Sign in to follow this  
Tweakie

Server names format (non issue, but none the less)

Alrighty, I am going to be very Pedantic. So move along, nothing interesting to read here.

Would there be any way for the DayZ devs to insist/enforce a format for server names? Before the Counter-strike Server browser syndrome sets in.

When I started playing, most servers followed a standard format "Dayz Zombie RPG -" followed by the individual server name.

Now 3 formats have popped up:

Dayz Zombie RPG -

Dayz

Dayz -

plus a few handfuls of server that follow no format at all.

So again, is there any way for the Devs to insist on a standardize Format before we start getting the " [[!!!()!!!]] DayZ - DE #1" (no offence to germany, just had to pick a name). Before even more server start popping up and they start jockeying even harder to show up on the top of the list?

And making the sorting system more of a burden, than a help.

Would be cool if all servers had also info about 3rd person, crosshair and nameplates in their names as well as the time zone.

Some requirement for server names to follow a predefined pattern would be most welcome. As it stands now I have to join 5-10 servers before I find one without crosshairs or one that will actually let me join. I think there should be some sort of server name requirement template set forth by the dev team to require servers to follow so server searches are easier and servers can begin to get regulars and be known in the community for certain things. The sooner the server names are formatted into something not-so-random then servers can begin this process.

Below is the format that I'm suggesting.

Dayz - Country/cityname(US/Russia/China only since all others are too small - unless there are enough to warrant such a distinction) - (version#) [3RDPerson:On/Off|CrossHairstatus:On/Off][TIMEZONEinGMT] Host: hostname

With the final example looking something like:

Dayz - US ATL5 - (v1.7.1.1) [3DP:OFF|CH:OFF][GMT-4] Host: Thatguy

Or

Dayz - UK 1 - (v1.7.1.1) [3DP:ON|CH:OFF][GMT-10] Host: DavefromUK

While I don't think the 3DP is completely necessary I would argue that crosshairs are. I can play all day in a server that has 3DP but one that has crosshairs and I back out immediately.

If you play a bunch, just choose a couple of favorite servers and use the filter function. Or other selections in the filter function. Though I agree that determining the choices of each server is important as you mention time, cross-hairs, 3rd person, moon or no, etc etc.