Sign in to follow this  
hogscraper

Make it harder to kill both zombies and players

Jesus christ, people who get owned by Snipers and think they should be removed are people that needs to be removed. Yeah sure, I hate snipers too but that doesn't make it legit that the devs should remove Snipers because I get owned by them.

My problem isn't with the weapons per se, its a two fold problem of

1. Sniper rifles are supposed to the rarest guns in the game.

2. Only once, out of all my deaths on public servers, did I die to a gun that was not a sniper and that was in a large battle in Electro between half the server.

If they are supposed to be rare, why is every single person that wants one, running around with one? Its because as soon as you pick one up from a heli crash site, there's still a possibility of them to drop forever after every server restart. For every person that kills a sniper, that gun is most likely going to stay in circulation until the number of people carrying them far exceeds the number that should be in the game. This leads to the current situation of people not really playing the game to survive but to get as many easy kills as possible. I've seen the populations of multiple private hives crash to almost nothing. Look at how many servers sit nearly empty. A lot of them are servers that have accelerated this with FOB's and higher spawn locations/rates. Eventually, the entire game comes down to:

Find a sniper rifle

Hide somewhere and use third person view to make sure your victim cannot possibly even see you while you wait for an easy kill.

I didn't come to my feelings about this from dying to a sniper, I came to it from using a sniper rifle. Doing what everyone else does and getting some easy kills from the hilltop north of Electro. After a couple kills as I'm thinking about how I'm able to play this way, I actually felt angry that the game had such a cheap mechanic. It took a hell of a lot of willpower to force myself not to keep doing just that to the exclusion of everything else the game has to offer.

People start harassing me about the 'realism' of not limiting weapons, but seem to gloss over the fact that there are more sniper weapons and rounds on any given server than in the entirety of any military installation out there. They are the best guns in the game so anyone that finds one will use it. And sorry to break it to the leet omg you're so awesome players, having a guy with NVG shooting his DMR and nailing a fresh kill on a beach breaks the entire 'try and survive' aspect of the game. You were given no visual or audio cues that you were about to die and therefore ZERO ability to avoid it. This is why I posted in another thread about liking the random, across the map spawn points.

I want bandits on the servers I play on. I just want them to have to work for their kills instead of easily picking off a hatchet wielding guy from 800 meters out just because its the easiest option the game made available. And I do get it. People have gotten used to these easy kills and will say and do anything to be able to keep getting them.

'Genuine realism' is that that very few of the best trained people on the planet can effectively shoot a sniper rifle at long ranges.

Total people in the US Army ~1,000,000

Snipers in the US Army ~1,000

Total people in the US Marines ~250,000

Snipers in the Marines ~300

That's not guns, that's people trained and qualified to shoot a sniper rifle at the ranges the guns in Dayz are capable of. The 'genuine realism' you speak of would be 1 out of 1,000 players being able to ever get the chance at picking one up and firing it accurately. The real problem is, with multiple servers spawning them, at some point in the game, you still will reach the end result of everyone who wants a sniper rifle having one unless you hard cap the total number of them by percentage of people playing.

Krisz2 also so wisely says, "I hate it when game companies assign how people should play the game I like dayz because it allows people to play how they want to play with genuine realism that is what it is"

That's what I feel like being forced to play a game where zero of my deaths have come from a firearm that was not a sniper rifle.

'Realism', genuine or not, is not that any average person who picks up a m107 has even so much as a chance in hell at hitting a human sized target even at 250 meters.

A decade ago I trained people at a local range in rifle accuracy for hunting and the average person with no training that came to me still couldn't hit a deer sized target, using an AR15, with any amount of consistency, even at 50 meters. If you've been hunting most of your life you could hit that target at 100-200 meters but not every bullet will hit it every time and personally 250-300 meters is about the max I will bother shooting. I can hit a deer from that far with a 30.06 but not every time in a lethal spot and I've been shooting guns since I was six years old. My rounds also have an estimated effective range of about 1,000 meters.

And most people can't run more than say, 1 or 2 kilometers before getting tired, but my character can run atleast 5 and all I have to do is hold W.

tl;dr

It's a video game.