Filterfreaker

MERGED: changes to inventory system

That's not necessarily true. ACE managed to implement a volume & weight based ruck system before Operation Arrowhead introduced its own rucks, and currently the ACE ruck system works smoother and looks cleaner than the default OpArrowhead gear menu. It's a shame rocket doesn't want to integrate any other existing mods, but it doesn't have to be a copy-paste job. In Day Z I'm carting around more than I'd ever care to in ACE because there's no real penalty to carrying around 2 rifles, ammo for both, food, water, sidearm & ammo, etc. The only limitation is the number of arbitrary slots I've got. ACE gives you a "back" slot for a backpack/launcher/primary weapon, as well as your standard primary & launcher slots. The backpacks have a maximum volume, cannot hold primaries, and their contents display is separate from the rest of your inventory list. It's easy to move stuff around, and while you can potentially carry more stuff you're likely to carry less with ACE's stamina system.

So it's a shame that rocket doesn't want integration. Maybe he'll go with inspiration instead.

If we implemented this system I would be all for it; however, I would then like to see the introduction of non-compatible backpack skins such as the USMC, NATO whatnot and seeing more skins introduced to create diversity in the game. Really, if we can manage to pull of a STALKER like backpack system, we won't need backpacks anymore with proper inventory management. +1

I just want the inventory to be changed period. It's awful how it is right now.

I honestly think that "blame Bohemia" is a total cop-out, you could apply that to ANYTHING in the mod.

If you've never had a problem with the inventory then I have an exercise for you to do:

1) place a primary weapon + ammo in your backpack and fill the pack + your inventory (have a different amount of ammo to your equipped primary)

2) switch main weapons and switch back without dropping anything (remember you never know when a dropped item is going to just vanish) and without using a gear pile/corpse

3) enjoy your missing magazines which the game just destroyed

A working (and non-retarded) inventory system is a vital part of any indie game (i know it's a mod but it might as well be a fresh startup when it comes to publicity/impressions) and the inherited ARMA 2 inventory is probably the worst i've seen in 20 years of gaming, it's more important than the addition of ANY new content.

Even just adding a bag size check before the game tries to move 10 items into 8 empty slots would go a LONG way.

Remember.... this is a MODIFICATION, they're only restricted by what they can be bothered to do, otherwise we might as well just say "Bohemia doesn't have working zombies or in game objectives so that's not our job", surely you can see how ridiculous a statement like that is? The entire point of a mod is to MODIFY things that you don't like.

Remember.... this is a MODIFICATION, they're only restricted by what they can be bothered to do, otherwise we might as well just say "Bohemia doesn't have working zombies or in game objectives so that's not our job", surely you can see how ridiculous a statement like that is? The entire point of a mod is to MODIFY things that you don't like.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hard-coded

Arma 2 has been out since 2009, and uses the same code for its inventory system as arma 1 (2006) and operation flashpoint (2001?) used. All ArmA games have been moddable. Don't you think if it were possible for a modder to fix the inventory, it would have been done by now? Do you think military sim players have a hard on for unintuitive interfaces? It hasn't been changed because this stuff is hard coded into the game. It is not a cop out in the slightest to say "complain to bohemia." In fact, since DayZ is driving sales and they're actually patching things that affect DayZ, now would be the perfect time to do so.

If you want a cop out response though: learn coding and make the changes yourself, if you believe it's such a simple task. You'll then be directly helping the mod.

What I meant was modding the inventory to get rid of the disappearing items and other bugs is not possible. Also modifying the slot system is not possible (for example from one dimensional to two dimensional).

Adding features like weight is possible and has been done like you mentioned. Also, ACE uses a different system on their backpacks than regular ArmA 2 which allows more customization on their part.

Still, changing how the inventory acts when you move stuff around is not possible, which was the concern in the first post.

A replacement inventory system could in theory be implemented but as there is no way to access references to individual item instances (magazines) it couldn't work properly anyway.

+1 This

While it would be nice if somehow a magical solution was found that allowed this to be fixed sooner rather than later but the fact is, perfect or not, the inventory system works.

Don't hold your breath. We're likely waiting for Arma III to see any sort of significant fix for this.

Here is an idea that would work:

Each backpack has a ridiculous amount of slots (like 30 or more, it doesn't matter).

Each item has a specific weight/units (realistic weight or a symbolic unit, like 1 for every item excepted guns ar 4 to 10).

Each backpack is rated for a specific weight/units, if the content of the pack goes over the limit, the player cannot move.

This skirt around the item gobbling issues and allow players to use their backpack content to rearrange their inventory.

Using realistic weight can be interesting, but the issue is that if we start counting gear in kilograms and grams it might become a bit hairy, and it only factor pure weight. While an arbitrary unit is a bit easier on the math side for the user and can factor an average of weight and volume, it's pretty much like the current slot system, without slots.

This idea assume that rocket can set the number of slots used y a weapon.

This:

Respawns of zombies adjusted

New equipment interaction system from gear menu

Maybe more. Won't be patched now (its peak time' date=' 5.5k concurrent), once it dips down.

[/quote']

Very excited to see what this will entail.

The mod has completely imploded any expectations about how one would expect popularity in something like this to expand, a project done in someones free time in a very short period of time. Thank you Einherjar for bringing this to our attention:

Here's an opportunity:

http://kotaku.com/5910279/pc-zombie-darling-causes-sale-explosion-arma-devs-happy-to-help

I think the community should ask the Arma 2 devs to move the inventory code out of engine and make it available for modders. [...]

Maybe this is related to the aforementioned coming update? Exciting that the people at Bohemia not only took the time to allow for mods in their game' date=' but also are opening their minds up to helping those that promote their game with a module like this one.

Each backpack is rated for a specific weight/units, if the content of the pack goes over the limit, the player cannot move.

Even though I agree that weight probably should be taken into consideration somehow, it would need to be applied carefully, and I'm skeptical towards that sort of simplistic consequence, as seen in TES:Oblivion. This would surely just add more frustration to an already confusing, and at times unmanagable system. If anything, the current system should need rehauling (read: Hardcored no more) before something like this could even be applied by any third party modding capabilities whatsoever.

On a second note: With a believable fatigue, food and energy system in place (also further down the line), something towards the idea that your total encumbrance affects endurance on foot, should undoubtedly be an aspect, but I stress the danger of blatantly putting terms into the simplistic nature of a sudden zero movement kind of thing.

The thing about having two primary and a handgun is this. It would be realistic to have one primary in hand and one slung over shoulder. As long as it is not a light machine gun, but just a rifle, you can have a rocket launcher, rifle and handgun Arma 2. So why is it so far fetched to have two rifles? It is not unrealistic to have them in my opinion.