Jeppebj

Bring back the startgun

lol i started at night time with no weapon and i now have a shotgun its not easy to find a gun but nor is it hard im just missing water so thirsty! having no gun makes it more realistic in a way wish i could drink with my hands though also adds to the realism haha ;p i understand why you cant though lol

I am dying laughing at you people saying "Taking away the starting gun has removed PvP".

Your ignorance could feed the starving children in Africa for years on end. Removing one of the weakest guns in the game did not remove the aspect of PvP from DayZ - it heightened it.

Now once anyone gets a decent weapon, they will kill anyone they see to not lose it.

And before anyone tries to discredit my opinion and call me a CoD fag...

There are no CoD Kiddies

We are all CoD kidddies. CoD was a good game. Maybe you were so hip that you didn't buy it. But I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with it' date=' I just don't think every game needs to be like it. Hence I am working on this. But again, it's become a cliche here. Lets try and think of something else to say and think a bit deeper before labeling people as CoD Kiddies.

[/quote']

/signed

I have died 10 times now. I have struggled with the game for 4 hours. You can not survive without a startgun. YOU NEED TO BBRING IT BACK PLEASE.

Thats player mistakes not mechanics..

I get along fine, even better now i can sprint/lose zombie aggro

I think the people saying "Not spawning with a weapon cuts down on deathmatch" are missing the bigger issue. The reason not spawing with a weapon is important to the lively hood of the game IMO is that it teaches the most essential and valuable skill in the game. That skill is how to avoid zombies.

DayZ is all about never being detected. The longer you can go without being detected by a zombie, the longer you will survive as a newly spawned player. Also as others have mentioned, it teaches you to escape from aggro'd zombies. Once you master these two skills you can then be successful for a time.

Yes it cuts down on deathmatch a bit (maybe, people are still talking about spawn killing and such) but hey, Bandits gonna bandit yo whether you spawn with nothing or everything. But if you die a few times you will either learn from your mistakes and how to cope, or you will rage-quit/uninstall.

The only thing spawning with a weapon and a ton of supplies encouraged was a quick move north to escape the deathmatch or a sense of invincibility without learning any prerequisite skills.

Case and point: This popular DayZ video series in where a newb "demonstrates" how to survive solo.

I am dying laughing at you people saying "Taking away the starting gun has removed PvP".

Your ignorance could feed the starving children in Africa for years on end. Removing one of the weakest guns in the game did not remove the aspect of PvP from DayZ - it heightened it.

Now once anyone gets a decent weapon' date=' they will kill anyone they see to not lose it.

[/quote']

I disagree.

You're going to get the occasional jerk who thinks it's fun heading to the shoreline with a decent weapon to pick off defenceless new spawners... but for the most part, new spawners are much less likely to kill each other now. And players with a gun who run into someone who clearly doesn't have a gun are much less likely to shoot on sight out of fear.

Also, you call the old starter pistol one of the weakest guns in the game, but it was still very lethal, especially when aiming for another player's head. :-/

Now once anyone gets a decent weapon' date=' they will kill anyone they see to not lose it.

[/quote']

I disagree.

You're going to get the occasional jerk who thinks it's fun heading to the shoreline with a decent weapon to pick off defenceless new spawners... but for the most part, new spawners are much less likely to kill each other now. And players with a gun who run into someone who clearly doesn't have a gun are much less likely to shoot on sight out of fear.

Also, you call the old starter pistol one of the weakest guns in the game, but it was still very lethal, especially when aiming for another player's head. :-/

Every weapon is powerful when aiming for the head.

[/quote']

I disagree.

Every weapon is powerful when aiming for the head.

Crossbow aint.

heheheheheheheheh

The starting gun was so bad that it's better off being gone. It's not like if you start shooting zombies you'll survive with that pistol, if you have to kill zombies early on you are doing it wrong.

The starting gun was so bad that it's better off being gone. It's not like if you start shooting zombies you'll survive with that pistol' date=' if you have to kill zombies early on you are doing it wrong.

[/quote']

It wasn't that useless. :-/ Small groups of zombies were perfectly easy to get rid of with just a Makarov, and ammo was plentiful.

The starting gun was so bad that it's better off being gone. It's not like if you start shooting zombies you'll survive with that pistol' date=' if you have to kill zombies early on you are doing it wrong.

[/quote']

Makky is sick!

I don't have the energy right now to read through all the replies, but here's my 2 cents ;

New players such as myself who are completely unfamiliar with the game, it's a nightmare. We have no experience with dodging zombies, and whether you know it or not, more experienced players subconsciously know roughly how close you can get to a zombie without getting exposed. To take away the starting weapon is to leave us completely defenceless, and 9/10 times we're going to get ourselves killed. It doesn't make for a very enjoyable first 10 hours until we get to grips with it.

I believe the idea about giving a revolver with 6 shots only would be perfect. We don't feel totally unarmed, and if worst comes to worst and we do get spotted, we still have the slightest chance of staying alive, which is reassuring and will help keep us motivated.

Once, I managed to respawn in a 1.7.0 game even though I had the 1.7.1 files, and I was given a handgun and 6 clips.. It really made the game that much more enjoyable, and makes it just that little bit less daunting for people with no idea..

I too do not understand need to start with a gun.

I came into this game a couple weeks ago with the understanding that "gunshots attract a lot of attention" I spent my first 2 nights creeping around towns, dodging zombies and never fired a shot, I didn't want to, it was a last resort I didn't want to have to use.

I think this change is great. Under the old system I could come off the beach and head straight for the nearest source of good loot I could find, usually better weapons, just in case, to make me feel better. With your starting supplies you could ignore the basics and head straight for the good stuff.

Priorities are different now, your first need is food and water as it should be, screw a weapon, I'm going to die if I don't eat and drink.

Your not forced to play on the high pop servers. It might be considered a cheap tactic but if you getting shot at your spawn again and again no one is going to blame you for joining a low pop server simply to get a few cans of beans and away from the coast. At least I won't.

No offence to anyone but if you can't sneak into a town to scavenge a few cans of food and drink without shooting half a dozen zombies, your doing something wrong. Yes, the zombies in the new patch are more alert and your old safe distances and angles are going to need a re-think, don't take risks, if you planned route simply isn't safe routes take the long way around.

Look, I like this game because I don't have to shoot everything. If run and gun is your style... maybe Dayz is not your game, there are enough FPS's out there to fill that role. Those little towns near you spawn are now far more important than the lure of Cherno/Eleck or that barn you always get your winchester from. Priorities.

Dayz is Survival Horror, I've not played a game that nails the atmosphere like this one does in years, enjoy it for what is is, you don't need a gun... yet.

Vas.

[/quote']

Are you kidding? I often used the Makarov to fight off hordes of zombies when I first spawned in in (you can check my first DayZ series on YT for an example).

And just yesterday I sniped someone carrying a CZ in the hospital from the window of an apartment in Cherno using the Makarov. If you actually aim it is very useful indeed...

maybe at least spawn us with a flashlight. i cant see anything. what am i suppose to do at night

maybe at least spawn us with a flashlight. i cant see anything. what am i suppose to do at night

Check your backpack when you spawn, and you'll find a surprise waiting for you.

You should have a flashlight in your pack.

Also, you can try turning up your gamma and brightness all the way and set your HDR to Very High.

my friend has this same issue with no starting gun he complains about the spawn campers however this update gives 2 new things which makes me love it even more.

1. first order of business is you have to scavenge in order to survivor not run along the coast looking for freshly spawned players and shooting them to stock up.

2. now because all you spawn with is a flash light and some meds it makes new players actually think about being friendly with other players that way you can survive more easily hence not everyone shooting on site ( its still happens but my opinion not as much now unless its some guy with like a DMR.)

Now This is not a shooter with survival elements it is a survivor with shooting elements and now melee elements you main objective in this game should be to SURVIVE. and with this patch it brings back more of the survivor elements like it i assume was meant to have.

also a little side note. zombie apco happens not everyone is going to have a pistol as soon as it starts some people will have guns others wont even have melee weapons! its more realistic with this patch as well.

Now sorry for my somewhat long rant but this is my opinion on the newest patch and honestly i love it.

P.S. also tin cans are now your best friend with this patch ;)

You can not survive without a startgun.

How come then my average lifespan is about an hour? I play the game exactly the same way as i did before the starting gun got removed. Sneak to the nearest enterable, building, loot, if you find a weapon good if you don't keep looking.

I seriously can't fucking understand all the difficulties people suddenly keep having. The only explanation I have is that new players must be running around like crazy and keep getting killed by aggro zeds.