Jex =TE= (DayZ)

Are zombies really that easy?

Or is it we just learned how to deal with them and it's easy now?

Perhaps the zeds should always be tweaked, or maybe even randomised on how they react so you never really know what to expect or how to "play the engine"?

I think they are pretty difficult if you pick up more than 4 or 5. The erratic running means you don't have much of a clear shot until they get in your face. So it's all perspective, they are hard in their own way.

This is my biggest concern with the game, how zombies always spawn in predictable places with predictable numbers, and while their detection isn't always predictable it's still simple enough to sneak past them. I made a thread with a possible fix if you care to look/comment.

I can't believe people have been complaining about the zombies in the 1.7.1.1 version. They are awesome now. Aside from the spawning and being stuck in a building, sometimes 4 fused together, I have no idea what people are complaining about.

For the first time in this game ever, I lost a zombie tail by using line-of-sight! It was awesome. They hit harder now, but I lost one by running around the corner of a building a few times and then going into a crouch run right after turning the corner. It was awesome!

They also are not equipped with super-senses like people seem to be saying. I was crouch-RUNNING right behind one, on grass, and didn't aggo it. I was probably only 10 feet away, running. The line-of-sight might have been increased, since my Visibility meter seems to show I'm much more visible when running and crouch-running. But the Sound meter isn't showing anything too crazy. What are people saying has become so difficult now?

They also are not equipped with super-senses like people seem to be saying. I was crouch-RUNNING right behind one' date=' on grass, and didn't aggo it.

[/quote']

That would be because aggro is now based on line of sight, sight being the direction of the zombies body.

I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out the fact that Zombies are only easy AFTER you have played the game for hours.

People learn how the zombies work and when they have sussed them out they say, "They're too easy!" not realising this is probably due to the experience they have gained. They don't realise they are veterans rather than noobs?

No; it takes all but maybe an hour or two to tinker around with Zombie aggro mechanics to figure out that they are far easier than before. The ability to instantly deaggro through abuses with buildings, walls, trees, etc. is stupid. The zombies do not continue to investigate once deaggroed, so players can actually loot far faster than before. At least, running through a city was a complete death sentence before if you didn't ALT+F4 or gun them down. Now, it's a complete joke. Your worst enemy are glitches and bandits still.

The zombie aggro is still dumb; they can see you a mile away coming if they are facing in your direction, but you can LOS so easily despite their supposed eagle eye vision.

Yeah there have been some things that've gotten better and some worse. I remember seeing somewhere that the crawlers are programed to head in your general direction. I've seen people say that, even though a crawler wasn't aggro'd, it was crawling in a circle to slowly follow the player around. Maybe Rocket to use something like that, and after a zombie loses its aggro when you run around a corner, it could use the same code for a bit that the crawlers use, where it will more or less slowly go in the direction of the player for a bit. That would work right?

I can't believe people have been complaining about the zombies in the 1.7.1.1 version. They are awesome now. Aside from the spawning and being stuck in a building' date=' sometimes 4 fused together, I have no idea what people are complaining about.

For the first time in this game ever, I lost a zombie tail by using line-of-sight! It was awesome. They hit harder now, but I lost one by running around the corner of a building a few times and then going into a crouch run right after turning the corner. It was awesome!

They also are not equipped with super-senses like people seem to be saying. I was crouch-RUNNING right behind one, on grass, and didn't aggo it. I was probably only 10 feet away, running. The line-of-sight might have been increased, since my Visibility meter seems to show I'm much more visible when running and crouch-running. But the Sound meter isn't showing anything too crazy. What are people saying has become so difficult now?

[/quote']

i like the line of sight business with them, but they can see too far and sometimes through buildings. i've had one aggro from 200m as i was crouch-running into a town. i came in behind a little shack as cover, but i saw a zombie in the street flip around and start running at me before i even got to the building. pretty ridiculous, imo but at the same time i've lost a pack of 7 by just running through some trees. went from 7 to 2 doing that.

so it's a little iffy. they work, then they don't, then they kind of work again

I think the problem with zombie difficulty is that they are way too hard right up until they are way too easy.

New players get slaughtered by them over and over. But then you learn the tricks, some of which are more like engine tricks than game tricks, and they aren't a threat after.

I'm just getting to that point in the new patch now. You can abuse line of sight to get out of any situation really. I'm thinking full sprinting + lose in los is so much easier than stealth that stealth is never really worth it.

I'd like to see dodging via line of sight abuse nerfed a bit -- give the zombies some kind of fuzzy memory so they don't forget about you so instantly. They should still have a vague notion that fresh brains were somewhere over in this direction, running in this direction.

And in the other direction it should be a more effective to sneak past them. All the zombies have incredible sight and hearing right now.

It might a bit early to tell for sure, I do only have a few hours in 1.7.1.1 but I think the recent zombies changes are resulting in people sprinting everywhere instead of sneaking. Just doesn't feel right. Should be a mix of the two.

True, yeah I've been in that situation where once in a while they see you from too far away. But breaking line of sight is a good thing now, because even if it isn't perfect, we need some way to lose them because 1) there's no melee attacks, and 2) the zombies are insanely fast. So, something has to give. Might as well be line of sight being broken to lose a trailing group of those bloodsuckers

You're staying they are easy now? With a low-graded weapon, you can barely kill them while they're agro.

The new zombies are a serious threat. Still, one zombie by himself is manageable while two can be hectic. Once you go three plus however your in some serious danger.

The way I see it is that zombies are just there to give you something else to think about with regard to players.

For example, they force you to sneak through towns in order to avoid being detected by players, as a gunshot will give you away.

You might have to think twice about shooting some dude in a large city because you will be swarmed by zombies, presenting a difficult getaway.

You aggro a zombie while looting and are forced to shoot it, possibly giving away your presence. Do you want to risk it and go on, or bug out and hit somewhere else?

It might be cool to have some areas be more difficult through zombie numbers, health, or damage in order to force a bit of cooperation, though.

The way I see it is that zombies are just there to give you something else to think about with regard to players.

For example' date=' they force you to sneak through towns in order to avoid being detected by players, as a gunshot will give you away.

You might have to think twice about shooting some dude in a large city because you will be swarmed by zombies, presenting a difficult getaway.

You aggro a zombie while looting and are forced to shoot it, possibly giving away your presence. Do you want to risk it and go on, or bug out and hit somewhere else?

It might be cool to have some areas be more difficult through zombie numbers, health, or damage in order to force a bit of cooperation, though.

[/quote']

Military areas?

No; it takes all but maybe an hour or two to tinker around with Zombie aggro mechanics to figure out that they are far easier than before. The ability to instantly deaggro through abuses with buildings' date=' walls, trees, etc. is stupid. The zombies do not continue to investigate once deaggroed, so players can actually loot far faster than before. At least, running through a city was a complete death sentence before if you didn't ALT+F4 or gun them down. Now, it's a complete joke. Your worst enemy are glitches and bandits still.

The zombie aggro is still dumb; they can see you a mile away coming if they are facing in your direction, but you can LOS so easily despite their supposed eagle eye vision.

[/quote']

Having played about 2 hours today of just running through towns to deliberately get zombies chasing me I have to say I agree. Before I was playing the game, this time I was playing the engine.

I can now say I can have any number of zeds chasing me and I'll even turn around to run circles around them and even try chasing them. Then like you said, run through some buildings and u lose them (if not finish off the stragglers with the hatchet - now making the game even easier).

It's gone from sneaking to just running in full pelt and I don't give a shit about the zombies right now.

I like the zeds the way they are now.

What we need is other lethal environmental elements kicking in.

Nah, the zombies are just fine. People just have gotten more careful, thats why they seem so easy. They still can break your legs with one hit, make you pass out, hit hard and easily make you bleed. They are still a threat.

I think the problem with zombie difficulty is that they are way too hard right up until they are way too easy.

New players get slaughtered by them over and over. But then you learn the tricks' date=' some of which are more like engine tricks than game tricks, and they aren't a threat after.

[/quote']

That was the point I was trying to make and now i've learnt the engine, well, see my post above :)

The new zombies are a serious threat. Still' date=' one zombie by himself is manageable while two can be hectic. Once you go three plus however your in some serious danger.

[/quote']

I would disagree. Try this, when u spawn a a new player, just run through every town and when you've had enough, just dodge through buildings to lose them.

Got a hatchet? Ur now invincible if ur careful with it's use. Just go in a building and fire away.

They are still a threat.

I spent half an hour sprinting around cherno, lost every zombie I had after me. I even had to go back to get them because I wanted 10 of them chasing me through the streets, the most i could manage was 3 and they were easily lost.

However, run down the road with 20 zeds chasing you and other players scatter like chickens! It's like "fuck wit me, my zombie crew are gonna make u a new asshole!"

Nobody fucks with you when you got yourself a Z-Crew!!

lol

I too only have a couple hours in with the new patch. But i hear what people are saying "it's a run fest" now.

Someone in this thread said earlier about a combination of Z's moving around. SOme of them that spawn around a city for instance are half "new" zombie with this LOS thing, and half are the old version that are easier to sneak around but if they get on your tail they will not loose you. Is that possible? Seems like that would be quiet difficult whether you are a sneaky type or a type to game the engine and just run around and then thru a building.

For example' date=' they force you to sneak through towns in order to avoid being detected by players, as a gunshot will give you away.

[/quote']

Bingo me old biscuit.

What we need now are thousands of the fuckers.

Not 300, we need 3000+.

We need wandering hordes of the things toodling about the country ready to pounce.

We need cities representing cities. 1000+ in cherno and electro.

We need to turn the area into a living hell that would scare the shit out of anyone dumb enough to walk through it and then we need to add some fun math.

I like the new zombies.. except the fact that other players train then into buildings and they stay there. They need learn to walk out.

Respawn and head to a building to find a weapon only to find 3 zombies inside is not fun :(

On crowded servers it has been more than 50% of buildings had a zombie waiting inside.

Jim, go play left4dead

I too only have a couple hours in with the new patch. But i hear what people are saying "it's a run fest" now.

Someone in this thread said earlier about a combination of Z's moving around. SOme of them that spawn around a city for instance are half "new" zombie with this LOS thing' date=' and half are the old version that are easier to sneak around but if they get on your tail they will not loose you. Is that possible? Seems like that would be quiet difficult whether you are a sneaky type or a type to game the engine and just run around and then thru a building.

[/quote']

I think they should go further and have the zeds have random abilities so u don't know what ur going to encounter with them.

Or...

Make it one hit, one kill from a zombie. Everyone knows you get hit by a zombie, u turn into a zombie. You are fucked the moment they scratch you (or bite you).

You want to make people respect zombies, make it so u die when u get hit, or u cahnge into a zombie and have the option to go running around looking for players lol.

I like the new zombies.. except the fact that other players train then into buildings and they stay there. They need learn to walk out.

Respawn and head to a building to find a weapon only to find 3 zombies inside is not fun :(

On crowded servers it has been more than 50% of buildings had a zombie waiting inside.

Jim' date=' go play left4dead

[/quote']

Oh no? Zombies in buildings?

Shit, what next? Zombies in choppers?

Congratulations on missing the point.

There should be zombies in buildings. There should be zombies in field's, There should be hordes of the things everywhere and there should be more zombies shambling about the back door you just used to exploit the walking mechanic and every single one of them should be capable of killing you.

Every step should be a risk.

Wanna play bandit?

Off you go, check your area, take your calculation and hope you come up odds on.

Otherwise die.

Its not about how you think you're a hero.

Your gear and 'loot' is irrelevant.

Its about how you die and what you leave behind.

Jim' date=' go play left4dead

[/quote']

Oh no? Zombies in buildings?

Shit, what next? Zombies in choppers?

There should be zombies in buildings. There should be zombies in field's, There should be hordes of the things everywhere and there should be more zombies shambling about the back door you just used to exploit the walking mechanic and every single one of them should be capable of killing you.

Every step should be a risk.

Wanna play bandit?

Off you go, check your area, take your calculation and hope you come up odds on.

Otherwise die.

Its not about how you think you're a hero.

Your gear and 'loot' is irrelevant.

Its about how you die and what you leave behind.