Wasteland_Wanderer

[GUIDE] Configuration Tweaking

A note on Field of View.

An easy way to find a good fov for your monitor in ArmA2 is to first note what aspect ratio your resolution has. For me it's 5:4 (resolution 1280x1024).

ArmA2 automatically detects your aspect ratio and sets the fov accordingly. For me the default values were:

fovTop=0.75;

fovLeft=0.9375;

These are way too narrow for me. What I did was simply multiply both values so as to keep the same aspect ratio. You don't want to stretch the fov too far vertically or horizontally. In my case multiplying by 2 yielded these values which look OK to me:

fovTop=1.5;

fovLeft=1.875;

You can experiment to get a fov that looks good to you. Remember to multiply each value by the same amount or you could get weird stretching.

There is a big error in the OP post.

Arma is the only game where vsync must be set ON to improve frames.

Proof: arma veteran, been in many Clans, Teams, and i'm a modder too.

-mod=@DayZ -nosplash -cpuCount=6 -winxp -world=empty -maxmem=4096

I was just about to scold you for trying to address more ram to a 32-bit application that it can handle, but I googled around and some claim that ArmA2 does indeed support up to 4 gigs of ram. But it seems that ArmA2 rarely ever exceeds 1.5 even at maximum usage.

I have a quick question about the mouseSmoothing tweak in the config profile. I've looked through the file and I don't see any line for mouseSmoothing. Does that mean it's been disabled completely, and if not should I be adding a line for it, and where?

If I wanted a FOV of 90 with a resolution of 2560x1440, what should I put the values at?

Is it intentional for the screen to darken completely when looking above ground level?

I can see perfectly when looking at the ground (nice, bright green and daylight) but as soon as I look up it seems to have some awful sunshine effect that blinds me and I can only make out silhouettes and the land/horizon.

It's not my system not handling it, it's adequate, and I get 60 fps - i5 2400, 4gb ram, Radeon HD 6870 etc.

Just wondering if this 'blinding' effect is super realism or I have my setting all spazzed...

Is it intentional for the screen to darken completely when looking above ground level?

I can see perfectly when looking at the ground (nice' date=' bright green and daylight) but as soon as I look up it seems to have some awful sunshine effect that blinds me and I can only make out silhouettes and the land/horizon.

It's not my system not handling it, it's adequate, and I get 60 fps - i5 2400, 4gb ram, Radeon HD 6870 etc.

Just wondering if this 'blinding' effect is super realism or I have my setting all spazzed...

[/quote']

turn your Gamma up a little more, I know it makes the game look a bit worse but that was the only option for me.

Are you sure, mousesmoothing=1 is better than mousesmoothing=0?

Usually it's better to disable mousesmoothing. Is it the other way around for Arma? Anyone care to elaborate? :D

2.) Config file values

Open explorer and open this file in notepad (whatever)

C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\"your character name"\"your character name".ArmA2OAProfile

Now all my .ArmA2OAProfile files automatically open with notepad and don't save my settings in-game... How do I get them back to default?

EDIT: Nevermind, everything works fine I think, however my appearance and settings were reset after doing this...

Best tip I found was if you are running multi-core, just set affinity to less than all of your cores. Worked heaps better.