 year old guy. You would think he would be a little less of a douche in his old age.

Sorry for the harsh language but jesus christ guys, whats your issue?

...snip...

Sixupdater - does it really get more simpler than that ?

Apparently you missed the entire point of what I said. I'm not going to get into an argument over it like the last guy, but Sixupdater didn't work at all (for me) for the latest patch. I ended up having to completely reinstall manually and use launch commands. Justsayin.

You guys are pathetic. Are you seriously bitching at this guy for suggesting that there be one official way to install the mod?

we have one

its a sticky, close enough to call it official i guess

and best of all: it works

You guys are pathetic. Are you seriously bitching at this guy for suggesting that there be one official way to install the mod? Grow up. The game isn't perfect as is and the installation certainly COULD use some streamlining. It's Alpha but due to its popularity at the very least a simple installer could be made to make it more accessible. If it doesnt happen fine' date=' but there is no reason to bitch at this guy for suggesting it.

Especially the 44 year old guy. You would think he would be a little less of a douche in his old age.

Sorry for the harsh language but jesus christ guys, whats your issue?

[/quote']

If someone makes a thread titled "Help with Install" then politely describes their issue, they will find help and not be flamed. If someone goes to the Suggestion thread and posts "An installer would be nice. Thanks.", they will be thanked for their suggestion.

The OP and several replies by others were not polite, were laced with profanity, and did not describe the issues they were having. It was just whining threads from people who couldn't take 5 minutes to find the Install threads or search Youtube. That is why they were flamed although if you read through all the posts you will see we still tried to help them (apparently successfully since they have either stopped complaining or admitted they were able to install it).

That doesnt change the fact that the way you treated the guy complaining about it was incredibly childish. Even if he was whining why continue to instigate him instead of just letting it go? This is the kind of behavior that leads to these types of games eventually failing because new players don't want to be part of such a hostile community.

That doesnt change the fact that the way you treated the guy complaining about it was incredibly childish. Even if he was whining why continue to instigate him instead of just letting it go? This is the kind of behavior that leads to these types of games eventually failing because new players don't want to be part of such a hostile community.

An appeal for civility coming from the guy whose first post was used to call a guy a "douche"?

Again, we tried to help these guys. If we flamed them a bit because of their posts so be it, we still tried to help despite their poor attitude.

Actually I said you were being a douche, not that you were a douche.

Also, the way you "tried to help them" was by being extremely condescending.

Anyways I'll just go ahead and end this conversation here since I can see that it is going to be impossible to convince you that you were wrong.

it looks like we even got none less then THREE official methods to install this thing. two of them are working, i have done them myself. they obviously tried none of them.

now if one keeps trolling and spitting nonsense, he might want to expect some hostile replies. welcome to the internet.

Actually I said you were being a douche' date=' not that you were a douche.

Also, the way you "tried to help them" was by being extremely condescending.

Anyways I'll just go ahead and end this conversation here since I can see that it is going to be impossible to convince you that you were wrong.

[/quote']

Excuse me, I was "pathetic" but only "being a douche", not an actual "douche". The clarification is greatly appreciated and thanks again for bringing civility to this debate.

Instead of taking your ball and going home why don't you point out where I was being a douche? I just reread every post I've made in this thread and think I was far more helpful than condescending.

Hundreds of thousands of people have installed this mod with no problem.

Wut? *lol* No problem? You are dreaming.

I'm not saying no one has had a single problem. I'm saying hundreds of thousands have managed to read the Installation thread, looked it up on Youtube, or managed to figure it out some other way without coming to the forums and dropping a dozen f-bombs because despite 20 years of computer expertise they can't figure it out.

I was being a douche? I just reread every post I've made in this thread and think I was far more helpful than condescending.

FFS! Read your first post. If you don't see it read it until you see it.

You are being one right now. Does that help clarify?

Very helpful. I'll just end this conversation since it will be impossible to convince you that you are wrong.

I dont know the process for steam but if you have the dvd version:

Install game off DVD and patch the game to the latest version

Download and install the beta patch

Download all of the dayz mod files from this site.

Find your arma2 folder and create a new folder '@dayz'

inside this @dayz folder create a folder called 'addons'

unzip all of the .pbo's and dayz.bisign's from the various Dayz downloads into the addons folder.

make a new shortcut on your desktop.

In the location of the item: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@DayZ

including the " " 's

When there is an update... download the new files again off this site and unzip them into your @dayz/addons folder overwriting the existing files.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. I'll just end this conversation since it will be impossible to convince you that you are wrong.

Creative. Once again, grow up.

I was being a douche? I just reread every post I've made in this thread and think I was far more helpful than condescending.

FFS! Read your first post. If you don't see it read it until you see it.

Let's see. I provided a link to the installation threads and asked specifically what problem he was having so I could help. In between I mocked him for not being able to follow a few simple instructions.

Again, I was more helpful than condescending, but I know how much work goes into making a mod and I'm tried of seeing people spend 5 minutes trying to get his working then coming to the forums to create profanity-laced threads that don't even describe what specific problem they are having, just whining because with all their computer expertise they can't figure it out.

My first night of Day Z, roughly a month ago, I played with a 15 year old kid. When a 15 year old has the patience to figure out how to install this mod, I expect better of people twice his age.

I'm not saying no one has had a single problem. [...] dropping a dozen f-bombs [...]

Everyone i personally know has had problems. And 5 of those arere fraking CS grads. It's just a big bunch of "don't know" and re-read the manuals. Then stuff changes and some manuals don't work anymore, while people spread false information. Seriously, it could be a lot easier. If there was an automatic easy way that everyone would like to use the devs would also gain because more people would be using the same version. (a.k.a. less threads about already fixed issues, faster detection of new issues etc.)

Creative. Once again' date=' grow up.

[/quote']

Thanks. Ditto.

Creative. Once again' date=' grow up.

[/quote']

Thanks. Ditto.

And you are trying to convince us that you aren't being a douche? You can't have it both ways.

I'm not saying no one has had a single problem. [...] dropping a dozen f-bombs [...]

Everyone i personally know has had problems. And 5 of those arere fraking CS grads. It's just a big bunch of "don't know" and re-read the manuals. Then stuff changes and some manuals don't work anymore' date=' while people spread false information. Seriously, it could be a lot easier. If there was an automatic easy way that everyone would like to use the devs would also gain because more people would be using the same version. (a.k.a. less threads about already fixed issues, faster detection of new issues etc.)

[/quote']

Heh, look, I agree 100% it would be fantastic if there was a single executable, made by BIS or Rocket, that installed Day Z, kept it up-to-date, and made everything so simple a two year old could handle it. However, once again, this is alpha, BIS is remaining somewhat hands off, and the last thing Rocket has time for these days is programming an installer. Two members of the community have created stop gap measures (Six Updater and Worrom) but both can still require a bit of elbow grease.

My point is, as I tried to make several times, there are ways to ask for assistance and there is whining. The OP and many of the following replies did not ask for assistance, they simply whined. We gave assistance anyway, but mocked their whining along the way. If trying to help someone while asking them not to bash Rocket and drop f-bombs makes me a douche, well, I'll gladly take the title of Biggest Douche in the Universe from John Edwards.

And you are trying to convince us that you aren't being a douche? You can't have it both ways.

If I admit to being a douche will you admit to being one too?

Please explain to me why there is fucking 10 different ways to make this mod "work" which ones actually do WORK and how the fuck do I actually get the game to update.

Tired of seeing' date=' you gotta have beta, you dont need beta just command line X, or make a file here download these here, I dont want to have an intimate relationship with this goddamn thing, I just want to play it.

Streamline the fucking process because even as an advanced computer user, I can't get this goddamn mod to load properly.

[/quote']

I have made a 5 mins video, that should cover 95% of users. Not sure you are a "advanced" user (no offence, meant..just honesty)

Far too many people consider themselves Computer Pros/power users...in reality they are just mediocre, while the majority of computer users honestly are just really bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhM5VTvGW00

If you still have any problems, feel free to describe it, I will do my very best to help as soon as I can/notice the comment.

Please explain to me why there is fucking 10 different ways to make this mod "work" which ones actually do WORK and how the fuck do I actually get the game to update.

Tired of seeing' date=' you gotta have beta, you dont need beta just command line X, or make a file here download these here, I dont want to have an intimate relationship with this goddamn thing, I just want to play it.

Streamline the fucking process because even as an advanced computer user, I can't get this goddamn mod to load properly.

[/quote']

I have made a 5 mins video, that should cover 95% of users. Not sure you are a "advanced" user (no offence, meant..just honesty)

Far too many people consider themselves Computer Pros/power users...in reality they are just mediocre, while the majority of computer users honestly are just really bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhM5VTvGW00

If you still have any problems, feel free to describe it, I will do my very best to help as soon as I can/notice the comment.

Thanks. I've bookmarked your video for future reference on installation threads.

I agree with your assessment of computer folks too. My family thinks I'm a power user but 20+ years experience and I still count myself in the "mediocre" range.