Sign in to follow this  
stevenkane24

How to detect hackers and what to look for in logs?

I'm REALLY freaking sick of script kiddies coming into my server and injecting scripts and ruining everyones time and screwing EVERYONE over. I've had atleast 20 times that people have ran kill scripts and I have NO idea how to detect them. What logs do I check in vilayer? How do I prevent them? Do I need proof to ban them? Also I found this

http://imgur.com/V0JwizK

http://imgur.com/NM5HS8B

So, how to stop them and how to ban and what to look for in logs, any ways to prevent this kind of stuff? Also he spawned like 8 pipe bombs but im too lazy to edit out MORE IP adresses. So any tips?

Thanks man, helped me a TON. one more question, if I screw up a ban and ban the wrong guy by accident my server wont get blacklisted right?

If you're on Vilayer your server is non official anyways. You can ban someone for whatever reason you like. I recommend not to do that though.

• Like 1

Tbh I havent looked at what kind of server you had, the guide is intended for Public servers (can probably be used on private hives as well, but it's not written for private hives since they've got decent admin tools apparently). Like Wotuu said, if you have a private hive server you can basicly ban for whatever reason you can humanly think of... Wouldnt recommend that either though... :)

thats the thing, Im not on a private hive, im on a public official hive connected to the main dayz hive. its hosted by vilayer, but its not a vilayer hive.

If you're on Vilayer your server is non official anyways. You can ban someone for whatever reason you like. I recommend not to do that though.

Our server is a Vilayer one, and it's connected on the Public Hive.

What do you mean by non - official ?

Our server is a Vilayer one, and it's connected on the Public Hive.

What do you mean by non - official ?

Oh I forgot Vilayer had official servers too, my bad.

Thanks man, helped me a TON. one more question, if I screw up a ban and ban the wrong guy by accident my server wont get blacklisted right?

Sorry, didnt read your question :) We all make mistakes, it depends on how you deal with the mistakes you make. I've banned some1 wrongfully, but got him off the banlist straight away. In the case that you might be some1 for hacking which ends in him/her not hacking and they appeal you can just lift the ban. As far as I know servers wont be blacklisted (anymore).