Sign in to follow this  
(-o-) Dave

Spawn suggestions.

A word to the devs, you guys are so damn good, I'm in love with this mod and just how hard it is, the PVP, the huge,open environment. I was into Arma 2 for a while, but this mod pretty much touches every point in the inner horror nerd in me and has dragged me back. I could even say it's what a lot of people have always wanted to play in a zombie game, or very close to.

I was thinking at work about how I stayed up far too late, running in the dark to attempt to meet up with the group of 3 friends I was teamed up with. I had taken a .45 to the back of the skull when my animation suddenly bugged from knocked down to full up standing, right in the place of a zombie head!

I began my trek back to my friends, noting it would take a pretty good sum of time to get there, and ended up logging out for the night without getting to link back up. I thought it would be a nice idea for the mod to allow a player to choose a region to spawn in, separating the map into 4 or even 6 slices of even spawn area.

Maybe this can be controlled by a keeping track of how long a player has played overall, stored in character data. Newer players would be restricted to the bottom two or three regions for half a day or a day to get some time to learn the game's basics. They could, of course, keep running north into the upper sections, but would be only able to respawn in the lower.

What impact will this have?

This will allow players to link up more easily into factions or groups if they have the choice to spawn in a region. Also, it lets new players know that the north is a harder, tougher place to survive. Bandits will be able to form factions just as every one else, I suspect the northern areas would become even more dangerous up near the airfields.

While its nice to jog through 10KM of dark, scary as hell forests and towns, I had much more fun playing while I was in a group, and this might be a nice idea to try out, it might be a change that won't have a bad impact.

Is it possible to do something like this?

Great idea. It's probably already been suggested, but i would love to be able to spawn near friends or even be able to chose a spawn location. As of now, it takes to much time to get together and even if you do, you might be shot multiple times trying to locate your friends.

That's part of the game.

Not always being able to join up or find your friends is very realistic. It forces you into an even deeper level of survival. More often than not, if I'm trying to meet up with friends I end up grouping up with total strangers long before my friends and I can regroup. Keeps the player dynamics alive and uncertain. This game is, above all else, about YOUR personal survival.

Is it only me that loves to hate the random spawning you at the furthers point from where you died want to be? With spawning / meeting up being in greater control you would cheapen death considerably. I am already wondering if the "waiting for server" roulette upon death getting fixed will detract some what from the game play. Equipment loss is only as harsh as the difficulty of replacing it, friends and control of location make this a lot easier.

How does this cheapen death? Spawning is still random, but within regions of the map. You still get your gear lost, and you are still going to need to run a good distance, but not run for an hour or more trying to meet up. Right now, the game takes a considerable time to start for some.

And it is about MY survival, I believe I have a far better chance to survive with a tight group of 3-4 other people I know, not a random player I don't trust that might wind up winging me in a firefight or outright murdering me.

I cant find anything bad with the current system. My Group has his base set up far in the north and if I die I have the time and chance to visit the coastal citys which provide the fastest and easyest way to gear up and in addition I can carry some badly needed supplys like blood packs to my group. All in all this needs never more then an hour and is fun too.

and you are still going to need to run a good distance' date=' but not run for an hour or more trying to meet up.

[/quote']

You can make it across the map diagonally in considerably less time than an hour and I doubt you will ever be that unlucky with a respawn or destination.

Any quicker then recovering gear becomes trivial this will kill a lot of the game feel, of course this may change if the wilderness becomes a little more difficult. However keeping the world big should definitely be a priority.