Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Fever

Weapon Suggestions

Hey there everyone. This will probably be a big post so before I start I just want to say that Dayz is a lot of fun and thanks to rocket and the folks that help him out and keep the website and everything up and running. The improvements I suggest are not because I think that some of the weapons are game breaking, they just seem somewhat unrealistic and irritate me.

Ok then, lets jump right in-

Military Rifles and Machineguns-- I loved 'em in the army and I love shooting my brother's AR-15, but I think they show up too often. They should still be there to represent private ownership and a few military personnel falling victim but I suggest reducing the military rifle spawns by about half. Same with the machineguns.

Silenced Weapons- These simply aren't issued to field units and I can't see delta force and spetsnaz being sent to man roadblocks and such to contain the outbreak. Please remove them.

Submachineguns- Again, field units don't use these. They should be in very small amounts in the police station at most.

Now if the above changes were made by themselves, it would remove a fair chunk of the weapons spawns. We don't want that now do we? Here are my suggestions to take up the slack-

-.22lr rifle- these, next to shotguns, are possibly the most common caliber firearm found in civilian homes. Almost every one who learned to shoot, learned with one of these first. It should have longer range and more accuracy than the 9mm handguns but less stopping power. Still one-shot headshot kills though. Specifically I'd suggest a ruger 10/22 with a 10 or 30 round magazine.

-SKS- These are old semi-auto military rifles that are common on the civilian market.They fire the same round as the akm and their stripper clips could be used to reload AKM magazines since they fire the same rounds. They have 5-round magazines.

-Ruger Mini-14- Another popular semi-auto rifle on the civilian market that is also used by some police and military units. Fires same rounds as the M4 and uses 5 or 10 round magazines.

-M1 Garand- Old U.S. semi-automatic battle rifle. Father of the M-14 variants found in game currently. Found in every gun store I've ever visited. Big, Loud, and Powerful, it has an 8-round magazine.

-Scoped Enfield- I just plain love Enfields in real life and a low power scope could help you use these powerful rifles to their full potential. Not every enfield, mind you, you should only find them as often as some of the sniper rifles.

-More Shotguns- These are common in any country with private firearms ownership but I haven't found one in-game other than the winchester which is actually not really a shotgun. Please make them more common.

UPDATE (these are still weapon suggestions so I'll add them in here):

Magazines: Another related suggestion I have it to make the magazines into their own type of item instead just another word for ammo like they are now. Amunition doesn't just come out of the box in loaded magazines (some exceptions like the enfield, sks and garand, if they were implemented, where rounds sometimes come in the box in stripper clips). Everyone with military experience and many with out can remember long minutes spend loading magazines before a range or field exercise. If its possible to implement the player should have to find magazines and load them with ammo they find. Each mag would need to be loaded before you could use it and of course you would need to have at least one ready to use the gun as more than a paper weight. Some firearms require magazines and remain very powerful if you have the magazines to keep quickly reloading. The magazine itself would have to be reloaded before it could be loaded into the gun. Others can be loaded directly and operated without worrying about mags but would possibly hold fewer rounds or be slower to reload. I don't know how easily something like would be to implement, maybe it could use a similar system to the current ammo conversion system? Here's a good example of the depth this would add to the game- Say you are walking around and you find the .45ACP revolver and some rounds, Great! Later you find a 1911. But it only has one mag with it. Do you pick it up knowing that you won't have more than 8 shots if you can't find another mag? Or do you stick with the revolver knowing you don't need anything besides bullets to reload it over and over?

Slings: (from a reply to another thread) I don't have a problem with having to pull out the hatchet(axe) the way we do now. Its not in a quick draw holster or anything after all! What I would like to see would be to maybe do the same thing as "add to toolbelt" is with the hatchet but for the primary weapon too, just maybe change text to "sling weapon". Also if this were implemented there could be some weapons with and some without slings. This would add another layer of variety into weapon choices.

Melee weapon suggestions: SOOO glad to see melee implemented! Now the firearms spawns can be realistically reduced further. Especially if some flavor is added to the melee weapons. I want to suggest dividing them into two "sizes". Some would take up the primary weapon slot like now, some would be "smaller" and take up the secondary weapon slot and do less damage.

"smaller" weapons- A hatchet like now but make it take up the second slot and keep its abillity to chop 1 pile of firewood. Maybe a smaller model. Other one-hand weapons could be a wrench and a hammer that could have secondary abilities that allow you to work on cars or build stuff.

"larger" weapons could include a Axe that would basically be like the hatchet we have now. It would do more damage than the one-hand hatchet and maybe chop 2 piles of wood. The other larger wepon I'd suggest is a bat or hunk of pipe. It could do lots of damage but not have a second ability.

So that's my suggestion. I tried to keep in mind the type of weapons a person might find among abandoned towns. I know many places have more restrictive ownership laws than the United States but who knows what kind of laws they had in Chenarus before the outbreak!

Thanks for reading. And if someone can help me figure out how to put pictures in text I'll add some.

Edited by Dr. Fever
  • Like 1

reasonable suggestion I find,but priorities should be (realism) on gameplay aspects not (realism) in the specific models and details.

• Like 1

Generally I agree. My main point was to tone-down the abundance of powerful military weapons. The specific suggestions were only personal preference, I'm sure there are may types of weapons that would fit the bill here.

If baseball bat was implemented I would use it all the time. I have also wondered why I can get a M16 with a M203 in a fire station. Civilian weapons should spawn more often and military weapons should be harder to find. Nice job OP.

• Like 1

silencers are easy to get a hold of, over here they are completely legal and you dont need any kind of permit or license to buy one, though you need a license for the weapon you may intend to use it on

and im sure i speak for most people when i say we dont need or want more shotguns, ill take hatchet every day of the week over double barreled, if ammo for it was in 10 or 20round boxes(that all shotguns used) you loaded out of instead of the 2round "clips" or 8 round for benelli/remmington, id consider picking one up instead of the hatchet

Edited by Morotstomten

I was just saying that shotguns are very common in the real world and thats why there should be a bunch of them. Truth be told they do seem to spawn more often than they used to and now that its in game I do use the hatchet a lot too.