Alexander (DayZ)

Simple solution to disconnect exploit

I'm all for implementing penalties as suggested in the above posts.

One caveat:

We need to be able to implement groups/squads.

Wonky servers are a fact of life, wonky ISPs in the US (and elsewhere) are a fact of life.

If you are standing next to your buddy and fighting zombies and you disconnect, your proximity to your buddy should not penalize you due to CTD/ISP/etc, etc.

So, if in freefire=true and near a squadmate, and not near a non-squadmate, no penalty.

If freefire=true and next to a squadmate and a non-squadmate, penalty.

If freefire=true and not near squadmate and near non-squadmate, penalty.

If freefire=true and not near a squadmate and not near a non-squadmate, send a bug report. :P

if some sort of squad system isn't implemented, the PvPers will purposefully targets groups first,...

10 seconds is too short of a time. people can easily hide behind some rocks, or behind the crest of a hill after sniping at you, then disconnect all the same. Time should be 2-3 minutes, if PvP was detected. If not, disconnect should be instant.

I also feel that an exaggerated hit box is not ideal, it may suit a different purpose but for this system I don't feel that it does. My opinion is that if anybody is within so many meters of any weapons fire, they should be considered in PvP. They may not be directly engaged in the PvP themselves, however that area has basically become a PvP area and they are at risk whether they like it or not. This system could be augmented by changing the size of area that was declared a PvP zone by weapon class fired i.e.; Pistols = 100m zone, Assault rifle = 300m zone, Sniper rifle = 600m zone, in order to better suit each situation and minimize the size of PvP zones. I know this would cause a lot of net traffic, so If the PvP zone declaration was only done once per player upon first shot, and then every 30 seconds after or something along those lines, that could help minimize lag, and network traffic due to scripts checking locations and distances to different players and all that.

I know some people may think, "but what if i didn't hear the shot, or it went off right as I was hitting disconnect?" Well that sucks, you should have found a safe place to disconnect from, rather than disconnecting in the middle of chernogorsk. If you weren't involved in the shooting, and had smartly positioned yourself before disconnecting, then you should be fine. Nobody will find you in the time your body remains at whatever position you left it, and you will most likely return to your character where you left it. Yes there is a small chance somebody could find you, kill you, and loot your brainless body, even though you weren't involved directly in the PvP. The chance of somebody legitimately falling into a situation like this, and being killed because of it, are small to almost none at all. Still the benefit of stopping alt+f4'ers and sever hoppers, at the risk of possibly getting a very small number of legitimate players killed, I feel is worth it.

Just curious' date=' how do other games deal with it? Such as MMOs in a pvp situation?

[/quote']

The main reason this isnt a problem in less hardcore MMOs as WOW is the penalty. Dying in wow makes it so you'll have to walk to your corpse and resurrect. You aint loosing any gear. Heck, your gear doesnt even get damaged as it does in PVE. In DayZ though, you might loose hours, even tens of hours, of work when dying. So I suspect that if the penalty for dying would be higher in other MMOs, they would find themself with people trying to find hacks out of the same problem.

what happens if someone is 200-300 metres away you shoot at them, they run off and hide behind a tree and disonnect, its takes you 1 minute to get to them and finish them off, but they are already logged out and are in another server?

Wouldnt there then have to add a wait timer to join another server.

Are we not gentlemen' date=' have we not a gentlmen's code?

I have many little rewengwei missions on the go at the minute but I will make a special little dark-hole in my heart for the people who alt-f4 on me during a gunbattle that they initiate. This is the omerta my friend. You just made THE list, not A list. THE LIST. I shall not revenge myself on you but once.

I shall follow closely at your heal. Track you for hours, and when you go AFK to let the cat out, or give the dog some food, or stop the dog using the cat as food I will skip up to you and give you some shotgun mouthwash. By the time you get back to your keyboard there will be insufficient time to alt-f4 out. You're going to be out and out dead. I'm not even going to take your stuff - I'll leave it for some nubs to find. I will put rounds into your recumbant body just to be sure.

In short, if I ever see you alt f4 on me...boy. I will follow you to the ends of reason; To the Australian servers if I must, and I will never cease to troll you until you repent the day your mother gave you birth. My revenge shall be as cold and sweet as ice cream.

Love and kisses,

Alex xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :heart:

[/quote']

I love you for making this post. Here you go. [ :heart: ]

Ok, I don't usually get involved in forums, cause it's usually a bunch of bullshit, and this one has that already with the PvP is bad, PvP is good non-sense that neither side to get a grasp on what the other is saying.

That being said, this alt-f4 shit is really getting my goat mates.

Full disclaimer, I've never alt-f4'd and I never will, but I have had a crash that worked quite well in my favor.

But on to the point, this alt-f4 business is crap, I don't have the best gear, I don't camp the stupid 3 or 4 spots where it all spawns, but today, my mates and I were at the NW Airfield, we get shot at, and some of my mates get killed, yeah, cool. I get hit, go down, and after several agonizing minutes, manage to crawl away from the ambush (our own damn fault for spending 76min and 33secs on the airfield), get healed up a bit, and get good to go. I then proceed to out maneuver the bandits that hit us, I get up them, they never see me coming, I clip the first one, AND BAM, GONE disconnected. Second one doesn't even turn around, BAM disconnected.

I'm a humble peasant with a shotgun, and they had top of the line rifles, I had them dead to rights, but no, alt-f4 saves the day.

That all being said, I'm not sure how to fix it, because I for sure do not want to get killed by the server fucking up, and my character staying in the game.

Only thing I can really propose is maybe (and I have no idea how hard this is to implement) that your first "crash" or "alt-f4" whatever, doesn't count against you, but you do it again in say 12 or 24 hours, and this time you stay on the server for 5-10 seconds, assuming you survive that, do it again in the same time period and this time it's 30-60 seconds, etc.

A kind of three strikes and your out style of sytem.

everyone does it but only few have balls to admit it...

Limeni, that's absolute bullshit.

Most players have the balls to not do it in the first place.

Since when did admitting guilt become a sign of being brave? You still did the cowardly act in the first place. It takes a complete lack of balls to do so.

Limeni' date=' that's absolute bullshit.

Most players have the balls to not do it in the first place.

Since when did admitting guilt become a sign of being brave? You still did the cowardly act in the first place. It takes a complete lack of balls to do so.

[/quote']

I actually never did it but I'm not saying I wont. I saw many, many players doing it and they all find some reasons for it (zombies gltiching, bla bla bla this and that) It's the easy way out, everyone is doing it and until devs fix it this kind of threads are pointless...

First thing: 'Everyone is doing it' is objectively false. Go into a server. Every time you see 'Player X has been killed', someone WASN'T doing it. More to the point, every time you see someone talk on Group chat after they die, that's someone not doing it. As well as that, you can personally choose to not do it yourself, so that's one more person, and I certainly know that all of my friends don't do it, so that's even more.

Secondly, 'everyone is doing it' is hardly a way to justify an action that has been labelled by the creator of the game as an exploit.

I'd never log out after initiating the combat, but if you find yourself ambushed in an open field, it takes supreme restraint not to take an easy way out which the game allows.

I didnt see a thread about this so here goes with a quick solution.

If youre bleeding when you disconnect you keep bleeding offline. Youre also stuck looking at an hour glass either way when you rejoin.

If anyone has better lets hear it.

Edit. Also our 2 new US expert servers are coming up today. You will be banned if caught disconnecting during pvp.

OK, every player that has played for some time and has some decent gear will take the easy way out. Newly respawned players wont, cause there's no point.

Better now?

Please stop acting all moral and shit, you're being ridiculous.

OK' date=' every player that has played for some time and has some decent gear will take the easy way out. Newly respawned players wont, cause there's no point.[/quote']

Like I said earlier, I challenge any player to identify me as an Alt-F4er.

I have never done it...ever. The closest ive come to "alt-f4ing" was when I logged in above a group of people unexpectidly, shot 1 in a panic, was told by team-mates (who were still trying to get in to server) to log out, logged out to the lobby screen (not alt-F4), and thought "no, that's not fair on them"...logged back in, fought the good fight, and got killed.

The whole ordeal was about 10 seconds before I came back and took the hits...the log-out lasted about 5 seconds, as everything was panic.

Before I died I was unconscious for 30 seconds. I lay there and took the next 30 seconds of hits like a fool should. Could have easily logged out and survived after going unconscious.

Those guys were unluck that I logged in on top of them, they deserved a break in the form of the loot on my corpse.

So no, I have no respect for anyone who regularly alt-f4's out.

OK' date=' every player that has played for some time and has some decent gear will take the easy way out. Newly respawned players wont, cause there's no point.[/quote']

I had a session going for over 8 hours across three days, with several rifles in tow. I got in an unfortunate firefight with someone who claimed to be friendly, and then shot me.

Did I even consider altf4-ing? No. Not once. For the same reason I don't find out how recent hackers have been giving themselves RPG's and do the same as them.

I'm not taking the 'moral' highground. I don't believe that this is an issue of morality, or honor. There's nothing wrong with being immoral or dishonorable in this game: Bandits do precisely that. Although I or my friends wouldn't do so, that IS part of the game. The problem is when you break the rules: You are, by definition, doing something OUTSIDE the game as it was constructed.

OK' date=' every player that has played for some time and has some decent gear will take the easy way out. Newly respawned players wont, cause there's no point.

Better now?

Please stop acting all moral and shit, you're being ridiculous.

[/quote']

I was shot today at the NW airfield by some guy having a Winchester after I shot him (he ambushed me). I had a GPS, AKM (I like it better than those holo/reddot Peashooters), PDW, CZ550. So not too shabby.

I was laying on the ground and bleeding. Yet I did not log out to wait for a mate to come but died.

I respawned at Cherno, gathered some stuff in the appartments, went north again. Reclaimed my body, shot a few guys but found nothing of value.

Go play a single player game where you can quick save please. Otherwise you could end up dead.

Got killed twice yesterday, was a pretty bad day for me. Luckily my team recovered my gear for me, so all I had to do was land nav up to their position to reclaim my junk. I coulda alt+f4'ed and saved myself the time and effort to get right back to where I was, but why? I hate when people do that to me, and I will not do it for any reason. Yeah it wasted 20-30 mins of time for my group and I, I lost a good backpack, and my teams mission for the night got scrubbed, but thats the name of the game. Everybody should be held to that standard.

ps. I'm a bandit, and proud to be... so don't go saying that all bandits alt+f4.

ps. I'm a bandit' date=' and proud to be... so don't go saying that all bandits alt+f4.

[/quote']

Certainly not all do but certainly all don't either. And this isn't a bandit specific thing. Last night I got into face to face shootouts with a bandit on three different occasions... I never fire the first shot (I'm proud not to be a bandit) but I tend to win most fair gun fights anyway. It took more than a single shot to take down each one and each had plenty of time to alt+f4... but none of them did. I can respect that.

On the same night and same server I had sort of loosely teamed up with a non-bandit as we were both collecting the basic gear at Cherno and were really looking for different things. We got chased by a horde of zombies, one of the biggest ones I've seen in game yet, he suddenly disconnected and I blew myself up :blush: with an HE taking 24 of the zed with me. I died, he didn't.

Dig this you hip chicks.

Me and my E-bro went north to arm up before inititating a little revenge fest on the Seattle server. We had targets in mind. We spent too long hanging around a military camp. We got greedy, with sacks full of ammunition for our rifles we continued to run circles looking for even sweeter loot instead of just running when we had our stuff. 2 minutes later we went down under a hail of shotgun fire. I'm not even sure where it was coming from - we nearly got out but we didn't. It took me the best part of 12 hours to gear up to that extent. I hope whoever bagged us on the seattle server at 17:00 gmt enjoys it...

Now consider this: My friend is a rage-quitter, rage-quitting is something he has done many a time. But he is not so spineless as to alt-f4 out during a gunfight in dayz

If you alt-f4 out I would speculate you are actually suffering from a character defect. It IS cheating. And don't come in here waving your confession like it meant something, you just admitted to something on the internet WOW - well done - I've got screencaps of a guy admitting he sniffs his sister's panties. NO ONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET.

I don't care if you do it and admit it or do it and don't admit it. You still have less character than an autistic five year old I once met who played chess, at least he didn't knock the board over when he was losing.

Tl;dr alt-f4 is for cunts. End of discussion.

This is right now #1 issue with the game. Possible solutions:

- Add 20/30 sec timer before being able to disconnect.

- If you are hit when you disconnect you keep bleeding offline.

- A system that detects if bullets are flying around you, if true add additional timer on top of the normal one before being able to disconnect.

Had an idea while going through this thread, on-top of the whole wait "x" amount of time when you disconnect. Make it so you have to use the menu and wait that time with your character and have the ability to interupt it if necessary and make alt+f4 a suicide button...

/end brain fart

good idea darque. You can also disable alt + f4 with windows DLL. But i m not sure if you can use these DLL with ArmA

I don't think the specific key combination is really integral to the issue. After all, there's more than one way to quit.