KLM

Assigning hidden "Serial Numbers" to items to prevent duping

Hi all,

So I'm not sure if its technically feasible within the code of the game, but would it be possible to assign every item some kind of serial number or unique identifier so that if someone duplicates some items, whether intentional or not, the server checks for any items present that have the same serial number and deletes one of them?

Because duping is bad mmmk... and ridiculously easy to do at the moment, even without the help of a friend.

Thoughts?

i accidentaly duped a tent yesterday, i just put it out somewhere for someone to find cuz i like playing fair.

but yeah this could be an issue.

I always thought that duping items was removed a couple patches back, but I found out just last night that a single person can dupe items, virtually anywhere, with some tricks.

And that is simply retarded :/

each item already has its own variable in the database

what they need is some kron jobs or Stored Procedures in order to flush the duplcate data at intervals

to be honest kinda suprised they dont LOL

I cannot testify as to single person duping, but two-person duping still works in patch 1.7.1.5. Obviously I won't detail our method of duping here (shitstorms of duping would follow), but if someone in the dev team would pm me I will run them through our method step by step.

I think the serial number method of control the op described is good, the only problem I see with it is that it introduces another lag creating thing, and day z has already got enough of those.

A better solution might be to check once on log in, and once on log out, and delete BOTH offending items as punishment. Repeat offenders have all their items destroyed. Repeat repeat offenders have characters killed. Repeat repeat repeat offenders banned.

Than you for taking the time to read this and keep up the good work!

I can assure you duping with a single person works, but yeh like you said above, I don't really want to post it for fear of others learning how to do it (found out by accident, like most ppl seem to).

The devs may already be aware of it I'm not sure, but if you could pm me aswell (EDIT: As in if a dev could pm me aswell) I'll explain this method aswell. I would pm a dev but directly but I assume it would just get buried under the flood of pms they would get :)

I acknowledge that there may be some technical issues as to if this is even possible without causing large amounts of lag... but since I don't know a thing about how these things are coded, I'll leave that to a dev to decide whether its even feasable or not.