CitizenIosef`

The Shack - a different kind of Taviana server.

Restriction 10 kicks have been somewhat frequent lately. The admin staff have been unable to replicate the issue, but we've heard from players that updating battleye manually fixes the issue.

unfortunitly i had to shut down the server just now. the amount of hackers entering was too much for me to handle, last attack he teleported everyone to one spot and killed them all. sorry again guys but im gonna have to let this cool down for abit. im currently on the shack teamspeak if any of you wanna come chat.

ILLICI7

alright hopefully things calm down, ive rolled back the server to a point before the major teleport. server is back up as of 18:45

ILLICI7

Bans of WES10 and o.shadowfox have been lifted.

We do not believe that they were aware of Ciceros hacking, and have taken into consideration both their spotless record and the good reputation of the entire o.[variable] clan.

So, how does this fit in with our policy of banning not only hackers, but those they are associated with? Frankly, it does not. In this circumstance, there was obviously no evidence of these individuals hacking themselves(or the appeal would have had a different - and much quicker - outcome), but we have no way of knowing if they had knowingly or unknowingly received information/equipment/other assistance from said hacker. In this case, we've weighed our usual policy against the facts and the reputations of these players. I cannot stress how much I hope that they go on to prove that the appeals system we have in place here works and made the right outcome occur.

Moving forward, I don't want people to think that they cannot team up with randoms. I simply want everyone to be aware of their surroundings and those they are playing with - hacking is on the rise, and it is an insidious enemy. These hackers have tools at their disposal which make detection very difficult for admins. The best tool at the disposal of those of us invested in The Shack a grassroots effort to report and observe the actions of these hackers. Nobody will ever be punished for reporting hackers - quite the opposite.

Welcome back to The Shack, WES and Shadow.

thank you sir, i have greatly enjoyed your server and am now glad i can continue playing one it. happy i can get back to playing. and just to be clear we didnt recieve anything from him except a ride, so unless that vehic was hacked in we had no suspicions on our side at all otherwise we would not have associated ourselves with him. again thank you and keep up the good work

quick update... server went down last night and is still currently down. no ETA on when it will be back up, our host had a DDoS attack.

ILLICI7

• Like 1

So glad the server's back up. I'm having all sorts of feelings for this server. Feelings down there.

A quick update on the current state of the wreck/care package spawns:

To give some background, several weeks ago we decided to eliminate loot spawns at helicopter crashes. There was two reasons for this change:

1) The crash sites are entirely too easy to locate on this map, especially at night.

2) We've never been entirely happy with the loot tables of helicopter crashes, where one may find a Bizon next to a FN FAL. What sort of unit operates with a Bizon and a FAL in their equipment? We found this to be somewhat immersion breaking.

To rectify the above issues, we started by eliminating heli crash loot. To replace this resource, we decided that expanding the loot found at non-burning wrecks and care packages would work well, as these resources are more difficult to find(since they do not burn/smoke), and since these resources natively support multiple loot tables.

Our goal is to have the tables make sense - that is to say, you can go up to a wreck or care package, and tell what nationality or force the loot was sourced from.

Up until last night, there was only the proof of concept loot tables which portray a modern Russian Federation force with the AK-107 family of weapons and other assorted Russian-sourced weapons. It was immediately apparent that something was wrong with the loot tables, as they were heavily biased towards AK-107 type weapons. Some spawns were entirely the base AK-107 - six or seven of them on the ground with varying amounts of ammunition.

Last night we deployed a fix which would was supposed to fix the frequency of AK-107 systems in Russian loot spawns, and introduce NATO(G36/L85 type systems), United States type systems(M16/M4 family), and civilian/insurgent systems in their respective loot spawns.

As of this writing, the Russian loot piles are still heavily biased towards AK-107 type systems(although not quite as bad as before), USA type loot spawns seem to be working decently, civilian/insurgent piles seem to be working decently, and NATO piles are not spawning at all as far as we can tell.

Over the next week or so, we'll be deploying different wreck loot patches which will temporarily reduce the variety until we can nail down exactly how the percentage chance operation works. Please bear with us - the end result will be very cool and hopefully very enjoyable to play with.

On two seperate notes:

1) AS50s and other rare systems haven't been spawning for quite some time. It has come to our attention that the total number of these systems have been increasing - despite not spawning at all. We suspect that we are once again suffering from a small number of individuals duplicating such items, and will be monitoring the owners of these systems closely once again. If/when we find duplication, we intend to issue bans persuant to our policy that views exploits as identical to hacking.

2) We will continue to look for a solution to the nagging issue of periphery dots. These will be eliminated at some point, as this is the second biggest complaint we receive from players. Attempts to remove this 'feature' have been unsuccessful to date, but we remain optimistic that we can successfully remove it.

• Like 1

Like the updates guys. All sounds good cant wait for the new weapons to start spawning more. With the peripheral dots though, the new dayz patch got rid of those so you should be fine and not have to worry too much about fixing them.

On a side note though, if the code is released and if you guys have tried it, you should think about porting over to dayz origins. We played it and live it and its on Tatiana so it's not that much different, new buildings and stuff along with some more islands and section b. just thought I'd mention

i also had a look at origins, ether my commander is broke or no one is running it. doesnt look very popular, probably would be a bad idea to switch over.

ILLICI7

The issue with Origins that I have seen is that some of the buildings suffer from nonsensical placement. Also, while the new vehicles are very, very cool, it'd be preferable to replace all vehicles with vehicles of the same type - Origins still required vanilla DayZ vehicles to round out the vehicle selection.

Finally, the aesthetic of the vehicles is somewhat seperate from the asthetic that we are trying to reach, as we're striving for a setting hours/days after the event, rather than months/years.

i get what you guys are saying. but for the popularity thing, i think its becuz the guys who created it are being stingy with their code so their arent many servers. but the servers that are teh originals are ALWAYS full. and i mean always. weve been trying them out and have nothing but fun in them. and they have all the same vehicles you guys have plus more, and then all the new ones, and witht eh whole night 4 hour and day 4 hours it adds a little bit of both no matter what time of day you play or where you are. and again section B just creates a whole new experience. but i do understand some of building problems. and what do you mean by even?

It occurs to me that Origins might be doable with our vision if we leave off the super post apocalyptic vehicles. We'll look into it. If it looks like we can rock it, we'll put it to a popular server population vote like we did with the original move from Chernarus to Taviana. I really like the idea of additional islands to make use of all that empty water area.

The big detraction I see at this point will be the mandatory resetting of all vehicles and having to replace all those spawns. People will start at zero again, which may be a draw against a switch. But I'll definitely look into it and see if it'll work and if the server owner is into it.

Received and replied. Nice to see you on this morning/early afternoon!

In other news, we're working on some new vehicles and kit - beyond what we JUST added.

Experimentation yielded some additional weapons/vehicles that are usable:

Weapons:

(note that all weapons seem to be functioning perfectly at this time)

The missing Camo G36s/MG36,

The VSS Vintorez suppressed special purpose rifle,

Most of the SCAR family of weapons(both H and L, or Mk16 and Mk17 alternatively),

M32 six-shot 40mm grenade launcher(HE, multiple flare colors, multiple smoke colors),

Metis AT-13 SACLOS wire-guided anti-armor launcher,

M47 Dragon SACLOS wire-guided anti-armor launcher,

NLAW Fire and Forget targeting or 'dumb fire' anti-armor launcher.

(I feel like I'm forgetting something here...)

On the vehicle front, we've found the following vehicles to be working.

HMMWV with TOW launcher(seems to be working perfectly),

HMMWV CROWS with Mk19(seems to be working acceptably),

HMMWV CROWS with M2(M2 does not seem to be functioning, other functions are acceptable),

MLRS tracked artillery system(seems to be working perfectly),

Stryker MGS(seems to be working perfectly),

LAV-25(seems to be working perfectly),

M1A1 and M1A2 TUSK Main Battle Tanks(seems to be working perfectly)

T-90 Main Battle Tank(seems to be working perfectly)

Some of the BTR-type vehicles came in as well, but they may be suffering issues.

Some of the Bradley variants came in as well, but may be suffering issues.

On the aircraft front, it was rather hilarious.

A-10,

KA-52,

SU-39,

AV-8 Harrier,

MH-60 Knighthawk,

AW-159 Wildcat(Let's just call it a Lynx and call it a day),

SU-34,

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Needless to say, some(most?) of these vehicles are wildly unbalanced for our type of gameplay, but we'll give them all a fair shake in stage one testing. We're fairly certain that the individual weapons will make it in - yes, even the launchers. We definitely need an anti-armor solution available to players, and some guided ordinance would definitely knock the Mi-17 down a few pegs. Some may make the argument that anti-armor assets aren't required at The Shack, but remember that Taviana 2.1 may bring us the BRDM-2, which will almost certainly require greater levels of firepower to bring down than we currently employ.

So, what do you think? We're always open to feedback, and would love some on this topic.

We seem to be suffering from some severe lag, to the point of a nonresponsive server. This is most likely another DDoS attack, and is being looked into.

Oops, forgot to post an update!

Server is back up and running.

In other news, the first iterations of the SCAR series have successfully spawned in game, as have the first guided launchers of varied type. Vodnik operators beware!

Stage one testing is underway on all the new vehicles(by far the largest number of vehicles we've ever had in testing), and some stand-outs are the BTR-60, HMMWV with TOW, HMMWV CROWS with Mk.19, M270 MLRS, and MAYBE the AAV7.

There may be a place for some of the heavier assets as well. Testing will reveal if the addition of more satchel spawns and guided munitions will be sufficient to reasonably defeat these heavier assets, but they haven't been removed from consideration yet: FV510, LAV-25, M2A1 Bradley(nonfunctioning TOWs), M2A2 Bradley(nonfunctioning TOWs), Stryker MGS and the BMP-3(main and secondary gun are nonfunctioning, only barrel-launched missiles work).

The extreme end of the vehicles we've been able to add have almost - but not quite - been dismissed out of hand. These are so heavily armored and so unbalanced that we would have to make attack helicopters a regular spawn to see them reliably defeated. With that being said, we will still do the testing stages to make absolutely certain they won't work, and keep you folks informed. Examples of this class include the M1A1, M1A2 TUSK, and T-90.

It's with a heavy heart that I say that I don't think there will be a place for any of the air assets successfully brought in. All of these include radar, and the memory of what armed air assets with radar can do to player bases remains fresh in our memory. Examples of this class include the Mi-8 TV3, Mi-171SH, AH-11 Wildcat, UH-1Y Venom, AH-1Z Viper, Ka-52, SU-34, SU-39, A-10, and AV8 Harrier. I will note that I have retained an AH-11 Wildcat as an admin transport - it would be incredibly helpful to have a spare heli class that is admin-only so that I may set it to be able to lift any vehicle for spawn management purposes and aircraft cleanup purposes. I know in the first post of this thread I talk about how the disdain I felt when I saw admin-only helicopters, and I want the players here to know that this aircraft is not for admin gaming operations, but rather for maintenance. It seems reasonable to me, but if this seems unfair to the playerbase, I'll certainly reverse my decision.

New players looking at this thread: You may be wondering if this is an rMod server, with all the vehicles we are talking about. I want to be clear that this is NOT an rMod server, and that you do not need to install anything other than the latest Taviana.com map and DayZ to enjoy The Shack.

Welp, looks like a quick update went a bit longer than expected again. As always, feedback on developments is welcome and encouraged, and I hope to see you all online!

i like the sounds of all the new guns, but glad to hear you took out most of the OP vehics. just seems they strayed way too far away from dayz. though i do feel the same about the launchers too. personally with those and all vehics with the TOWs and launchers, do we really need those???? it all just seems way too OP and just not dayz anymore. guns yes, anthing that has launchers is a no from me. still be playing though and look forward to seeing you guys in game.