silencedelta

Would love to play but

I have an issue with this darkness... it should not be pitch black ... at all it makes it impossible for people who can only play the game at night and have limited time due to having to work. I am missing something or this is almost in playable at night.... oh and the 1.71 update is problematic and i am rolling back.

also i have 1.60 but people have 1.60 bunch of numbers whats the difference...

About the darkness, you could always play on servers that are located where it is day time.

About the darkness' date=' you could always play on servers that are located where it is day time.

[/quote']

This is true, but it kinda defeats the whole object!

It's been said a thousand times but the op is right, the night is too dark for the size of the landmass, you go from open expanse sandbox to trapped in a pitch black closet.

Just watching the UK/EU servers empty last night confirms it, is it hardly any surprise that the US (GMT+9 etc) servers take a battering after 9 PM...i don't think so!

I swear I have read this thread before. Like a 1000 times.

It is an ARMA 2 issue not the mods, and why should it not be as dark as it is? In real life it is this dark. The game is not here to hold your hand, you either have to toughen up or play on a daytime server.

I swear I have read this thread before. Like a 1000 times.

It is an ARMA 2 issue not the mods' date=' and why should it not be as dark as it is? In real life it is this dark. The game is not here to hold your hand, you either have to toughen up or play on a daytime server.

[/quote']

There is nothing tough about running around in the pitchblack, it's moronic, and if it's really that dark where you live, you either need to have your eyes tested or get out of the cave!

About the darkness' date=' you could always play on servers that are located where it is day time.

[/quote']

It's been said a thousand times but the op is right, the night is too dark for the size of the landmass, you go from open expanse sandbox to trapped in a pitch black closet.

Just watching the UK/EU servers empty last night confirms it, is it hardly any surprise that the US (GMT+9 etc) servers take a battering after 9 PM...i don't think so!

No the OP is not right. The OP has just not bothered to read up on gameplay guides and figure out how to deal with it.

I just started playing a couple days ago and my night play is already getting easier to handle and in a way alot more interesting than dayplay.

The first thing you should do is set your gamma and brightness to the highest setting.

There is lots of info on nightplay in this forum. The energy spent on complaining might be better spent reading up on night time strategy.

Look here for starts: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=58

and here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11995

Have fun and good luck.

The first thing you should do is set your gamma and brightness to the highest setting.

"The first thing you should do is, since the game is pitch black at night, make it not pitch black at night manually. Obviously this is the clear solution and it's a stupid idea for the modmaker to make the game not pitch black at night."

Not every night time is pitch black - there are nights where the moon is out. Like others have said, search for a server that is still in daytime. Or use flares :)

The darkness being so dark is arma 2 not the mod like someone said arma should have added a little more light even in citys and towns its pretty dark now with arma 3 they have made it a lot easier to play at night ( i know we have a long time still to wait for arma 3 and even for DayZ to be on arma 3) but if you dont like to play at night play on a server thats in the day there is nothing wrong with that but if you have a crap ton of flairs good to a night time server (They have a lot less players mostly) and raid towns and stuff thats what I do raid small towns in day light and raid big towns at night also if you can get really lucky you can find NVG ( Night Vision Goggles) also its a good idea to set a base up at night so people cant see you

lol @ the guy who says it is this dark in real life, yeah if you live in the vastness of space

the bunch of numbers means its a beta server, and in 1.7.1 you now start with a flashlight in your backpack, just double click on it and it should let you loot it

My first experience with DayZ was at night and it was just unplayable. I tried to follow a road with flares but I ran out and I quickly discovered there was nothing I could do. In my second attempt I fell into the water and I couldn't find the shore again.

The suggestion of changing game settings to deal with it may be useful but it doesn't solve the issue. Either the mod is intended to be unplayable at night with starter equipment or it is intended to be playable at night, in which case, it should be playable with normal game settings. Also, the results of increasing gamma and brightness is graphics card related. In my game, I still can't make out any silhouettes at max.

About realism, I honestly don't know but I imagine that, without any man-made light sources around, it would be too dark to properly navigate in the wilderness. Sometimes there needs to be a compromise between realism and playability though, joining distant servers with higher latency doesn't seem like the intended game experience.

Sometimes there needs to be a compromise between realism and playability though.

Exactly, people harp on about realism all the time yet we have tents to retain your gear in after death and rotting walking corpses that can run faster than Usain Bolt.

you are playing on a simulation engine not a game engine where you have studio lights to backlight the sky

please try not to confuse the mod and the game engine which was designed for realism rather than game play. for that you go to battlefield cod or l4d, they make it so you don't have to complain about the basics, they have adjusted them for your gameplay.

the mod has nothing to do with the lighting in this game and although they might be able to adjust it, it would also effect the core game which is going to be negatively effected by it.

[/quote']

No the OP is not right. The OP has just not bothered to read up on gameplay guides and figure out how to deal with it.

I lol'ed at your ignorance.

although they might be able to adjust it' date=' it would also effect the core game which is going to be negatively effected by it.

[/quote']

Is that so? Could you please tell me hoe it would be 'negatively effected by it.'?

you are playing on a simulation engine not a game engine where you have studio lights to backlight the sky

please try not to confuse the mod and the game engine which was designed for realism rather than game play. for that you go to battlefield cod or l4d' date=' they make it so you don't have to complain about the basics, they have adjusted them for your gameplay.

the mod has nothing to do with the lighting in this game and although they might be able to adjust it, it would also effect the core game which is going to be negatively effected by it.

[/quote']

More harping on about 'realism', surely if it were so realistic your natural night vision would improve things after x amount of time in the darkness rather than look as if Chernarus was situated inside a blackhole.

Right, I keep forgetting how it's so realistic that you can stuff a main rotor assembly from a freaking helicopter into a backpack. While on the other hand, a small pistol takes up half of the same pack. (Seems legit.) Or that morphine is a realistic, instantaneous and permanent cure for broken legs.

When considering all that, and a thousand other things in this game which are so very much an accurate simulation of real life, it makes complete sense that it is so utterly dark at night time. And that your pupils don't dilate over time to accommodate more light. And you have no tactile feedback of your environment, because in real life no one relies on their arms and hands to feel their way around. No, in real life you sort of float around and occasionally wonder if you might have ran into something, but can't tell because it's dark and surely you have no other way to tell if you're mindlessly walking into a bush or a wall.

Simulation engine, indeed. We shouldn't consider any argument if it isn't based in absolute reality, as that is truly what this game is about. Oh, and zombies. There's also that.

Right' date=' I keep forgetting how it's so realistic that you can stuff a main rotor assembly from a freaking helicopter into a backpack. While on the other hand, a small pistol takes up half of the same pack. (Seems legit.) Or that morphine is a realistic, instantaneous and permanent cure for broken legs.

When considering all that, and a thousand other things in this [b']game which are so very much an accurate simulation of real life, it makes complete sense that it is so utterly dark at night time. And that your pupils don't dilate over time to accommodate more light. And you have no tactile feedback of your environment, because in real life no one relies on their arms and hands to feel their way around. No, in real life you sort of float around and occasionally wonder if you might have ran into something, but can't tell because it's dark and surely you have no other way to tell if you're mindlessly walking into a bush or a wall.

Simulation engine, indeed. We shouldn't consider any argument if it isn't based it absolute reality, as that is truly what this game is about. Oh, and zombies. There's also that.

haha totally agree mate, the realism argument only seems valid when people want it to be.

What do you mean it isn't playable? I was under the impression that everyone spawns with a torch (flashlight) now.

Pitch black is also a solution to cheating through gamma and brightness correction.

I've got 2 solutions.

1) Leave it as it is, making night play total pain for lonewolfing, though it's fun to play in group, throw 5-8 flares while your team scavenges whole town and moves on.

2) Totally lock the gamma and brightness settings to the default (1.0 and 1.0), enlighten the night just a bit.

True, there are aspects that are unrealistic.

The bottom line is lots of people do play at night. Somehow they deal with it and yet there are those who claim this is unreasonable or even impossible.

Could it be that some players are just too lazy and childish to figure it out?

Just stick with it, you'll get used to it.