Sign in to follow this  
fazza7

Handcuffs, zipties and blindfolds.

+1 for this idea, dayz need more things to do to other players other than killing them directly. This will add more drama other than "shoot on sight"

I personally hate the fact that the only choice I have is to kill other people to get their gear, it takes away most of the fun in a "social" game. What if I can rob them instead? Or kidnap them? Silently takedown them to unconsciosness and have them wake up stripped of gear except for the things you intentionally leave behind?

Of course, the problem is people can troll and leave a tied person behind for ages. But what if a mechanism is added, that the takedowns are not permanent? What if, since the handcuffs or ropes you find are "rusted" in such a way a player can break free of them after 15 mins unless you apply another cuff to them before that timer ends.

I think that's a fantastic idea, GeneticFreak.

Zip ties will eventually break. The reason we use them for law enforcement today is for use in scenarios where there's tons of people, so you need to carry lightweight cuffs, and you can generally have them restrained in quick order.

Perhaps your could cuff a player if you got behind them, or if they laid down on the ground and removed their weapons. This would allow a lot more ambiguity with the morality system.

So, you have some randomized timer, anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes for example - more than enough to GTFO after you've taken some stuff, not too much of a liability to the enprisoned player in a lot of scenarios. A random chance of dying if you quit wouldn't be a bad idea, leaving your lootable corpse behind for someone else to find for a short period of time. Contary to blindfolding, allowing the player to see while bound is a lot more drama, IMO.

I don't wanna end up like Merrel on a rooftop and having to cut of my own hand while im blindfolded : 3

//Though Merrel wasn't blindfolded

Edited by ninjan777

Well, that's an ironic example because (TWD spoiler)

they went back for him very soon after anyway, so it was completely unnecessary.

And wasn't that a hacksaw? I can imagine cutting the handcuffs not working with a saw which has large teeth, but a hacksaw would have cut the chains with ease. Just a little bit of sawing to get trough it.

Edited by Sutinen

And wasn't that a hacksaw? I can imagine cutting the handcuffs not working with a saw which has large teeth, but a hacksaw would have cut the chains with ease. Just a little bit of sawing to get trough it.

Have you tried hacksawing through a quality padlock? It's not easy, the hacksaw wears out very fast. I'd imagine its the same case with quality handcuffs.

i think this is a good idea actually but would have to be limited. for example you could only blindfold and handcuff a person if you had a friend who had snuck up behind the player without him knowing and got him in a choke hold as so he couldnt escape. then you could run up and slap handcuffs or tie him up with a rope and blindfold him. you could then load him into a car and take him were ever you pleased. the downside to this is that as the player who gets captured once you are tied up you have a option to try to escape. as the captured player once you were in a choke hold you could start fighting to escape and if you were gave enough time you could break free. another option for the player is instead of handcuffing him disarming him by ripping his gun from his hand or off his back. after bound, there could be a window where the player himself had to work his way out of the bindings such as skyrim and picking locks. obviously this would take some time, but it could be made where ropes were easier to get and could be stored in your toolbelt to be used for other functions as well and handcuffs were rare to find and also went on your toolbelt but had no other function. as ropes were simpler to get and had other functions the downside is that it is easier to untie the knot and escape once bound. handcuffs on the other hand would require a pick to pick their lock and would be harder to escape from, balancing them out. once free, you could opt to roll out of the car as it was driving, taking some blood loss and having a low chance of breaking your bones depending on the speed of the car, or you could wait for them to remove you from the car and free yourself and maybe punch them or run away.

On a side note, as for zip ties used on the wrists. I would make sure to add a smaller pair to their thumbs as well. So if they try and snap loose like in the video then guess what happens to their thumbs... *evilgrin*

There's absolutly no way they would consider adding this feature. I'm so sorry. But as a gamer and as an amature game developer I'd like to give you some insight why. ONE, the main reason, what if you got handcuffed and impaired what would you do? That would totally ruin the fun if you couldn't move at all. Take Red Dead Redemption for example. A great game, in singleplayer you constantly use the rope to do strange things like tie a man and put him on the tracks, wrangle a horse or tie up a baddie to bring to the local law office. But there's no lasso in multiplayer? If you we're riding you horse like a magestic kick-arse lawbringer dude riding a bull, and all of the sudden you get whipped off by a noob with a lasso and are tied down and left what do you do? You're a sitting duck. And if an arse-hole sucha s myself decides to guard you tied up body as a sniper kiling anyone who tries to get near you'll sit there for years.

Give said tied up player the means to end their torment via a suicide command. That way, you can just kill yourself, or play along with the kidnapping/interrogation/whatever in the hopes you don't lose your gear.

This allows the player to prevent people greifing them with the function. By giving the player that power, you counter act a trolls power to ruin said players day.

It hasn't been implemented in multiplayer games because most games are fun. This game however, does not cater to new players, nor does it cater to casual players. You either adapt quickly, or become an easy target. If any game introduced a feature like this, Dayz would be it.

Oh dammit... necro. Sorry everyone.

Edited by Ephringael