Sign in to follow this  
adunato

How to be "friendly" without getting killed?

So I embraced the "friendly" concept and try not to shoot people first, however so far it has been a miserable failure, just to quote a couple of episodes..

#1 I see two guys on top of the fire station in elektro - I exchange a couple of words with one of them, he seems to have good intentions, as soon as he sees me he shoots me dead on the spot

#2 I'm in a barn, I see a guy coming in - I say the "friendly, don't shoot" thing, he sees me and shoots me dead on the spot

I could go on for a while...all end in the same way - not to mention the ones that were on the reverse side (saw me first) and neven bothered do anything other than shoot me in the back

I suppose a way to go about it is to shoot / knock down everybody on sight (when in danger of being shot) and then patch them up? The basic rule in this game seems to be "shoots everything that moves", so I wonder how do you go about being "friendly" without getting killed every single time?

that's the fun of the game, but trust me when you get a friendly who IS friendly it is alot of fun and worth all the shootings

• Like 1

Make sure you're in a safe position before making contact. Don't try and befriend everyone you see.

Most of the friends I've made have been through random encounters. Sometimes it'll be because I helped someone by killing some zeds for them, sometimes it's through a chance meeting in a supermarket. Just remember everyone is VERY paranoid. Even people that don't want to shoot on site will do so out of panic or paranoia. If you run around shouting friendly it'll end in tears 99% of the time. Just play the game, try to survive as best you can and you will learn when to make contact and when to avoid it.

Much like real life the words you choose and how you judge each situation is important. There is no "right" way to go about it, you'll have to rely on common sense and instinct.

• Like 7

Same story. It's hard being a nice guy on here and sometimes I just want to KoS since everybody else does.

First of all, always try to see them before they see you - this means you can talk to them while they cannot see you, and take control of the situation. Second, always make clear you WILL shoot them if they point their gun at you, so never loose them out of sight. So always be in control of the situation and you will eventually be able to engage in a talk, but still, NEVER trust anybody you don't know. Just because you've been talking to someone for a few minutes doesn't mean they won't shoot you when they have an oportunity.

Also, on the second case you described, the player may not have heard you. This happens sometimes, so always make sure the other player can hear you, otherwise type in the chat. If you are pretty sure the player heard you, but he didn't answer, you should really look out for him, as he might want to kill you

Edited by BdogZ
  • Like 1

Well, actually the best thing to do.

Specially if you are playing on laggy server shoot on sight.

I'll tell you why, Once in taviana I was playing, I was at the airport with my friend

I had lag on that server about 150 or something like that, Somebody called us while we're driving a motorcycle he said help me need morphine, we said all right just drop your weapon if we saw you holding it we will shoot you he said fine.

We went to give him a morphine, my friend said i'll keep my distance in case you got killed, I said all right and I went to him and Pressed G instead of giving morphine ( You know that noob animation which takes long and kinda hard to stop it ), he took his gun from the backpack ( He thought am doing that animation and it'll be a weak point ) , before he even holds it I shot him in the head, but guess what He didn't fuckin die.

And yet he killed me, of cource he died afterwards because of the desync.

my friend didn't even see him taking his gun.

This what lag does, if you want to be friendly, Simple step!

Have a backup and play on non-laggy servers :P

Guess what my friend saw on his body, Freakin damn morphine!!

Rule number 1 which everybody knows it, Don't trust anybody.

Edited by FL00D

had Uzi, AS50 gillies. saw a guy that was a total bambi. for some strange reason i didn't kill him.

asked what he needs. gave him food and drink. followed me to a large town. i kiled off ~20 zeds for him. helped him find gear. found him a 1911. showed him where it was. all of a sudden he axes me in the head.

sorry KOS is rule #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for me. moment of weakness will get you killed.

• Like 1

Exactly. Do not trust anyone, and anyone you see might be a possible threat, so either kill them or keep them in sight at all times

Yeah... I figured that KOS was the only way to go... I guess the "friendly" part is best sought through ts and such or friends where people are more unlikely to stab you in the back... that makes you think how things would end up in a real post-apocalypse scenario... just like dayz

I just kill every motherfucker I see. Unless they help me

Don't know if banditing is actually a good tip, kill people who you find will threaten you, this is, if you have a camp, for example, you don't people wandering around it

How to be friendly in a successful way?

1. KOS every bandit you see. Don't be weak = only kill bandits and people who shoot at you.

2. Practise

3. Die

4. Practise

5. Die

6. Success

Much more fun in long run.

Edited by Ansssi
  • Like 1

Some good advice about how to approach someone here. The main thing is to approach them when either you both have something to gain by teaming up (like you're both fresh spawns, both being hunted by some jerks in a heli, etc), or when you are clearly in a stronger position--you see them first, you're more geared up, have friends, etc.

You'll also want to pick your moment. In the middle of Cherno... not so much. Running into a poorly equiped random in Kamenka, sure. Generally the further north I get, the less I assume someone will be friendly. That said, there's no guarantees. My buddy and I flagged down a Land Rover just West of the NWAF and it was full of about 7 ghillies with snipers, searching for heli crash sites. They gave us a ride (we were lost).

I also teamed up with a bandit who was being plagued by the same bunch of jerks in a heli who'd killed my friend. He and I repaired a motorbike, shot the pilot out of the heli, and he ended up sacrificing himself in a 4 v 1 firefight so I could flank around to the parked heli and gun down those dicks with their own door gun. :) That guy was epic.

TL;DR, keep trying, pick your moments and don't get too upset when it doesn't work out. :)

• Like 1

When choosing to be friendly, the moment you see each-other ought to be in your favour, and your favour alone. If they ask you to come to them, do not listen. Although they have quite comforting voices & word's, the amount of Friendlies v. The amount of Bandit's is, what it seems, a 50-1 odd. As such, you should ask them. If they're absolutely Friendly & sure they'll come to you. It's much like a Bandit situation, but rather then exchanging Gun fire you exchange Supplies & amazing memories. Also, above all, be very cautious to Bandit's. Although New-Spawns are unarmed ect. they tend to kill you when they have the chance. If you're weak, you die - It's rather like 'The Walking Dead' in a way. (..Yes, my information may be different to other's, but It works best as far as I've experienced)

One side note: If you see an armed Bandit, shoot. Never hesitate. As a Bandit myself, killing Heroes is worth at least 20 Survivors, so they'll target you.

My Hero Character: 52 Day's Alive, 1,362 Zeds Killed, 74 Bandit's killed, Countless memories & hilarious moments.

If you want to be on the safe side, you have only one option: KOS; anything else increases the risk to be shot in the back.

However that's where the fun is. I have been killed and I have been helped. I have helped but so far (luck) not killed unless in self-defense.

One more thing: if you play on a private server the chances to make friends are higher since people will come back there and if they act bad, they'll be remembered.

_Anubis_

I'm still new to the game as well only been playing for 5 days, so far been killed twice, but i just shrug it off, being friendly might suck sometimes but it also has the best rewards! I just got a new friend and he has a van, even found a car for me, just need to fixer up and find were i died (glitched through a wall in the electro fire station ><) and i'll be golden! It really does make the game that much better when you have other people to play with...if you want you should check out the Fogeyz server, i'v only seen/heard of 3 bandits so far.

had Uzi, AS50 gillies. saw a guy that was a total bambi. for some strange reason i didn't kill him.

asked what he needs. gave him food and drink. followed me to a large town. i kiled off ~20 zeds for him. helped him find gear. found him a 1911. showed him where it was. all of a sudden he axes me in the head.

sorry KOS is rule #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for me. moment of weakness will get you killed.

"moment of weakness will get you killed" - Don't mistake my kindness for weakness.

Just because I'm friendly doesn't mean I won't drop a bambi as soon as he seems to think he's getting my stuff. You messed up by being within axe range of that guy. Lack of situational awareness was your mistake which is a weakness.

Playing as a friendly is infinitely harder than being a "bandit" and that's why I'm friendly (plus I play how I would act if it were a RL situation). I play games for a challenge, not to just take the easy route and CoD my way through a game that was supposed to be the opposite of that.

If there's more than you, shoot them

If they've got a gun, shoot them.

If they say friendly, shoot them

If they have an axe, shoot them

If they have a better gun than you, say "friendly" then shoot them (back of the head)

If they seem to be dead, shoot them just to make sure.

Above all else, shoot them. There are no "friendlies", only enemies with beans. :)

• Like 1

If there's more than you, shoot them

This is a one-way ticket to death, IME. If there's more than you and they haven't seen you yet, run and hide.

This is a one-way ticket to death, IME. If there's more than you and they haven't seen you yet, run and hide.

Just proving why CoD types are too stupid to be truly successful. *shrug*

My concept of friendly is avoid all contact if possible, and shoot anyone that got a gun pointed at your direction, I used to help every survivor I can, but always end up on them back stabbing me.

Getting back to the question 'how to be friendly without being killed', there's only so much you can do as your fate is in their hands.

Think of your potential friend. They are either someone who wants to be friendly in Dayz or someone likes killing with whatever justifications they like (like GeneralVirus). Theres no lasting friendship to be had with the killers, just take the advice on identifying them and avoid them.

But the real future friends are out there are just like you (rare as they maybe) and if you can get past the intial trust issue they won't betray you. They're worried about the killers and will kill you if you come across as one. So thats one thing - don't panic them and look like a killer. Making voice contact is probably the best way. Suddenly appearing in their field of view holding a gun probably isn't.

Beyond that you'll either find out you've picked a friend or you'll die.