Sign in to follow this  
Mini Maracas

In game chat and silent kills?

In game chat

Basically, we need a reason to make people want to talk IN GAME, rather than on TeamSpeak, Skype, etc. This makes it much more authentic, and more realistic. Also, you would be able to sneak up on more players, learn their plans, and use this information against them! > :D

It would also mean you have to be more careful when talking plans with a friend, checking the area, or talking quietly.

A way we could make people want to talk in game more, could be talking in-game increases humanity slightly? Think, if you're in a zombie apocalypse, and you don't talk to anyone, and have no contact with other humans, you'll start to go insane. Talking to other players could raise humanity. To make this balanced/reduce exploitation, we could:

-Have a limit on how much humanity you gain per (minute, hour, day?) by talking? So people can't just hold down their talk button, not talk (Or play a sound through mic), and gain so much free humanity.

-Make it so another player has to be nearby in order to gain humanity? And if you talk while noone's there, it could lower it? Think - talking to other people is more sane/human than talking to yourself.

_ _ _ _ _

Silent kils

I want a way to take out an enemy silently. Not with my bare hands, that wouldn't be that realistic, unless you choke them or something, which I don't think I want.

What I think could work (If it's done right) is, taking out an enemy with, say, a knife, from behind. Maybe there could be an animation of you putting your arm around their neck, then with the other one, stabbing it from the front.

This would be good if you see a group of 2 or more bandits, and want to pick them off 1 by 1 if they're careless.*

To counter this, though:

-Animation takes 2-5 seconds, and if the enemy is quick-witted enough, he can call for help while he is being taken down?

-You actually have to get right behind them to do it, so there's the matter of getting close without being seen or heard.

-You need a knife for this.

So yeah, I think both these ideas could make the game much more authentic, you'd have to check your surroundings more, and would increase the levels of paranoia in players!

*Also, to add to this, I would like flies to appear after a while on dead bodies, not straight away (Sorry if they already do this, haven't really checked).

Sorry for the long post. :)

Kill animations are horrible, just bash them with an axe and call it a day.

• Like 1

In game chat

Basically, we need a reason to make people want to talk IN GAME, rather than on TeamSpeak, Skype, etc. This makes it much more authentic, and more realistic. Also, you would be able to sneak up on more players, learn their plans, and use this information against them! > :D

It would also mean you have to be more careful when talking plans with a friend, checking the area, or talking quietly.

A way we could make people want to talk in game more, could be talking in-game increases humanity slightly? Think, if you're in a zombie apocalypse, and you don't talk to anyone, and have no contact with other humans, you'll start to go insane. Talking to other players could raise humanity. To make this balanced/reduce exploitation, we could:

-Have a limit on how much humanity you gain per (minute, hour, day?) by talking? So people can't just hold down their talk button, not talk (Or play a sound through mic), and gain so much free humanity.

-Make it so another player has to be nearby in order to gain humanity? And if you talk while noone's there, it could lower it? Think - talking to other people is more sane/human than talking to yourself.

_ _ _ _ _

Silent kils

I want a way to take out an enemy silently. Not with my bare hands, that wouldn't be that realistic, unless you choke them or something, which I don't think I want.

What I think could work (If it's done right) is, taking out an enemy with, say, a knife, from behind. Maybe there could be an animation of you putting your arm around their neck, then with the other one, stabbing it from the front.

This would be good if you see a group of 2 or more bandits, and want to pick them off 1 by 1 if they're careless.*

To counter this, though:

-Animation takes 2-5 seconds, and if the enemy is quick-witted enough, he can call for help while he is being taken down?

-You actually have to get right behind them to do it, so there's the matter of getting close without being seen or heard.

-You need a knife for this.

So yeah, I think both these ideas could make the game much more authentic, you'd have to check your surroundings more, and would increase the levels of paranoia in players!

*Also, to add to this, I would like flies to appear after a while on dead bodies, not straight away (Sorry if they already do this, haven't really checked).

Sorry for the long post. :)

Regarding In-Game chat...

Add Walkie-Talkies or Radios to the game. Problem solved! :D

Regarding Silent Kills...

Silent Kills should result in an instant death every time.

If using a gun, you should either choke them with the barrel, or bash them with the butt.

Choking them would cause their voice communication to be altered, so if they said "Help! Someone is choking me!" it would come out "HEE... SOM-M... GEH ME!!!"

If you were to bash them, they would scream and junk, but their voice communication would become much quieter.

Using a knife, you should be able to get up behind and slit their throat, causing their voice communication to gargle and cough.

Using your hands, you should be able to suffocate them, knocking them unconscious. A non-lethal take down and does not lower humanity.

Your in-game chat idea is awesome. I don't like the fact people can use Teamspeak to co-ordinate. I don't know if you can call it insanity or loneliness. Whatever you want to go with, it should make your character laugh/giggle for insanity until it is fixed (like an infection) or have you cry if its loneliness. Talking helps this. This combats the people that do not talk. Also, have it so that you DO need someone there to talk to for you to fix your problem. And if you are talking with no-one there, it makes you even more ill than you currently are. It would come in handy but it also has a downside... It will force people to group together and some people like lone-wolfing it.

Your second idea maybe in it already. Im not sure but I did read somewhere that this feature was in ARMA III and the DayZ engine is like ARMA III's but its modified. But it is also useless to have in DayZ as people can use Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble to call for help. The only way to remedy this is to make DayZ crash whenever Teamspeak is open but rocket wouldn't do that and its easy to bypass if he did anyway

Teamspeak etc destroys the experience of the game so I favor this suggestion.

I have a more radical suggestion though: Make the game block all ports except those needed by the game.

I can not address enough how out of game chat takes away from the game experience.

When telling others about DayZ I have the in-game voice chat as one of the main arguments why the game is so great.

Teamspeak etc destroys the experience of the game so I favor this suggestion.

I have a more radical suggestion though: Make the game block all ports except those needed by the game.

I can not address enough how out of game chat takes away from the game experience.

When telling others about DayZ I have the in-game voice chat as one of the main arguments why the game is so great.

Would never happen. BI wouldn't be allowed to do such a thing. I use Teamspeak for EvE Online and I'm always on my corps comms even when playing DayZ

Would never happen. BI wouldn't be allowed to do such a thing. I use Teamspeak for EvE Online and I'm always on my corps comms even when playing DayZ

It would not be a problem if it was optional.So that server admins could turn it off.

Also, if it was in the game description, it would be legal.

PS. If you need to be on your EvE online comms even why playing dayZ you should consider taking a pause from that game ;)

It would not be a problem if it was optional.So that server admins could turn it off.

Also, if it was in the game description, it would be legal.

PS. If you need to be on your EvE online comms even why playing dayZ you should consider taking a pause from that game ;)

It would be illegal. Freedom of speech and all.

And I'm on comms just for general chit-chat. Except today where I took time out to watch a film and returned to find I had missed an epic kill :(

Reposting my idea from another thread:

Side chat in my humble opinion should be a function bound to a lootable/findable communication device or radio with texting capability that is about as rare and hard to find as a GPS. It should be displayed much like the compass or watch. You press a key to look at it, double tap it to lock it on your screen (yes it blocks some of your view) and type into it. If you don't wanna use it just never tap that key.

All voice should be in proximity or on separate radio channels with specific frequencies.

The radio would be use to talk to people I'm not sure I want in my Skype chat.

Also "Side Chat" is an Arma 2 term. I would call it something like "ChernarusNet" or "LingorNet" or what have you.

Reposting my idea from another thread:

Side chat in my humble opinion should be a function bound to a lootable/findable communication device or radio with texting capability that is about as rare and hard to find as a GPS. It should be displayed much like the compass or watch. You press a key to look at it, double tap it to lock it on your screen (yes it blocks some of your view) and type into it. If you don't wanna use it just never tap that key.

All voice should be in proximity or on separate radio channels with specific frequencies.

The radio would be use to talk to people I'm not sure I want in my Skype chat.

Also "Side Chat" is an Arma 2 term. I would call it something like "ChernarusNet" or "LingorNet" or what have you.

He is not talking about side chat. He is talking about Direct Communication. You can't limit that to a radio as sound would still be heard

Edited by Be4st

Your in-game chat idea is awesome. I don't like the fact people can use Teamspeak to co-ordinate. I don't know if you can call it insanity or loneliness. Whatever you want to go with, it should make your character laugh/giggle for insanity until it is fixed (like an infection) or have you cry if its loneliness. Talking helps this. This combats the people that do not talk. Also, have it so that you DO need someone there to talk to for you to fix your problem. And if you are talking with no-one there, it makes you even more ill than you currently are. It would come in handy but it also has a downside... It will force people to group together and some people like lone-wolfing it.

Your second idea maybe in it already. Im not sure but I did read somewhere that this feature was in ARMA III and the DayZ engine is like ARMA III's but its modified. But it is also useless to have in DayZ as people can use Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble to call for help. The only way to remedy this is to make DayZ crash whenever Teamspeak is open but rocket wouldn't do that and its easy to bypass if he did anyway

maybe if you go insane it gives you a different skin like downtrodden and dirty which tells people you're a lone wolf and not to trust you but not as bad as a bandit

Fantastic Idea, Social contact improves humanity. This could even help bandits.

Help bandits to mask the the fact that they go on sensless PvP rampages?

Edited by GOD™