privatewolf

The issue regarding this mod, the people who bought the game for DayZ

Traders would take away the hunting for equipment' date=' and eventually everyone would be running around with the best gear.

[/quote']

I don't know if I've heard of this trader idea?

Are you opposed to players trading with each other or?

Septus, I've seen some people suggesting traders as in NPCs.

@Tsukasasun

I believe the vanilla AI is also horrible, but zeus_AI is one hell of a beast.. anyway objectives, quests, jobs.. whatever you call them I disagree with them since it doesn't seem to fit this type of sandbox game. Why? I expect that every objective on the map would have at least not one but two snipers aiming at it while players are looting/checking it out.. It's just a matter of principle that those things doesn't fit ArmA 2. Trying to find a helicopter is already liek a personal objective, and finding good weapons/skins/food/medical supplies is already like a objective reward for it

The people saying that are most likely people without friends. I never get bored when I have friends around.

It still needs more IMO. As it is' date=' once you've equipped there's not much more to Loot for than Drinks. Even Ammo looting can be avoided if one plays a certain way. In short, the current End Game is to simply hunt other Players because that becomes the last challenge available, not due to surviving.

[/quote']

there is not endgame in sandbox games WHY... WHY CAN'T YOU GET THAT. SHIT

I sat in an ArmA II game one time for an hour (more or less) waiting for my team to get ready to take the objective. I love moments like that. :D

Absolutely second that and know where you are coming from.

I love the little nuances in the game when you almost forget you're playing it. You fidget whilst sat watching the sun set over a towering mountain of pines whilst a campfire crackles in the background. Your team mates busy themselves with arming up and some are prepping vehicles.

You suddenly snap out and realise you actually considered this a "lovely evening" and actually felt a swell of happiness.

Immersion doesn't even come close as a description.

Of course this game should have objectives in it. In fact it already does. People have different objectives that range from getting a helicopter or simply trying to make it to a power plane trying to meet up with friends.

I think there should be more options to create your own objectives. Allow people to clear a small area in a town and take control of it. Then have people create a small resource base in the area so they can have a sort of home base. If they want to keep it they need to defend it form zombies and players trying to take it back.

Give people more options in the game and they will make their own objectives.

But that evolves naturally through the very dynamic of a sandbox.

It doesn't need a structure.

Otherwise it avoids the point.

its sad how resistant some of the people in the community are towards change/adding content to the mod.

OP, please stop making such stupid generalizations.

I bought ARMA 2 just for this and I'm not one bit what you described, neither are the other people whom I play with who bought it just for this.

I used to play COD (before it went downhill after MW1) and I spent lots of hours in BF3.

I played L4D as well, but I DID NOT expect this to be a fast paced game.

I even wish the server I go to most often was 1st person only (because 3rd person is cheap as hell).

I don't even know how people would get bored with this quickly, there's so much to do!

- Finding a secure location for a camp

- Finding and patching up vehicles

- Finding NVGs (still haven't found any in >70 hours :-/ )

- Stalking people and taunting them over direct chat

- Running through cherno and crying out "friendly" whenever I see someone and actually surviving that way

- etc etc etc

The problem is not people buying ARMA 2 for DayZ, the problem is people being stupid as fuck AND youtube videos displaying the game for something it simply is not.

Arma 2 is an amazing game, definitely gonna purchase 3.

That being said, although it's a mili-sim and goes for realism, it is far from an actual realistic military experience.

It's fun though, real fun!

its sad how resistant some of the people in the community are towards change/adding content to the mod.

It's a sandbox mod.

It's a sandbox mod.

Doesn't mean you can change/add content to it.

This sandbox doesn't have enough options really. You can make a empty area of land a sandboz but you have to fill it with enough things to make it a enjoyable. So far Day Z has that but it could simply be more. Right now you can't do what I say due to not having the ability to actually control an area or zombies not coming from the woods.

Some of those people want objectives to flow naturally with the world. Generalizing everyone who brought the game for Arma 2 or simply make suggestions isn't good and it is rather insulting. For that reason not many will take you seriously.

people often use the excuse that something being a sandbox has unlimited possibilities and doesn't need any content. they often forget, without that tonka truck earth mover, or the shovels and buckets, you'll get pretty bored in that sandbox rather fast.

the purpose of a sandbox is to give people tools and let them enjoy experiment and enjoy them. not tell them that there is pleanty of sand and that they don't need anything else

This sandbox doesn't have enough options really. You can make a empty area of land a sandboz but you have to fill it with enough things to make it a enjoyable. So far Day Z has that but it could simply be more. Right now you can't do what I say due to not having the ability to actually control an area or zombies not coming from the woods.

Some of those people want objectives to flow naturally with the world. Generalizing everyone who brought the game for Arma 2 or simply make suggestions isn't good and it is rather insulting. For that reason not many will take you seriously.

I agree. But I trust those additions will be added eventually.

Entrenchment tools, base camp options, etc.

I most certainly agree that I'd like to see these in game and would be excited to experience them.

But if we start scaffolding gameplay, it becomes increasingly linear and dilutes that initial feeling of, "My God...the potential!"

Cant we have more sand and some extra bucket&showel in our sandbox? Why cant you get that? Is it really that appealing to act like some Arma2 hipster?

Cant we have more sand and some extra bucket&showel in our sandbox? Why cant you get that? Is it really that appealing to act like some Arma2 hipster?

You have plenty of sand and dozens if not hundreds of buckets to play with in ArmA II.

It just so happens this mod is a one man show and you people are never happy with what you get. It's a development process that has to be waited on, you are in the middle of the growth cycle.

It's fine though, Rocket isn't a bitch so he'll just keep chugging.

As for sandbox? Just some stuff my clan has done (almost all COOP):

Created a player driven persistent campaign in Chernarus where we started as a small group of rebels fighting to free our country from a Russian puppet regime.

I personally created a 12 mission coop campaign (each mission between 1 and 4 hours long) on Zargabad featuring USMC, British Army, KSK fighting an insurgency complete with storyline and each mission was different following along the storyline.

I also created a sandbox style large scale mission for a British infantry squad on Hellskitchen Sangin map where there were 12 missions complete with supports that could be tackled in any order and in any fashion the squad wanted to.

Done a ton more stuff for COOP. The sandbox is bigger than most new ArmA II players have any idea exists. The limit to the sandbox is your own creativity and that's it.

I got hooked on ARMA by the RockPaperShotgun Steam group and have played the free demo on a few servers for a while. I've been eyeing DayZ and bought it not too long ago. It was the final push to get me to buy the full game. I already loved ARMA but DayZ is the icing on the cake. I feel that if you can't wait upwards of an hour just to clear out a small village or wait for a real long time coordinating with mates, then you shouldn't be playing this game. I find it far more engaging than CoD or BF and don't think they should change a thing :)

You have plenty of sand and dozens if not hundreds of buckets to play with in ArmA II.

thats all well and good, but your talking about the wrong game. we are discussing dayz not vanilla arma 2

thats all well and good' date=' but your talking about the wrong game. we are discussing dayz not vanilla arma 2

[/quote']

Clearly you didn't read the third sentence in my post.

Nor do you understand the second.

read and understood both, doesn't change the fact that your giving sandbox examples that arn't available to dayz.

perhaps you don't understand the discussion in the thread

It just so happens this mod is a one man show and you people are never happy with what you get. It's a development process that has to be waited on' date=' you are in the middle of the growth cycle.

It's fine though, Rocket isn't a bitch so he'll just keep chugging.

[/quote']

That is precisely why people keep mentioning stuff so that some of it might be added to the game later although it should go to suggestion section ofc.

Hardly anybody expect this to happen over night so you might as well ease on wise talking such as "and you people are never happy with what you get". It really doest not make you look smarter.