Sign in to follow this  
Stetzer

Third Person suggestion

Rocket,

I assume at some point you will consider turning off the third person view. Whether it's permanent or just a test, I feel like it's going to happen at some point. I'm also aware that this is a hot button issue with one side defending third person and another attacking it. Personally, I'm in favor of third person because to me it gives the game a more tactical feel like Rainbow Six meets Zombies. However, I still dislike being able to use the camera to see people over walls / around corners.

There are two big reasons why I like third person. The first reason is that it makes me feel more attached to my character. For instance, I get Camo or a Ghillie Suit, and I can see it on my character. It makes me like that character just that much more, and it makes that character feel much more important to keep alive. You lose all the aesthetics attached to a character in first person.

The second reason why I like third person is the spatial awareness. In real-life, humans have spatial awareness by using all of their senses. They also have the ability to move their eyes to see rather than their whole head. Often times in first person, it's hard to judge the distance of your character to zombies or objects nearby. The same can be said for first person in vehicles (tunnel vision much?). Also, first person on a bike or motorcycle is horrendous due to the bumpy terrain.

Here's what I'm proposing to you...

This is the biggest one I hope you'd consider trying. Move the third person camera closer to the player and more over the shoulder. It would make seeing around corners / over big walls much harder.

Would it be possible to force first person view in prone? This would eliminate the issue of snipers seeing over small walls such as fire station roof. It would also eliminate the issue of being able to shoot so well in tall grass (only on servers with crosshair on).

Would it be possible to give third person view a large accuracy penalty? This would make firing in third person only useful in a close quarters situation, and it would force people to aim down the sights.

If anyone has feedback they would like to add, feel free to do so. Please keep it related to my suggestion only. Remember, these are just my suggestions and opinions. I'm not looking to start a giant first person vs third person thread. Let's keep it civil people. In the end, we just want a better game for everyone.

I agree that it needs to be kept, but it does need to have some tradeoffs with first person. I think the accuracy bit when not aiming down sights is a great way to balance it.

Yeah, I'd mainly like third person to be kept for the purpose of movement more than anything.

It should remain a server configuration.

I agree that it should remain an option, but something should be done to prevent seeing over walls / around corners. If third person has to be taken away, I hope we at least can keep third person in vehicles because certain vehicles in first person make me almost sick.