Sign in to follow this  
Tomeusz

DayZ is Crysis or Planetside 2 at requirements?

Hi!

Just wondering how you people can play and enjoy this game. Are you all have i7, 8gb RAM and GTX 680? Because i have decent PC and this game works twice worse than Crysis or PC killing planetside 2 during 100vs1000 battle. Seriously. Whats wrong with this arma 2 code? At woods full of shadows and trees i have 30-50 fps and during beeing at ghost town at some pixelized building(not on open field) fraps showing me 20 fps what makes me unable to protect my self and aim. Iam watching streamers like franky and he heasnt any OP PC, but he is able to stream and play on high at this game and iam getting this 20fps even on normal or low at 1280x1024 on PiiX4 3,1 GHz, HD 6870, 4gb 1600MHz ram. WTH is going on with this game?

I tried tweaks like unlocking 4 cores for it game, changing some stuff at notepad and nothing gives effect.

How make this old and ugly game work properly on gear which runs most of newest titles on high at 1280x1024?

Easiest thing to do is load up the armory in ArmA 2:OA and mess around with the GUI video settings with no risk of getting killed.

I'm guessing most people find settings that work, by trial and error.

This game works like total crap. At some village near major city fraps shows me sometimes 19 fps at low/med, lol, WTF? This crap is unplayable on decent pcs, not because of bullcrap which Rocket says about zombies optimization, but because its 1 core usage game. Arma 2 also worked like crap at cities without zombies and that was reason i didnt played it. Hoestly dk how you do that. You all have i7 cpus or you play at 15-15 fps which is unplayable at my opinion(or not enjoyable).

Already tried all kind of tweaks, lowered all settings and this game works the SAME on ultra andon low for me which proves my point.

Arma 2 is also heavily reliant on your hard drive so that could be the bottleneck. You could try the Ramdisk tweak. Just Google "Dayz Ramdisk" and there's a video tutorial on how to set it up.

It has to do with a couple of things. this game works best on a Win XP 32 bit edition, thats the environment the original game was build on en it has very poor optimisation for newer operating systems, even with Win 7, your best bet would be with a 32 bit version.

Then this game works very differenty to other games, most files are being streamed of your harddrive while you play, so that where the hickups and stutters ingame come from, so running this game of a fast SSD really helps with the stutter and short freezes but it wont help with the minimum FPS you get in cities, This has to do with the fact this game was designed to use the CPU and not the GPU to do the hard work so thats why you even get low fps with lets say a Gtx680.

I have spend quite some time testing this out on my system and found out the load on the GPU in cities drops to 10 -15%. (sometimes the GPU clocks down to 2d speeds if you dont have power management set to best performance in Nvidia panel). so that means the GPU isnt getting any data from the CPU, or atleast not fast enough so it just sits there... waiting for data :).

So overclocking the shit out your CPU is a good way to go you might think?. yes and no.. yes it does help quite a bit if your in the woods, on stock CPU speeds i averaged 85 in the woods and when overclocked a whopping 105 fps. but in the cities i got an extra 3 frames and averaged 34 instead of 31. and the load on the CPU stays arround 40% for me in every situation, and that also includes the testing i did on stock speeds, there the usage was also arround 40%.

After all the things ive tried and exiperimented with i just gave up, everybody is affected by this and its just how this engine works i guess, its outdated so find a wat to live with it to have low fps in cities, spend more time up north anyway so its not that bad :).

Specs:

i7 960 @ 4.2 ghz

Corsair 18 GB DDR3 1600

GTX 580 @ 900 - 2100

10GB Ram Disk virtual drive that holds all of my Arma 2 and Dayz folders.

Edited by jerome16v