Sign in to follow this  
Minariability

Why do I lag in Dayz? ):

I get about 10 - 15 fps. My laptop is supposed to be pretty good, too... here are the specs, its an HP pavilion m6.

-AMD A8 @ 1.9GHz

-8GB Ram

-HD Radeon 7640g + 7600m Dual Graphics.

Here is my problem: When I first bought the laptop, which was about 2 months ago, it could run any, i mean ANY game, at 45 fps. even battlefield 3 and crysis 2. but now, for some awkward reason, i get MAX 20 fps on ANY game I try to play. even minecraft! i updated the drivers, defrag'd the disk, did anything i could! can anyone please help me??

I've had your problem, What i see wrong about that:

A Laptop lags on almost everything you do,

What is your Processor? I have a i7.

Lower your quality.

You might have a Virus, mate...

It could be that your computer is getting too hot. I have to have a fan blowing on mine or it overheats.

It could be that your computer is getting too hot. I have to have a fan blowing on mine or it overheats.

This. People often get lazy with laptops and forget they are like cars - they need to be able to rid themselves of heat using the design they've been built with. Laptops should really be called Tabletops - because thats what they need to be on.

Get something to read the GPU and CPU speed/temp (often refer'd to as widgets for windows) and check to see if they are at a harmful level based on your products guide lines... heat and cause damage that cannot be undone.

Edited by FinKone
  • Like 1

You may want to check that you're not overheating...

this pretty much. broken fan can ruin the whole PC.

i run on i7 with 4mb ram but i play around 4-8 fps because my fan is broken. it overages your system overtime and at the time of the overheating it will significantly weaken your PC

You may want to start the game using "-cpuCount=8" and "-exThreads=7"

Edited by Zombo

It's your processor man, it's terrible for such a draw-distance oriented game. Set all your settings as low as possible.

Well if your hard drive is slow like a typical laptop HDD is then that's quite an issue for a game like Arma 2/DayZ. They are both CPU/HDD heavy and it looks like your CPU and HDD are lacking. Dual graphic cards will only get you so far. Your RAM is fine at 8GB.

Consider looking into what your HDD clocks at and give us an update.

If it used to work fine, but isn't working fine now, then it's not down to the fact that ArmA II is an intensive game, something has gone wrong with your PC.

There are several things that could cause this:

-Overheating CPU/GPU

-Viruses

-Out of date drivers

-Failing HDD

-Installing adware and other memory/cpu hog programs that you don't need

My guess is as good as any others. First, I'd suggest downloading a program like Speedfan to check your CPU/GPU temps. Anything above 60 degrees is a little hot, but I wouldn't worry. If it's hitting 80/90 degrees C while playing games, then I would start to worry a little.

If it's not your fan that's the problem, next I'd spend quite some time going through your HDD to see what programs you have installed. If they aren't necessary, then uninstall completely (This may take up to an hour or 2 to do).

Make sure you run a full system scan with your antivirus program, not just a quick scan. Some antivirus programs take several hours to do this though, so be aware.

Last tip is make sure your computer is still utilizing both your GPU's (if you're crossfiring that is), it may have just forgotten about one of them or something like that.

If it used to work fine, but isn't working fine now, then it's not down to the fact that ArmA II is an intensive game, something has gone wrong with your PC.

There are several things that could cause this:

-Overheating CPU/GPU

-Viruses

-Out of date drivers

-Failing HDD

-Installing adware and other memory/cpu hog programs that you don't need

My guess is as good as any others. First, I'd suggest downloading a program like Speedfan to check your CPU/GPU temps. Anything above 60 degrees is a little hot, but I wouldn't worry. If it's hitting 80/90 degrees C while playing games, then I would start to worry a little.

If it's not your fan that's the problem, next I'd spend quite some time going through your HDD to see what programs you have installed. If they aren't necessary, then uninstall completely (This may take up to an hour or 2 to do).

Make sure you run a full system scan with your antivirus program, not just a quick scan. Some antivirus programs take several hours to do this though, so be aware.

Last tip is make sure your computer is still utilizing both your GPU's (if you're crossfiring that is), it may have just forgotten about one of them or something like that.

If none of that works I would suggest performing a recovery(reinstalls windows restart and press F11 repeatedly until the recovery manager pops up). Be sure to backup all files you want to keep first though! Also my card gets up to 80c-90c with no hickups or issues over the last 2 years(my case sucks as a few fans went out). The max rate the video card can handle depends entirely on the specific graphics card(mine has a max rate of 105c).

Edited by MaGicBush

Amd processors aren't that good for games like arma 2, as it is a very cpu intensive game, i have amd fx i get a bit better fps than you but i want a intel cpu.

Because you have a bad computer. <- What I thought when I saw the title.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <- What I think now that I have read your specs.

Yup, sorry mate, it's your CPU holding you back. Tweaking settings will only get you so far.

We all know his hardware could be better, but at the end of his OP, he stated that hes seeing a decrease in performance - thats what hes looking for help here with. :|

We all know his hardware could be better, but at the end of his OP, he stated that hes seeing a decrease in performance - thats what hes looking for help here with. :|

yeah, I would think that's probably something (possibly malicious) running in the background. OP might want to run something like malwarebytes to look into that

I think overheating issues usually lead to shut-down, and not decreased performance

Lower your settings.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7600M+%2B+7600M+Dual

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7640G&id=310

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+560&id=71

Your GPU's don't even run at 1/3rd the power of last years low end model Nvidia card which currently sells for around $140.00. Also, Arma 2 is very unoptimized and is heavily reliant on your CPU, which is also lacking. I run the game @ 45-60 FPS on high settings with a GTX 560ti and a i5 2500K clocked at 4.6ghz... Not only is your GPU 1/4th or 1/5th as good as mine but your CPU is clocked at not even half as fast as mine is, and even I dip on FPS sometimes.

You can check heat all you want but I'm fairly certain your specs just aren't enough to run this game well.

Everybody is getting low fps... DayZ is not so good optimized now... Hope when SA come they optimize the game.

People with good PCs get high FPS, lol. ^^

get a cooling platform for laptops 70€

People with good PCs get high FPS, lol. ^^

I have good pc and sometimes i have low fps

You should try a reformat. Its really underrated, my pc is getting on 4-5 maybe 6 year old now with a Dual core and 5670. It was struggling before with 2 gb of HDD left and full to the brim with crap, probably viruses.

Now its running like a brand new up to date rig, my internet is still useless so i get the odd lag with the yellow connection sometimes.

If you dont or arent able to reformat, you could try Throttlestop, Ramfix, or Razer game booster they helped a lot before my reformat.

Edited by martinusn