Sign in to follow this  
de4dcert

[Idea] Whole Country Maps!

As the new standalone is going to follow the same sort of server side architecture as some mass RPG's which in my view is a good thing. Then is it not then possible to have a zombie infested maps the size of the UK? replica models and add 1000 players to this domain?

Could DayZ work up to this epic scale of simulation? OMG future thinking, may have already been talked about, but imagine....

Someone should move this to the suggestions. I think this would take to much time for a pointless result, it will never be properly replicated and there is a low chance of people meeting on such a big scale, the lag on most computers for 1000 players would be to much as well.

That's a sweet idea, but I think we're not there yet, maybe it could be possible by 2014 or something, but not yet

There are roughly 62 million people living in the UK - 1,000 people would never meet each other, plus as mentioned, the lag would be horrible among other things.

lol good luck having a few frustrating years making a map of a whole country.

• Like 1

Planetside 2 manages to have about 2,000 players while on a huge sized map. of course, it's not the size of the UK, and there are still a good amount of issues and networking problems. This doesn't remove any of the fun though. However, if DayZ manages to somehow make a really optimized finished product, then maybe, just maybe, we can have that sort of scale.

Still, SOE, the makers of Planetside 2, have tons more resources than Rocket and his motley crew of programmers. It would be highly unlikely that he would even consider such a huge development.

• Like 1

Planetside 2 manages to have about 2,000 players while on a huge sized map. of course, it's not the size of the UK, and there are still a good amount of issues and networking problems. This doesn't remove any of the fun though. However, if DayZ manages to somehow make a really optimized finished product, then maybe, just maybe, we can have that sort of scale.

Still, SOE, the makers of Planetside 2, have tons more resources than Rocket and his motley crew of programmers. It would be highly unlikely that he would even consider such a huge development.

Yes the resources for this would be a down the liner. But really there is nothing stopping you from going x4 or x8 cherno if the realistic layout was kept which makes sense to people.

I've thought about this as well. Though, not country sized. I live in Canada and was thinking something more like the size of a Province.

1000km x 1000km or so. But with the ability to hold thousands of people per server.

Would be awesome, but probably won't happen :P

If you're looking for realistic city sizes check out Taviana map that one probably has the most polished look of all of them.

If you're looking for realistic city sizes check out Taviana map that one probably has the most polished look of all of them.

Yes Taviana is quite awesome, whole chunk of my videos are based there with friends. Something about the design of it is really very good.

Edited by De4dCert

lol good luck having a few frustrating years making a map of a whole country.

Read this guys signature. Thats what my reply would be if someone asked me to make a map this big.

This is a really good idea but i have to agree with the others. Building a map the size of even a small place like rhode island would take a lot of time and a 1000 slot server would be on the extreme. Ping would have to be strictly enforced and even then you would lag like crazy. Could you imagine being in cherno with 300 other players... Lagfest.

it would take weeks just to cross the map lol it wouldnt be a good team friendly game . besides there are games already that have country sized maps like those simulator games for pc that come out every new year