esaciar

Derision & Scorn - Can We Make A Fresh Start?

Appeal to admin/mods and have a more visible policy of conduct?

That would be my suggestion, yeah.

The Escapist has a set in stone law about low content posts, and a fairly obvious rule against attempted derailing. Those two alone would bring the quality of posts way up.

So proposed new rules: Stay on target, and only post when you can contribute.

If I want to kill you' date=' I'm going to kill you.

[/quote']

That's fine, and a key part of the game, whats your point?

No game mechanic will ever change that.

I nor anyone here would want to change that' date=' again your point?

This patch has made it easier. Half the people don't have weapons, which makes it even funnier to see.

Okay? Point? I think you might be in the wrong place. You seem confused.

Yet to be determined on the griefing front. Like I said' date=' I have my view on it, and it seems to be supported by what I've seen people talking about in game, but I'm going to go check it out myself. I was pretty good at avoiding zombies before, I just kept dying from bandits. And only ONCE by a makarov bandit.

[/quote']

Mind elaborating? I tend to be cynical about people, never hurts to have more info on a topic, usually.

Exactly what would you want elaboration on? My view, or my interactions with bandits?

As for the other guy, I believe his point was that this patch made it easier to kill random people. Not that he was boasting about his abilities.

Yet to be determined on the griefing front. Like I said' date=' I have my view on it, and it seems to be supported by what I've seen people talking about in game, but I'm going to go check it out myself. I was pretty good at avoiding zombies before, I just kept dying from bandits. And only ONCE by a makarov bandit.

[/quote']

Mind elaborating? I tend to be cynical about people, never hurts to have more info on a topic, usually.

Exactly what would you want elaboration on? My view, or my interactions with bandits?

As for the other guy, I believe his point was that this patch made it easier to kill random people. Not that he was boasting about his abilities.

The point is that his thread has nothing to do with PvP, but the DayZ community. Enough derailing please.

[Edit]

The point is that his thread has nothing to do with PvP' date=' but the DayZ community. Enough derailing please.

[/quote']

Right, off topic.[/Edit]

Exactly what would you want elaboration on? My view' date=' or my interactions with bandits?

[/quote']

Both would be enlightening, your view was what I was interested in though. Continue in PMs or find/create topic?

As for the other guy' date=' I believe his point was that this patch made it easier to kill random people. Not that he was boasting about his abilities.

[/quote']

yeah, but that's pretty easy to figure out. Not sure why it needed to be brought up in this thread though.

[Edit] Back on topic:

Appeal to admin/mods and have a more visible policy of conduct?

That would be my suggestion' date=' yeah.

The Escapist has a set in stone law about low content posts, and a fairly obvious rule against attempted derailing. Those two alone would bring the quality of posts way up.

So proposed new rules: Stay on target, and only post when you can contribute.

[/quote']

Sounds good to me, though I could obviously work on my topic accuracy...

[/Edit]

"Both would be enlightening, your view was what I was interested in though. Continue in PMs or find/create topic?"

Well, I vote start a new topic. As this is addressing community behavior, I'll be there as soon as it's made. :0

More on topic: I would say that just not being aggressive / etc would help, but I have yet to see a constructive post be met with anything other than derision.

"More on topic: I would say that just not being aggressive / etc would help, but I have yet to see a constructive post be met with anything other than derision."

Agreed. Sometimes, if you are too assertive it comes off as sarcastic. I often read my post again to see if anything sounds defensive.

I thought of this while discussing this topic with a friend of mine, a new forum specifically designed for Feedback reports - Set up a form/template in a sticky that players can use to create an easily read feedback thread and police the forum heavily - As in any posts that deal with anything not related to the topic of the thread is deleted entirely.

General Discussion will always be the place to go for new ideas and features, but a dedicated forum where we can leave rational feedback, with a strictly enforced set of rules seems like it would be a solid place to go for the devs to see what the response is to any given feature.

Could also be a good place for stickied versions of Rockets "in 20 words or less" threads.

Any opinions on this idea? If we can get one solid forum, maybe we can from there build out and in time improve the other forums as well.

It's easy to say that we should all get along' date=' but in reality it's not going to happen. The community will continue to go in a downward spiral as issues arise, and different player's from different backgrounds fight with each other. I honestly see either the forum turning into the equivalent of the Minecraft forums (Seriously, don't ever go there.), or just being shitty in general. But then again, I'm not very optimistic in most situations so take what I say with a grain of salt.

[/quote']

I couldn't help but think of Minecraft as well. Some people hate Change, even if changes to a game don't even affect how they play. Minecraft is the perfect example of this with some whining about this or that(Potions, The End, etc) despite the fact one could never do these things and still play the game the same way they always have.

It's a fact of Life, it seems. :s

Can we make a fresh start? No. Fanboys kept telling everybody else to go fuck themselves for weeks now. So we did. Kthxbye. I only continue to lurk here for the delicious tears. Also, thinking that these forum debates have any impact upon the development of this game is laughable. The only influence any of us have is when we vote with our wallets and our feet. In that sense, the fanboys have always had it right: if you don't like the game, stop fucking playing it. That's the only message that will ever be heard (and even then don't hold your breath expecting rocket to care).

If I want to kill you' date=' I'm going to kill you.

No game mechanic will ever change that.

[/quote']

Also, not sure how this got in here since it's completely OT. But, since ppl are discussing it, let me just be clear. Yes, there most definitely are game mechanics that will change that. You lot are going to spend weeks and months pussyfooting around with this or that mechanic thinking it's going to somehow fundamentally re-adjust the PvP vs PvE relationship of the game, when the answer is very simple. If you want less PK'ing, then deincentivize murder through punitive means. It's strange how a concept so obvious that even our berry-picking, cave-dwelling ancestors had no trouble understanding escapes the mind of this generation's most brilliant game designer.

That's the only message that will ever be heard (and even then don't hold your breath expecting rocket to care).

I would say that this is untrue, and a good example of why is the hotfix topic.

You want harmony on the forums, you're going to either have to make the phrases "go back to COD" and "This isn't the game for you" blocked or mandatory. Either decision is going to cut a section of your audience out. We have an ever growing crop of typical nice & easy gamers clashing with the pretentious jaded 'hardcore' gamers that have been here for months. Both have just as much right to be here as the other, both are right and wrong, but the truth is, neither matters that much, Rocket does what Rocket wants. So yah, maybe when you wish for harmony remember this: The most peaceful place on the planet is a graveyard.

Harmony is unrealistic at this point(and probably any point), people are going to disagree, people are going to dislike each other, nothing will change that, to think otherwise is insane. Harmony doesn't exist, at least not on a scale of 250,000~ people interacting with each other, that's what civility is for, it's worked for most of humanity up to this point right?

But just because we don't all like each other, just because we don't agree on everything, doesn't mean we have to degrade into flaming each other on a regular basis until one or the other decides it's not worth the trouble anymore and leaves or stops posting, does forcing people(that actually try to have civil, constructive useful conversations) out of a discussion or forum really help anything?

That's what we are discussing here right? Civil interaction Vs the seemingly more popular uncivil interaction adopted by most of the internet 'communities' and how to deal with it here. I know, blasphemy right?

Again rainbows and sunshine aren't what we are looking for, just some common courtesy and civility. Just because you don't agree with something someone says doesn't mean you have to attack them relentlessly.

"That's stupid! what a moron." doesn't help anyone, next time you(anyone that posts useless comments) have the urge to post anything like that take a moment to think about why "it's stupid" and post your reasoning instead, might lead somewhere interesting, if you can't do that don't post, if it really is a "stupid idea" then it wont make it past being a concept anyway. Just a thought.

Harmony is unrealistic at this point (and probably any point), people are going to disagree, people are going to dislike each other, nothing will change that, to think otherwise is insane. Harmony doesn't exist, at least not on a scale of up to 250,000+/- people interacting with each other, that's what civility is for, it's worked for most of humanity up to this point right?

Just because we don't all like each other, just because we don't all agree on everything, doesn't mean we have to degrade into flaming each other on a regular basis until one or the other decides it's not worth the trouble anymore and leaves or stops posting, does forcing people (that actually try to have civil, constructive and useful conversations) out of a discussion or forum really help anything?

That's what we are discussing here right? Civil interaction Vs the seemingly more popular uncivil interaction adopted by most of the internet 'communities' and how to deal with it here. I know, blasphemy right?

Again rainbows and sunshine aren't what we(/I) are(/am) looking for, just some common courtesy and civility. Just because you don't agree with something someone says doesn't mean you have to attack them relentlessly.

"That's stupid! what a moron." doesn't help anyone, next time you (no one in particular) have the urge to post anything like that take a moment to think about why "it's stupid" and post your reasoning instead, it might lead to a good idea.

If you (no one in particular) can't do that don't post, if it really is a "stupid idea" then it wont make it past being a concept anyway. Just a thought.

"Also, thinking that these forum debates have any impact upon the development of this game is laughable."

While the rest of your post is pretty inflammatory, I will address this statement. I believe this is untrue. Before patch 1.7.1, I through my guns down to see if it was possible to live and I did. I came to the forums and at least 3 other people did the same, came back, and reported it as being more exciting.

Yelling how X isn't going to work because your view is "right" doesn't convince people. Doing it and telling them the results does. This isn't merely a debate, you can go and do things to prove it.

In addition, you can logically provide reasons of why you believe your opinion. Then others can come and objectively debate the idea without name calling.

Good post mate.

Certainly agree that mods are the driving force behind new IPs.

Are we truly the burgeoning community that this fantastic test mod deserves? Regardless of where we all came from' date=' we are all here because we wish to be and we should be in this together. We owe it to Rocket, to BI, to the game we all love and to ourselves to get these problems ironed out. But we can only do that by working together and sharing dialogue coherently, cohesively and sensibly.

I am most certainly in that distinct camp others would call "fanboys" and I freely admit that - I make no apologies for it. I think that these guys have done a truly fantastic job. The sheer work, slog and effort they have endured to bring us something this impressive, even in the earliest stages, is nothing short of a magnificent achievement.

We are all guilty of being dismissive of one another, in one way or another. But some of our comments, from both sides, are nothing short of childish squabbling and rather barbed insinuations about the content on one another's character.

On one side, we 'fanboys' should not be under the illusion that we, in any way, have any 'right of ownership' to this mod. We can be proud of the fact that we were there at the beginning; that we have watched this mod grow and have been - in some form - integral to the inception of the concept in it's evolving form.

On the other side, we have those who would refer to themselves as casual gamers. Their experience may have been 'Left 4 Dead' or 'CoD' or 'Battlefield' and whilst I am in no way suggesting that is their ONLY gaming experience, there will exist posters on this forum, new to this mod, who possess that history. This is a mod far removed from those concepts. This is a game that has a right to preserve the integrity it has thus far developed and not be swayed by an industry that has long been stagnant.

Mods, as far as I am concerned, are the spearhead of ingenuity in gaming - communities developing games together without the red-tape or the outside interests getting in the way.

I have been guilty of wanting to keep this from 'outsiders' to stop them from 'diluting' the core concepts that I have enjoyed since this mod came to my attention. This is a game I have been waiting for during many years now and, ridiculously, I seem to think I can stop anyone from taking that away from me.

The reality is that I can't. This game will evolve; it will develop according to a diverse community that has every right to find a collective identity.

But we need some dialogue. We need to afford one another the respect to preserve this as a 'discussion forum' as there is little discussion here lately. We deride one another and heap scorn upon tentatively suggested ideas as though we had witnessed an indignant crime.

We are participating in an Alpha Test. A bloody good Alpha Test at that. There will be suggestions...some will be odd, some creative, some naturally intuitive, some that upset one side or another and some that are posted purely to provoke.

We will find bugs, we will have glitches, we will disagree about hue, contrast and the ambient sounds of a forest. We will find things difficult, we might even question the logic of a decision the developers make. But that is part of the process. We feedback, we share, we DISCUSS. We have a clear set of issues and suggestions and the devs take that on board, feed back and continue doing what they do best.

What we currently have is unhealthy, uncompromising and devoid of any intellectual value. It is failing to achieve what was intended.

Let's enjoy it, revel in it and feel a part of something that has so much exciting potential. It's not finished - in reality, it's not even close. So shape the destiny of this mod by establishing a cordial, open and reciprocal dialogue.

Don't make threads that descend into vitriolic derision - especially not as regards to the developers who are trying their bloody damn hardest to please 250,000 people with conflicting opinions on where THEIR game should go.

This is a game that is in the very early stages yet is still remarkable in conception and delivery. The potential for community input is huge and I, personally, am thoroughly excited to be a part of this even in the tenuously associative manner of a player...you should be too.

It obviously makes people passionate...hell, that's the reaction Rocket and his team want to see, I'm sure. But some of the sheer venom I have seen here, about a mod which is FREE and not yet out of an infancy, is simply ridiculous - FROM BOTH SIDES.

I don't care if you think I'm being a pompous git or an interfering, condescending busybody who uses the internet as a mouthpiece because he feels useless in the real world. Theorise that, if it makes you feel better. Suggest it, should the urge take you.

It's bollocks. But knock yourself out.

All I want is to be part of a community that has a vision and a commitment to a fantastic mod. I'm sure you all do too.

I love cock.

Let the trolling begin...

[/quote']

Oh how this made me lol @ you. It reminds me of a group of old blokes I overheard putting the world to rights at the pub the other day.

It would be nice if everyone could get along but due to the unforgiving nature of the game is just too much for some nubs to handle so they end up venting shit stories on here. About how they were killed unfairly or how good they are. This in turn attracts Trolls who feast on their delicious tears.

In the end the only posts worth looking at are the ones posted by the devs anyway. I mean I've never seen a forum so full of SHIT.

I'd hate to start with the words "I think myself to be", but in this case, I'm not really praising or insulting myself, but rather trying to get across a point. I hope that I'm generally a well mannered, civilized individual, both on forums and off. Perhaps my manners have been tempered slightly from the large number of other forums that I've been a member of, but I hope I come across as someone interested in holding a more thoughtful discussion.

Personally, I can't really take either side in the argument of die-hard DayZ followers vs. the so-called 'casual gamer'. I've played a lot of games in my time, from RPGs to Shooters, Space-sims to Combat Sims. I still don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, mostly because I don't really have the time to game for more than maybe an hour or so every day. I'm probably not that much older than many of the individuals who decide that placing a little thought in their words isn't necessary, and provide us with the standard of what we call flamers, or trolls. Some of the posts I have read on this forum are just downright insulting in the most hurtful ways.

If anything, I always try to make a mental image of the person I'm posting to. If I don't agree with that person, and as always, want to try to present that disagreement in a well spoken way, then I try to picture them as some sort of great big yorkshireman with a huge bushy beard, muscles that could put a tree to shame, and waving an axe or something in my face. Voila, an instant interest in keeping them calm and rational

-Eternally Cynical, if Sardonically Friendly

-Raven

Actually I just would like to see the Banhammer swining who just troll around here!

Currently it's just spamming, trolling and abusing around, which cuts any interest to give feedback or suggestions!

Said a guy who plays the Arma Series since the original OfP!

Are we truly the burgeoning community that this fantastic test mod deserves? Regardless of where we all came from' date=' we are all here because we wish to be and we should be in this together. We owe it to Rocket, to BI, to the game we all love and to ourselves to get these problems ironed out. But we can only do that by working together and sharing dialogue coherently, cohesively and sensibly.

I am most certainly in that distinct camp others would call "fanboys" and I freely admit that - I make no apologies for it. I think that these guys have done a truly fantastic job. The sheer work, slog and effort they have endured to bring us something this impressive, even in the earliest stages, is nothing short of a magnificent achievement.

We are all guilty of being dismissive of one another, in one way or another. But some of our comments, from both sides, are nothing short of childish squabbling and rather barbed insinuations about the content on one another's character.

On one side, we 'fanboys' should not be under the illusion that we, in any way, have any 'right of ownership' to this mod. We can be proud of the fact that we were there at the beginning; that we have watched this mod grow and have been - in some form - integral to the inception of the concept in it's evolving form.

On the other side, we have those who would refer to themselves as casual gamers. Their experience may have been 'Left 4 Dead' or 'CoD' or 'Battlefield' and whilst I am in no way suggesting that is their ONLY gaming experience, there will exist posters on this forum, new to this mod, who possess that history. This is a mod far removed from those concepts. This is a game that has a right to preserve the integrity it has thus far developed and not be swayed by an industry that has long been stagnant.

Mods, as far as I am concerned, are the spearhead of ingenuity in gaming - communities developing games together without the red-tape or the outside interests getting in the way.

I have been guilty of wanting to keep this from 'outsiders' to stop them from 'diluting' the core concepts that I have enjoyed since this mod came to my attention. This is a game I have been waiting for during many years now and, ridiculously, I seem to think I can stop anyone from taking that away from me.

The reality is that I can't. This game will evolve; it will develop according to a diverse community that has every right to find a collective identity.

But we need some dialogue. We need to afford one another the respect to preserve this as a 'discussion forum' as there is little discussion here lately. We deride one another and heap scorn upon tentatively suggested ideas as though we had witnessed an indignant crime.

We are participating in an Alpha Test. A bloody good Alpha Test at that. There will be suggestions...some will be odd, some creative, some naturally intuitive, some that upset one side or another and some that are posted purely to provoke.

We will find bugs, we will have glitches, we will disagree about hue, contrast and the ambient sounds of a forest. We will find things difficult, we might even question the logic of a decision the developers make. But that is part of the process. We feedback, we share, we DISCUSS. We have a clear set of issues and suggestions and the devs take that on board, feed back and continue doing what they do best.

What we currently have is unhealthy, uncompromising and devoid of any intellectual value. It is failing to achieve what was intended.

Let's enjoy it, revel in it and feel a part of something that has so much exciting potential. It's not finished - in reality, it's not even close. So shape the destiny of this mod by establishing a cordial, open and reciprocal dialogue.

Don't make threads that descend into vitriolic derision - especially not as regards to the developers who are trying their bloody damn hardest to please 250,000 people with conflicting opinions on where THEIR game should go.

This is a game that is in the very early stages yet is still remarkable in conception and delivery. The potential for community input is huge and I, personally, am thoroughly excited to be a part of this even in the tenuously associative manner of a player...you should be too.

It obviously makes people passionate...hell, that's the reaction Rocket and his team want to see, I'm sure. But some of the sheer venom I have seen here, about a mod which is FREE and not yet out of an infancy, is simply ridiculous - FROM BOTH SIDES.

I don't care if you think I'm being a pompous git or an interfering, condescending busybody who uses the internet as a mouthpiece because he feels useless in the real world. Theorise that, if it makes you feel better. Suggest it, should the urge take you.

It's bollocks. But knock yourself out.

All I want is to be part of a community that has a vision and a commitment to a fantastic mod. I'm sure you all do too.

I love cock.

[/quote']

Oh how this made me lol @ you. It reminds me of a group of old blokes I overheard putting the world to rights at the pub the other day.

It would be nice if everyone could get along but due to the unforgiving nature of the game is just too much for some nubs to handle so they end up venting shit stories on here. About how they were killed unfairly or how good they are. This in turn attracts Trolls who feast on their delicious tears.

In the end the only posts worth looking at are the ones posted by the devs anyway. I mean I've never seen a forum so full of SHIT.

I'm not sure why you chose to deface my post you quoted with the words "I love cock" but I think you have just proven my point for me.

You say I remind you of an old bloke putting the world to rights?

That's because I'm mature and know the difference between wrong and right. Obviously, as you have proven, you are childish and ultimately unable to conduct yourself with any semblance of control or social grace.

Point proven. Thanks.

I am most certainly in that distinct camp others would call "fanboys" and I freely admit that - I make no apologies for it.

optimus-fanboy.jpg

I only dress as baseball cap clad survivors, not Optimus Prime!

I'm geek chic, man!