_Anubis_ (DayZ)

is dayz 100% PvP on the long term?

There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to approach random strangers and attempt to interact with them.

there may not be a big in-game benefit from random strangers, but some of the most fun times ive had is when i meet somebody in the game and then things happen.

To me sometimes playing with IRL friends over skype evolves the game into more of a pvp experience because you want to find them in game, get the best loot, kill bandits, etc. When somebody dies its all about finding them and gearing them back up which gets monotonous at times.

Firstly.

I own the game and Ill play it how I like and its not for you to tell others how to play.

2nd)

If you are to scared to come down from your tree fort(Elektro) and come out in to the open,then stay camping there and stop complaining.

Now that Iv got the hang survival thing worked out,I have no need to go to Elektro or any other sniper/bush wookie fodder locations.

So Im started a expedition from Kamanka to go around to whole map back to Kamanka.Been a changeling so far.Almost got killed by zombie at Sosnovka,very low blood and desperately hunting for meat to get my blood up,following tree lines and tops of ridges so not to expose my self.

They tell there are some boats to be had at Berezino and I heard rumors of a mythical Island of the coast ...this true?..Oh wait,you wouldn't know.

Firstly

Yes, you own the game and are entitled to playing it however you'd like. But i hope you realize that DayZ is a multiplayer game. You are supposed to meet and interact with other players and not sit in the remotest regions of Chernarus doing nothing but gathering items.

Second

I haven't been scared in DayZ for a LONG time. That's the problem...

Well, until very recently where i invited the WHOLE server to come down and fight us. We made ourselves EASY targets and i told them what i had (DMR, AS50, Coyote pack and full inventory) and they knew that we had all the rooftops.

So they finally came, IN FORCE... And killed us all without problem from very far away with sniper rifles. We couldn't even see them get into position, let alone find them as they opened fire on us.

During this time i wasn't scared, i was just amused and happy they finally decided to leave the wilderness and take a bloody risk.

What got my heart pumping was when i spawned back in Drakon (500 meters east of Elektro) and i ran into the school. Found a double barrel shotgun with 2 shots and a guy walked in through the north entrance and i slugged him in the face point blank.

I stole his gear and ran out east on a flanking mission to the sniper hill. THAT's the first time in a month where my heart actually pumped harder and i had an adrenaline rush.

Unfortunately i was gunned down by an AK-74, i wasn't paying attention to the industrial area on my right.

Whenever i venture out to Berezino, Stary Sobor, NWA, NEA etc etc i am not scared... I am bored out of my mind!

And when i finally find another player it usually ends with him dying within the minute. Even if we try to rob him as players knows two things only.

Either they run away scared shitless or they fire back randomly and force us to kill them either way.

The point is, running around the map is less risky than staying in Elektro. You just talk big because you have been out in the wilderness for so long you think you are invincible.

No, i wouldn't know about some island east out in the nowhere. I don't like playing the exploration game hours on end finding nothing at all.

unless a beneficial system is developed ingame to helping people it will only get worse not better.

there is little incentive to help. more incentive to kill players and that is the reason why sos is the way of the masses.

I am slowly reaching that conclusion after weeks of playing. So what makes it really different from CoD at the end? A bigger-than-usual deathmatch arena?

The 'survival' stage lasts 2-3 hours (if you know what to do), the time to get a couple of water bottles, hatchet, knife and matches. Then you can survive forever, going occasionally to the nearest barn to integrate your diet with canned food and beverages. You do not really need a weapon beside the hatchet, since all the animals can be easily hunted (except for the rabbit).

Other than that, it is pure, total PvP. I consider myself kind of average/lousy but I have not died due to Zombies (other than they glitching through walls) since ages. I only die due to other players KOS mentality, even freshly spawned... What's the point of killing an harmless player? Must be some kind of sick fun.

I really like the sandbox concept, but after a steep learning curve you reach quickly a plateau where you could stay forever: no Zombie can catch you while raiding a town.You may be wounded in a building fight with them but it requires a few meat to recover if you bandage yourself quickly.

The loot respawning mechanism guarantees that after enough attemps you will find what you need. You will have all you can have, even a military weapon and ammo if you have the perseverance to visit enough Deer Stands, no need to go to fabled NWAF or Stary Sobor. Even if for the occasional PvP (if you play lone wolf) a crappy L-E is enough: 99.9% who sees first kills first. End of story.

It is almost like the entire concept is driving you toward the endgame: kill or be killed by (because it will statistically happen sooner or later) another player. Nothing more.

So paradoxically, you get "more" from dayz the "less" you know. Map, compass and gps make navigation a breeze and to be honest, you do not even need those tools after a while. As I said I am lousy but the landscape of dayz is excellent and after a while you can navigate by using visual landmarks only. The unknown environment challenges you, but only at the beginning.

What I am trying to say is that I am surprised in seeing the zombie-apocalypse-fight for survival side fading so quickly after having understood the basic survival rules: it means that part is only a facade, a scenario where the 'real' fight (the PvP part) takes place.

I wonder whether this could be counter balanced somehow, or I am simply wrong in assuming dayz is solidly different from a typical multiplayer/deathmatch stuff: the only thing that comes to my mind is the "medic" idea.

_Anubis_

Agree on this totally. That is after when I found out I went moved on. Dayz seems not being finished yet. Sure PVP is here but ArmaII does make the PVP more challenging :)

Wait for SA hope that will change everything, in the mean time you can sometimes jump on Dayz play until you get bored of it and go to another game :)

Yes, you can theoretically survive with just water bottles and a hatchet and hunting equipment, but if you want to spend 5 hours in the woods hunting rabbits, be my guest. The game is not necessarily pure PvP. but more pure player interaction. I have recently had a lot of success with the friendly approach, idk why, i guess im just lucky :D

Side note: after hunting a while, I have discovered that looking for animals left and right is is useless due to the spawn-mechanism: animals do not spawn 100% randomly, but spawn preferably in certain location which are fixed.

Once you find one of those location (most of them are in open fields) you are done. When you kill the first, the second spawns nearby (I mean within viewing distance): I chain-killed and gutted two boars once, then I stopped (I couldn't store more and the third spawn was a rabbit).

Just remember that location and go back periodically, it is the equivalent of a pond or a fountain for water bottles...I have seen several places like that.

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_

There's always small pockets of people who try to help others, but the vast majority of dayz players have a shoot on sight mentality. It's just part of the game we all have to live with.

Or you can start to get creative.

Yeah for a while, and we still are, you can be completely decked out with a nice base and helis. Then what, kill people?

Well my frend and I killed some people here and there for the thrill. We still don't consider ourselves "bandits."

Then you start thinking of new things.

1) MESS WITH PEOPLE--- For example, last night my friend and I picked up a survivor from side chat in our heli and said he could make a base with us and that we knew a great spot. So we took him to debug island and told him will make camp here. We got him to get out then we fly off as he shot a few rounds at us. My friend and I had a good laugh and I finally said that we shouldn't leave him there and make him respawn. SO we picked him up again and found a Betty Van and give it to him.

2) IT'S A TRAP--- Or blow people up with those random satchels that are hackd in. hahaah That's alwas fun. Place it next to a car. Tell them that they can have it. Then blow them up :D

....I guess that's still PvP though lol.

OR

Join the Wasteland Medics or some group like that and help people. My frend and I had trouble thinking of "What the heck are we gonna do now that were both Heroes?" So we found people joined up, or just helped for a few moments. Gave people Anti-Botics, Cars, and made there day.

It's doesn't have to be PvP. It only is when you make it.

Make a role for yourself and play it.

Try having a look at some of the RP sites like www.dayzrp.com

That way there is not such a focus on pvp but playing your role and creating stories with other people.

Dayz have evolved into one of the most unique fps shooters ever, what's wrong with that? :)

• Like 1

Make challenges for yourself or create achievements to keep yourself occupied.

Maybe join a random server with a decent amount of people, and survive as long as you can without storing stuff in tents, and vehicles (Nomad style). Until the standalone comes out, there is very limited since this is just a mod.

Make a role for yourself and play it.

Try having a look at some of the RP sites like www.dayzrp.com

That way there is not such a focus on pvp but playing your role and creating stories with other people.

I've two roles I hunt players, kill them and take their gear or I provide overwatch for my team as they hunt players, kill them and take their gear :thumbsup:
  • Like 2

The 'survival' stage lasts 2-3 hours (if you know what to do), the time to get a couple of water bottles, hatchet, knife and matches. Then you can survive forever, going occasionally to the nearest barn to integrate your diet with canned food and beverages. You do not really need a weapon beside the hatchet, since all the animals can be easily hunted (except for the rabbit).

Other than that, it is pure, total PvP. I consider myself kind of average/lousy but I have not died due to Zombies (other than they glitching through walls) since ages. I only die due to other players KOS mentality, even freshly spawned... What's the point of killing an harmless player? Must be some kind of sick fun.

Something to do?