Sign in to follow this  
TheSushi

Batteries & Restoring Power

Again, sorry if this is a common topic. I searched "battery" and "batteries" and nothing remotely related to adding them in-game came up.

In short, I'd like it if batteries were added as a resource and implemented in a reasonable manner. Make them a toolbelt asset like matches that are finite and need replacement.

I don't think this would overly affect flashlights, which would reasonably only need new batteries after very long runtimes. But where it would make a huge difference is NVGs and powered sights. NVGs are inherently battery-hungry. That's why the US and other countries don't give them special, proprietary high-capacity batteries, but common, less efficient AA type batteries. They run through them quick, so they are meant to be replaced regularly.

I think this would solve the issue some players have with items like NVGs seeming like permanent upgrades. Since they don't break like they do in real life, death is the only way to get rid of them. In reality, NVGs have to be maintained and supplied with batteries. Making the energy finite would change NVGs from a player upgrade and essential camping implement to a special-use tool that has to be used when it makes sense, just like real life.

IRL, NVGs tend to have a run time of about a day. IMO, 3 hours would be a reasonable time for a single set of batteries ingame. A flashlight in comparison could be like 10? Red dot sights are probably not an issue - the US Aimpoints have runtimes that last for several years unattended. Optics like the ACOG don't even use batteries.

This also tied into an idea I had regarding generating power - you could use fuel to activate generators in cities that would turn on lights and such, as well as charge batteries. It would be a good reward for organized players and a way to make the existing gas supply more scarce.

• Like 4

Again, sorry if this is a common topic. I searched "battery" and "batteries" and nothing remotely related to adding them in-game came up.

In short, I'd like it if batteries were added as a resource and implemented in a reasonable manner. Make them a toolbelt asset like matches that are finite and need replacement.

I don't think this would overly affect flashlights, which would reasonably only need new batteries after very long runtimes. But where it would make a huge difference is NVGs and powered sights. NVGs are inherently battery-hungry. That's why the US and other countries don't give them special, proprietary high-capacity batteries, but common, less efficient AA type batteries. They run through them quick, so they are meant to be replaced regularly.

I think this would solve the issue some players have with items like NVGs seeming like permanent upgrades. Since they don't break like they do in real life, death is the only way to get rid of them. In reality, NVGs have to be maintained and supplied with batteries. Making the energy finite would change NVGs from a player upgrade and essential camping implement to a special-use tool that has to be used when it makes sense, just like real life.

IRL, NVGs tend to have a run time of about a day. IMO, 3 hours would be a reasonable time for a single set of batteries ingame. A flashlight in comparison could be like 10? Red dot sights are probably not an issue - the US Aimpoints have runtimes that last for several years unattended. Optics like the ACOG don't even use batteries.

This also tied into an idea I had regarding generating power - you could use fuel to activate generators in cities that would turn on lights and such, as well as charge batteries. It would be a good reward for organized players and a way to make the existing gas supply more scarce.

Yeah that would nerf NVG's and make it more realistic. Maybe you could make the batteries harder to find so players won't rely on them forever. As for the flashlight attached on guns, they should also run on batteries that need to replaced but they would deplete slower. Regular flashlights/military flashlights you could find the batteries commonly and they wouldn't need to be replaced for a period of time. Maybe when your using a flashlight/weapon flashlight and the batteries are running low, the flashlight will dim and maybe flicker here and there, then completely die all together.

Good idea. Have a can o' beans for your idea!

• Like 1

Yeah that would nerf NVG's and make it more realistic. Maybe you could make the batteries harder to find so players won't rely on them forever. As for the flashlight attached on guns, they should also run on batteries that need to replaced but they would deplete slower. Regular flashlights/military flashlights you could find the batteries commonly and they wouldn't need to be replaced for a period of time. Maybe when your using a flashlight/weapon flashlight and the batteries are running low, the flashlight will dim and maybe flicker here and there, then completely die all together.

Good idea. Have a can o' beans for your idea!

Well, like I said above, most NVGs and military flashlights just use the same batteries, AAs.

NVGs just use more of them more often.

I am all towards the idea of a (near) completely realistic game, as for some other ideas like food poisoning and sicknesses like the flu could be more like a hardcore game mode for more experienced players

Well, like I said above, most NVGs and military flashlights just use the same batteries, AAs.

NVGs just use more of them more often.

It would be also nice if you could find rechargeable versions of the batteries, though they wouldn't last as much as regular batteries but they would still serve a purpose.

I am all towards the idea of a (near) completely realistic game, as for some other ideas like food poisoning and sicknesses like the flu could be more like a hardcore game mode for more experienced players

That's certainly possible, though IMO, having batteries is also possible feature in a game that people don't consider to be super hardcore. Its just ammo for electronics.

• Like 1