Sign in to follow this  
toadie83

Birth of a Bandit - true story. Dayz fan fiction. Warning its long.

This story is based on true events. No names were changed and some Bambi's were hurt in the making of this story:

“A man chooses, a slave obeys.” What of the man who chooses to obey, and become a slave?

Chernarus, 20/01/2012 - Approx 9pm Local time

4 Heavily armed men were spotted patrolling the south coast of Chernarus. They rode in 2 police cars and were seen to be hostile toward locals. They were witnessed engaging in numerous firefights, at one point they engaged a helicopter gunship and emerged victorious, this was clearly a well trained and heavily armored squad. A number of bodies lay in their wake, however, this is not the disturbing part of this report. What follows next comes from eye witness accounts and the account of 1 anonymous individual....

I had just awoken on the coast, I gotta admit I was feeling groggy, I had just been shot in the forest and had no idea how I had come to be here. I'd lost all my gear so I set off in search of food and shelter, I just hit the road when a police car with its lights off screeched up to me. 2 guys pointing rifles at me told me to get in. I did as I was told. What choice did I have? They were heavily armed and I was in no position to argue.

As we set off I saw another police car ahead of us and another individual was forced out into the middle of a major city. I was told he was like me. Whatever that ment. The 2 cars sped away from the city as I glanced behind I saw this man run toward the hospital.

Had they injured him? was this my fate too?

It seems not, I'm told i'm being initiated. The passenger of the car i'm in tells me I have a few tasks ahead, if I pass they'll arm me and let me join them. If I refuse or fail, they'll leave me at the side of the road. The menace in his voice tells me that's not an option I would like.

News comes in from the lead police car, the man they had let out in the city has been successful in his task, he calling for a pick up. Task? What task was he set? I don't have long to ponder before we're speeding back toward the city. We are are 1 click out when a loud high powered shot booms out from ahead. I'm informed it's a sniper, I have no idea what to expect but the car i'm in suddenly lurches forward, gathering more speed.

As we approach the pick up point of the "guy like me" I see the target of the sniper. he's lying in the road, surrounded by medical supplies, none of which will be any use to him now.

The lead car radios back that it's too dangerous to stop and if he isn't dead yet, the zombies will have him. We speed off, leaving the poor soul to his fate. I can only wonder what is my fate?

It's not long before I find out, I'm informed that i'll be dropped off in the next town. i'm to collect medical supplies from the hospital there and radio in for a pick up. If I complete this mission I will be given another 2 before becoming one of them. As i leave the car I can't help but consider running, but I know it would be futile, they would find me and honestly, i'm intrigued.

I set off in search of medical supplies, I can't help but think i'm collecting these for something more sinister than simply resupplying their camp. But I continue on.

It's not long before my bags are full and I call for pick up. Zombies are crowding my position and i'm sure I heard shots from the docks.

1 car screeches to my location, it's the same 2 guys from earlier except now, there appears to be another person in the back. He's unarmed and the look on his face tells me he didn't choose to be picked up.

I jump in, I try to protest to them taking another but I'm silenced with the butt of a rifle to the nose. I know my place. I put the loot in the rear of the car and await my fate.

We move on up the road, as we join up with the lead car I see they too appear to have aquired another passenger. he's banging on the windows, he looks terrified. I can't help but pity the guy, his situation a mirror of my own. Am I pitying myself?

After what seems like an age of driving we finally pull up alongside a warehouse, it has 2 double doors and it appears like we're in a dock? Where are we? the doors are opened and the 2 police cars pull in. They position the cars so the side wall is illuminated from their crossed headlights, creating a spotlight against the tired and flaking wall.

We're finally marched out of the cars and told to line up against the wall, the light is blinding. I can't see my captors but I can see the 2 others "like me". It's curious but their outfits resemble mine, the difference lies in their faces, they seem frightened. eyes darting left to right, unsure what to expect.

We are told to settle down, without the words. The 3 gun barrels aimed at us do all the talking. It's at this point that one of the big doors slides open. In walks a man, or is it more than that? he commands respect of those around him. My skin develops goose bumps in his presence. I am left in no doubt he is in charge. The fate of us all rest with this man.

He marches toward us as he speaks, his gruff voice demands that we are going to play a game. Questions and answers. He asks for a volunteer to go first. The other 2 seem to barely register the command, so I do it. I'm scared, but if they wanted to, they could end us anytime.

I'm asked how I heal a broken leg, can this be true? Is this the question.. I stutter my answer, I'm told to speak up. So with more bravado than I possess I shout "MORPHINE". ... I'm told to sit.

This went on, easy questions given to each of us in order. Each of us answering in turn. Until, one of us stumbled, he was asked and he could not provide the answer. He started to panic, stuttering, looking to each of us, his eyes begging asking what his mouth could not. I knew the answer, but equally I knew my fate should I venture it. Someone starts a countdown, 5.4.3...2.. with as much grace as a fleeing gazzelle my fellow captive springs to his feet, he dashes to the door. A shot rings out. It glances him, blood squirts out. he stumbles but he makes it to the door. he's quickly followed by 1 man. Silence follows. Suddenly 3 shots ring out followed by a groan and the drawn out death rattle of a desperate man.

So this is death.

The executioner walks back in, wiping blood from his face. His glare dares us to run. We know better.

Part 2 on it's way.....

• Like 13

"Fear is a virus here, spread by murder" - unknown author

Part 2:

We were left alone, the 2 of us. Just for a while. I strain my ears to try and pick up on the conversation taking place on the other side of the headlamps. it's pointless, their voices are muffled, like they are talking from behind a rag, or possibly a towel?

The glare from those burning lights is starting to give me a headache.

I try to focus on the groans of the undead coming from the nearby town, anything to distract from the sound just beyond the door. A sound of slurping and tearing, contented groans coming from the feeding beasts beyond. I grieved for a man I had never spoken to.

A clatter, something slides toward me. Thrown from beyond the light. As it comes to rest at my feet I see a glint of light reflecting back from a sharpened surface.. could it be? I reached down, the smooth well worn wooden handle felt comfortable as I wrapped my hands around it. I had been given a gift, an axe, common around these parts. The locals chopped alot of their own wood for their stoves. I imagined the winters were quite severe.

During my time wondering this hellish landscape I had become accustomed to wielding this weapon, it felt natural in my hands and I felt a surge of confidence come to me. Could I catch them unaware? would I be quick enough? I look up to see the dark circle of a gun barrel staring back into my eyes. It was the driver of my car from earlier, he's closer now. I can see his features, his eyes are unblinking, his short cropped hair is definitely military. However the camo clothing that covers his body is more of a give away. Who are these guys? My new found confidence wilting away within me. The gravity of my situation dawning on me and weighing hard on my soul.

Before I could ponder the reason for the axe any questions I had were answered. Another axe, identical to mine landed at the feet of my companion. Had it really only been 30 minutes since we were picked up? Was he a companion or is he a rival?

He grabbed at the axe, unfamiliar hands desperate to find purchase on the smooth handle. I saw his mind working the possibilities that lay ahead. I saw hope build within his shoulders. I saw the very same hope fade as he looked up and was faced with the same unblinking eye of an assault rifle as I.

I knew from the moment he looked up that our time here together was almost over.

It was apparent before the words were said what was to come next. But words were said anyway. "YOU will fight, only one will survive. If you run, you will be shot, if you refuse to fight, you will be shot. if you ask questions, you will be shot.... any questions?"

Fight

It happened so fast, I raised my axe just in time to parry a clumsy overhead swing from my opponent. I couldn't believe it, he had attacked me but yet I understood it. I retaliated, the axe comfortable in my grip, I swung it effortlessly at my opponent. his resistance was impressive at first but quickly faded in the face of my superior skills, honed from weeks of living in the wilderness. Each blow I rained down did more damage, my vision became blurred, at first by rage but then by the sheer carnage I was causing. Days, weeks, months of frustration channelled through my arms and into the axe.

Eventually it was over.

I was a victor, but I took no joy from what I had done, my sobs betrayed my true feelings.

The men around me quickly removed what was left of the man I had never spoken to. Lest the zombies be attracted. I was ordered to stand facing the wall. I had no fight left, I wearily obliged.

The sound of cocked weapons greeted my back. Was this really the conclusion of their great plan? I couldn't fight, I could barely muster a sob. I awaited my fate.

The first shot was quickly followed by 30 more. After the gun smoke had subsided and the echos had left the walls. I found myself slumped on the floor. Was this heaven? Had I finally reached a conclusion to this nightmare?

I heard cheering, was that the angels? I slowly came to my senses. I was still gripping the axe. I checked for holes, I had none about my body. I was intact? How could this be. I glanced up at the wall and there I saw the conclusion to my journey, a masterpiece created from carnage.

A perfect silhouette of my body, created by bullet impacts.

I had emerged from the ashes, I found my head wrapped in a towel. I now matched my captors.... no my friends.

End

Found footage should be available once terms have been negotiated with the local who found it.. I'll link to it then.

• Like 13

Well there's your first mistake, you got into the car. Especially as a fresh spawn, my only response would have been a "fuck you" and then I would wait to either be shot or to be left behind at the spawn. Great story though, really puts some perspective behind something increasingly common.

You sir have my beans. Great story, and an awesome writer. Please keep it up!