MrVoase (DayZ)

[Huey UH-1H] Complete Helicopter Guide, All you need to know, Tips and tricks

its better to just leave the engine running when landing into area with possible hostile activity, you can take off instantly when doing so :D

i love how oyu say the letter "h"... ..."Hayche" :3 haha nothing bad :) but that aside, THANKS! loved the vid! :D now, lets go see if i cant do a barrel toll ;)

Great little tutorial mate. A couple of things I was unaware of, will try them next time I fly a Huey.

Jim I was just showing how to take off in general, in a real situation with a squad, you wouldn't even land, you'de let them out the heli at 2-4 altitude then fly off until they're done doing what ever they're doing :)

Also thanks everyone else for the encouraging words, just started making videos properly and hopefully I'll make them regular :)

i love how oyu say the letter "h"... ..."Hayche"

What? How do you say the letter H? "Huh"?

• Like 1

Jim I was just showing how to take off in general, in a real situation with a squad, you wouldn't even land, you'de let them out the heli at 2-4 altitude then fly off until they're done doing what ever they're doing :)

Also thanks everyone else for the encouraging words, just started making videos properly and hopefully I'll make them regular :)

what if you're alone and you spot a helicrash site

what if you're alone and you spot a helicrash site

Leaving your heli at any point would be a silly move, especially considering heli crash sites spawn in the centre of the map, so it's a big risk.

EDIT: Also the fact that if the engine is on, and someone jumps in the heli they can take off with it a lot faster than if they had to start it up, you'll also not be able to differentiate whether it's being flown or the engine is just running, just my 2 cents but what ever works best for you

Edited by MrVoase

Ok I'm off for the night, if anyone want's me to make a specific guide in relation to DayZ, or even Arma 2:OA, let me know and I'll reply in the morning, good night.

I have noticed that using auto hover to stop forward momentum takes awhile. Would it not be faster to just do a back flip to lose your momentum then engage auto hover once most of your speed is gone to begin your decent? Also what is the best way to do a speed landing? By this I mean coming in at a low altitude and setting it down with minimal damage.

I have noticed that using auto hover to stop forward momentum takes awhile. Would it not be faster to just do a back flip to lose your momentum then engage auto hover once most of your speed is gone to begin your decent? Also what is the best way to do a speed landing? By this I mean coming in at a low altitude and setting it down with minimal damage.

I will only ever use auto hover to stop moving if it's safe, if I need to stop fast I'll use the other tactic of engaging it then quickly disengaging it and pushing the nose down, this will take you to 40-50 MPH almost instantly and is actually faster and safer than backflipping :)

Also when it comes to emergency landings unfortunatly the Arma Engine isn't great for it, but you can do the above method at anything above 75 feet and that will stop you instantly and you can decend, may do a second video on tips etc =]

Oh and also, if you need to get down that fast, don't bother doing a double around your landing point, just descend before you reach it and land straight up, but this is dangerous.

Edited by MrVoase

SHIT MZLTV I'M FROM ESSEX TOO

Upminster/Romford myself buddy!

• Like 1

should never use auto hover or fly above 30 altitude at any time

That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard, I'm sorry but at 30 altitude you could get taken out by a fucking pistol, let alone an smg or assault rifle, seriously.

That's the dumbest statement I've ever heard, I'm sorry but at 30 altitude you could get taken out by a fucking pistol, let alone an smg or assault rifle, seriously.

Right, when flying 200+ speed at 10-20 alt which is what I fly, it is extremely hard to hit you unless you are flying right at someone, and my chopper never stays still, always waxing and waning. At 400 alt, it is extremely easy for a half decent sniper to shoot you since you seem to be going much slower.

Right, when flying 200+ speed at 10-20 alt which is what I fly, it is extremely hard to hit you unless you are flying right at someone, and my chopper never stays still, always waxing and waning. At 400 alt, it is extremely easy for a half decent sniper to shoot you since you seem to be going much slower.

A half decent sniper would have an easier time shooting you when you're low, regardless of speed, because the lower you are the less bullet travel time and/or bullet drop, also at 10-20 altitude you're going to be "waxing and waning" good luck to your gunners getting a hit off on anything, if you've ever been in a competitive Arma 2 squad competeing in mission files, you'de understand, on DayZ you don't get the opportunity to get a ton of pilot time compared to Arma missions.

I will only ever use auto hover to stop moving if it's safe, if I need to stop fast I'll use the other tactic of engaging it then quickly disengaging it and pushing the nose down, this will take you to 40-50 MPH almost instantly and is actually faster and safer than backflipping :)

That is good advise. I will try that out later on. I am sure the passengers will enjoy that a lot more then me doing a back flip lol. Also can you do a video on the best ways to fly and land in first person? Only reason I ask is because I play on a server where 3rd person is turned off and I find it hard to land fast and safe while in first person.

Edited by Zodiac13

I find it hard to land fast and safe while in first person.

this, it's impossible for me to see whether there are tree's or stuff below me,

and i'd hate if i had to use 3rd person.

also, the helicopter randomly starts turning, spinning and drifting in random directions once i reduce speed and height,

landing in a specific spot is a nightmare for me -.-

any chance you could do a basic chopper crash course some time?

@R3con thanks for that one too, i always fail at the burning speed part though :(

Edited by Azrail

A half decent sniper would have an easier time shooting you when you're low, regardless of speed, because the lower you are the less bullet travel time and/or bullet drop, also at 10-20 altitude you're going to be "waxing and waning" good luck to your gunners getting a hit off on anything, if you've ever been in a competitive Arma 2 squad competeing in mission files, you'de understand, on DayZ you don't get the opportunity to get a ton of pilot time compared to Arma missions.

Ive been pilot in realism unit for almost 7 months, I have never gotten reports that my gunners cannot properly engage threats, nor have I ever used motions like doing barrel rolls and auto hover. I'd challenge you to a piloting contest on normal arma any day

this, it's impossible for me to see whether there are tree's or stuff below me,

and i'd hate if i had to use 3rd person.

also, the helicopter randomly starts turning, spinning and drifting in random directions once i reduce speed and height,

landing in a specific spot is a nightmare for me -.-

any chance you could do a basic chopper crash course some time?

I could if you have skype

That is good advise. I will try that out later on. I am sure the passengers will enjoy that a lot more then me doing a back flip lol. Also can you do a video on the best ways to fly and land in first person? Only reason I ask is because I play on a server where 3rd person is turned off and I find it hard to land fast and safe while in first person.

It doesn't need a video, all you need to do is enable shadows, when the shadow of the heli disappears as you're going down, it means that you're about to hit the ground :)