SystemFailure

Dynamic water level

As simple as it sounds. Drought will decrease water level in ponds/lakes and even maybe give access to underwater caves/buildings. Rain should increase water level in ponds/lakes and sometimes cause floods in the nearby area.

good point, but how many hidden caves do you expect to find in one map plus with the water overflowing it might be used to grief by hackers ? with the slow-ass swimming animation you do not want to cross any overflowed ponds in elektro or anywhere with alot of fighting going on

Well say it doesn't have to flood an are maybe just have a lot of standing water in the are so that footsteps are louder and say it is harder to sneak. But at the same time if it is raining hard then the sound of your foot steps could be harder to hear.

But at the same time if it is raining hard then the sound of your foot steps could be harder to hear.

This is already implemented.

This is already implemented.

Really? I've never really noticed a difference when it is raining and when it isn't, I can hear them just the same.

Second post is just pointless. You don't design a game around what if hackers use it to grief. Hacking isn't SUPPOSED to happen. They already ruin the PRESENT game, don't let them ruin the POTENTIAL game.

Otherwise, speed up the swimming. E.g. use your pack as a raft. Arma 3 implements underwater swimming. But really... if elektro is flooded. Maybe you should think twice about swimming through it, hmm?

ALSO... more enterable buildings and a larger map will mean more spread out scavenging and will take some of the heat out of the major choke points.

Really? I've never really noticed a difference when it is raining and when it isn't, I can hear them just the same.

When it's raining, it's harder for zombies and other players to hear your movements.

While it does sound interesting, it's just a completely unnecessary detraction from core gameplay elements. Not to mention the insanely complicated code/physics implications involved.

While it does sound interesting, it's just a completely unnecessary detraction from core gameplay elements. Not to mention the insanely complicated code/physics implications involved.

Do you know that? If the engine works like most others, 'water' is basic geometry given a special texture. The height of that geometry can be altered easily in the map editor. Things like floating debris may well be implemented in the same way boats are. Unless I'm mistaken, that's about as complicated as it gets.

The only major problem is flowing water. There are no rivers or streams in Chernarus... which sucks, and requires some fugly geometry with animated textures to represent using polygons.

Edited by mikemhz

That would be cool if a certain rain storm happens , then certain sections of the map is known to have flash floods.

The flooded areas would stay flooded for X number of hours then reseed.

With the Cave idea,

A Cave would be a great way to test the Instancing for future Base Building.

If Rocket is able to get a cave and test for bugs with the new attached instance, it would give him real in game data from the numbers of players who would be constantly wanting to use it and explore.

Plus, if they add in where the players must find away to remove rocks that block the way into the cave, this could be used also to test off the ideas of blocking off sections by events like the Water level or Rock slide.

Again these could be controlled by the weather system for Water Level and the Cave could have an exit that send you into a river so if it ever was collapsed/entrance (by nature or by player) there is a way for a player to escape the cave if they spawn into the game from inside.

Do you know that? If the engine works like most others, 'water' is basic geometry given a special texture. The height of that geometry can be altered easily in the map editor. Things like floating debris may well be implemented in the same way boats are. Unless I'm mistaken, that's about as complicated as it gets.

The only major problem is flowing water. There are no rivers or streams in Chernarus... which sucks, and requires some fugly geometry with animated textures to represent using polygons.

Basic water, yes.

Dynamic water levels dependent on a dynamic weather system (rainfall) seems like another matter entirely.

I noticed, there is no flowing water in ARMA II OA. so maybe they can implement it in SA, because ARMA III will definetely have it. Then it will be easier to port it to DayZ SA. This feature isnt necessary, but having ability to take a s**t isnt necessary either. )