Jeppebj

Bring back the startgun

I have died 10 times now. I have struggled with the game for 4 hours. You can not survive without a startgun. YOU NEED TO BBRING IT BACK PLEASE.

Uh, no. You can survive very easily, without a weapon, problem is most of the people who play now adays are people who think they can kill anyone and anything with nothing, and end up running into hostile zones with A: tons of zombies, B: areas with people in it, aren't cautious at all or not enough, or C: both. At the end of the day, you just need to lay low and find the correct buildings with weapons in them. If you can't do that then i'm afraid you don't play the role of the fittest.

How, when everytime i even crawl in a place, i get attacked by zombies ?

I dont agree, its playable and enjoyable... this isnt run and gun and when your at the start with no weapon you have to be like sam fisher...

I'm fine whit the "no startgun" now, but a melee combat system could make more accessible the game\mod for everyone

I dont agree' date=' its playable and enjoyable... this isnt run and gun and when your at the start with no weapon you have to be like sam fisher...

[/quote']

Running and gunning is imposable in the ArmA 2 model. Please pick another term, because no one was doing that.

I dont agree' date=' its playable and enjoyable... this isnt run and gun and when your at the start with no weapon you have to be like sam fisher...

[/quote']

Running and gunning is imposable in the ArmA 2 model. Please pick another term, because no one was doing that.

the term is correct... people assume this game is like other fps's and play it like other fps's... and a lot of people that are complaining are playing it as such... people dont like to adapt but complain.

I'm not a veteran. I've little over a week on this mod. Yet I do just fine without a gun.

It teaches you something very, VERY valuable. Avoid zombies. Even if you had a gun, this is a vital skill to learn. You don't want to shoot bullets unless it's the last resort. Or if you see a player, lawl.

Even WITH the current loot table bork, I've managed to find an m1911 with ammo in Cherno. Have not yet aggro'd a single zombie, yet I logged out near the city hall, having looted at least a dozen buildings (With only my m1911 and one mag to show for it, though.)

My experience, quite clearly, tells me I can survive just fine without a starter gun, even with the current loot table bork. If we're playing the same mod, so can you. It'll get easy-ish again when the loot table's fixed.

While I don't know whether or not the startgun should be brought back, SOME form of self-defense would be nice. And running/stealth, at least while not functioning, doesn't count as self defense.

@Fanboi's

The OP didn't say he wanted it to be CoD. In fact it's you guys who mention that game the most.

I personally hate CoD, and loved this game pre 1.7.1. But since the patch I enjoy myself a lot less and I think it's a bit unrealistic that a survivor can't even fend off one zombie. A startgun, even with only one clip, would cover the lack melee.

I have an honest question for all you that keep dying to zombies. Does your C key not work? Are you SURE you're fully standing and sprinting? Because The zombies can't catch me if I'm running and I can lose them easily. Its almost comedic how easy it is to lose zombies. Circle a barn, then run off. Run to the woods. Run through alleys.

How exactly are zombies catching and killing you?

The amount of sarcasm in your replies are getting a bit annoying. I have understood your point in your first reply, now you have 3 replies.

why so many post with this same topic... came on guys... its not so hard dashing through zombies and get a freeking gun...

Hey, (long time player, 1st time posting)

First off, dayz gameplay, the concept and it's implementation thus far, i think have been extremely good for alpha code. I've enjoyed dayz very much. Unfortunately not so much now. Don't get me wrong, i can certainly see why the no starting weapon change, might be a welcome addition for may experienced players, and that's good. But for new players, or even existing experienced players who disagree with this change. It's going to be a closure point. ie they stop playing. Because you die over and over again. And in a game where the fun of playing comes from playing with content that you might consider to be end game stuff in any other game, dieing over and over so early on, and never even getting to that good stuff, is going to leave lot of new players asking themselves whats the point. Which is never a good thing for new players to be thinking about your game. And thats fair enough, you might say... well we already have an existing community built up on dayz, the majority of whom like this change to the game, and if we lose *new players* because of this change, so be it. And that too is fair enough. But adopting such a attitude with a game that is only as popular as it is and only has said community built up around it, because of a sudden and large influx of *new players*, is to say the least, abit of a weird attitude to take. So it largely comes down to the fact of whether the devs are happy with the size of the community as it is, and want to deliver on what the majority of that community wants or whether they favor it's continued growth over certain sacrifices in the games hardcore nature, namely a staring weapon. Of course this is all at alpha stage so changes like this are still in debate.

Another interesting thing about making changes like this to the game, is how it can exacerbate already existing issues. ie this funny and yet tragic trend that is now occuring, where *those snipers* who used to camp spawn points, no longer do so. Now they just brazenly stand on the coast with any weapon, and shoot the proverbial fish in a barrel, ie new spawns.

At the end of the day dayz is a very polarizing game, with two camps of people on many aspects of the game, namely the whole PvP aspect, another part of the game which has a very definite split opinion.

Think of starting now more like hunger games, either A. Run into the main town and try to find a weapon and basic provisions really fast or B. try your luck further away in smaller towns

in A you may encounter stupid amount of zombies which should be easy, I don't crawl through a town I sprint through towns now and dodge from zombies, but more over is players like me who will shoot to kill anyone.

in B you may not find what you need to survive, so choice is yours.

Honestly, a 6 shot revolver with 6 shots. Would be SOMETHING to start out with. Having absoluetly nothing is too daunting for new players. Where we get spawned into a world having no idea where anything is what so ever. What buildings can be entered, which ones actually spawn equipment. Etx Etx, I know all you purists think you don't need it but even 6 bullets is something that would make the game that much better.

Starting out knowing you only have 6 shots, if you waste them you are probably going to die. If you save them you could also die. It gives you the first taste of fight or flight in the game. Instead all we currently have is flight or faster flight for new comers.

I disagree. Getting rid of the starter gun was a big improvement in my opinion, as it helps shift the emphasis away slightly from PvP deathmatch gameplay back onto zombie survival.

Bring back the startgun

No, thank you very much, i like my torch for now.

I was one of those players that wasn't very keen on removing a starting weapon. Well, I'm glad they did it. It's not that hard to loose zeds. It's not difficulit to find a gun. I'd be up for starting with two bandages and nothing else. I've learned to avoid zeds and find loot, you can also.

For those willing to whine about wasting $30, well you payed for Arma2. Dayz was free. If you don't like the mod don't play.

I thought the update was going to be alot harder. I've only been playing for maybe four days and I'm still learning alot. I found it quite easy to get through any town and loot. You just need to take it slow and stay prone and be careful not to get too close to any of the infected. You also need to know your controls well too.

BTW, I prefer to go in using stealth. It seems more realistic and immersive. There is more tension, kind of like a Romero film or the Walking dead.

Remember this mod is a simulation and that's what,s so great about it...the realism.

If your just going to run in like a halfwit you may as well just play Mario Brothers.