The many many ideas for DayZ SA

dayzideas.txt Here is a big list of ideas that I've collected over the time I've been playing DayZ, and with the announcement of the full version being released soon I thought I'd get them out for the devs to see before they make the game. All of these are my ideas, if something similar or the exact same idea has been posted before it's purely coincidence as this is my first time on the Suggestions section. Enough of my rambling, to the ideas!

Obvious fixes:

These are things I'm sure are already being worked on, and if not, they should be.

-Terrible hit detection in both PvE and PvP (ie Zombies will hit you from 3-4 feet away or hit you through objects)

-Zombies see/ detect through (most) objects/ walls

-Zombies walk through walls/objects

-Melee weapons aren't actually melee weapons but technically guns (not sure if this can be fixed)

-Players are easily susceptible to breaking their bones / dying right away (ie gates opening too fast and slamming you against the wall breaking your bones/ going inside a tent that is on a slant)

-Outhouses are impossible to retrieve items from and when you close the door with you inside your bones might break and you almost die

-Players need to be given the ability to push through other players and zombies

-Items will sometimes take too long to spawn in towns and cities when a server restarts, it should be instant

-Gathering wood from trees using a hatchet is extremely glitchy and almost never works

-Not all items have their own unique skin when placed on the floor

-Add more "hitboxes" around tents / allow them to be easier to open when placed inside trees

Zombies:

I feel that zombies in DayZ are overall way too relentless and intelligent. They need a massive intelligence nerf that will allow players to escape them and avoid them easier.

-Zombies will stop chasing you if you're more than 100m~ away from them

-Zombies will drown after a short amount of time during swimming

-Zombies will not walk around bodies of water / objects and instead go "straight through" them (take the long way)

-Zombies cannot run as fast as you and cannot hit you while you're running

-Zombies cannot open doors. Seriously. Next they will be using guns. It least make them kick the door open instead of casually opening it. Also if they can open doors in buildings why can't they open vehicle doors?

-Zombies will have unique reactions to pain instead of using sound files from normal civilians, or none at all (every time it happens I always think someone is near me and getting hurt)

Player:

-Swimming is extremely slow and unrealistic; if you swam like that in real life you would drown. Faster swimming is needed.

-Approaching land while swimming will make your character swim slow-mo, should be much faster

-New: Two types of broken bones; Minor and Serious (current). Minor will result from things like jumping from small distances ie 4m~ (and is more like tearing your muscles and not breaking a bone) and will result in a player "limping" if you try and walk however you can crouch walk fine if the damage was received from your legs. If your arms, weapons will be shaky and you'll need painkillers.

-Players, when the canteen is blinking red, are given the ability to bury their mouth into any water source, to hydrate them back to green, however it makes them sick instantly (antibiotics fixes it).

-Players able to jump down by roughly four meters without taking damage to their bones

-Players are able to bandage themselves or perform other simple actions such as drinking or eating inside vehicles (except the driver unless the vehicle is parked). When players are inside vehicles (such as back of a ural, back of a car) they can interact with each other such as perform blood transfusions.

-Players, when they black out will NOT fall out of their vehicle unless it doesn't have doors such as an ATV

-Fewer blackouts especially in combat

-Cannibalism? Not sure if I would even want to see this in DayZ but it's something to ponder. You would need a hunting knife, then you have to cut the person up and then cook their meat and eat it. All of these acts, from cutting the person up to the actual eating will give an insane reduce in humanity and if it reaches low enough you'll get a unique "cannibal" skin that is only obtained from eating people (hannibal lecter mask)

Food:

-Trees will have berries that you can pick off and eat. Easy source of food, however runs the chance of getting you sick.

Gun:

-Sniper scopes will flicker with light when pointed towards you if you're looking in it's direction during day time

Items:

-New: "pot" and "lid" "pot & lid" and "pot & lid (full)", all taking up one inventory space. Pot and Pot & lid can be filled with canned food and be placed on a fire to cook the canned food. This results in not being hungry for longer and increases blood count by double (400). Pot and lid are found separately however can be combined for a pot & lid to increase time it takes to cook the food, however just a pot will work fine. Can be used infinite times.

-New: tarp, will be used to cover your car, providing sufficient camouflage for your precious automobiles.

-GPS needs to be 10x more useful, it needs a zoom in/out option, and needs to be much more sophisticated, ie select a town you want to go to, it will show you the optimal route to it.

Buildings:

-Every building can be entered or has something around it

-New: Clothing Store, this is found in every town and city, and adds a whole new wardrobe of different colored hats and shits and pants that you can equip and it saves on your character. This is important to allow your friends to distinguish from each other during firefights or tense situations. These buildings will have rare clothes like scarfs and bandannas in assortments of colors and patterns. They offer no performance gain other than "swag".

Edited by Guest

Some pretty good ideas, I'm sure most (can't say which) are being addressed with the stand alone, I hope Dean and Devs get a chance to look at this list for a few idea sparks on those slow days.

Thanks for the input. I hope one of them gets to see this and forward it to the devs. I'd love to see pots / tarps / clothing store implemented specifically.

Here are some more ideas:

Vehicle:

-Ability to flip over an ATV

-Ability to flip over a motorbike

-Ability to place ATV's and motorbikes in the back of a ural / pickup truck etc.

-Spare tire on the back of a UAZ becomes a usable tire that can be taken off and used

-Bumps and mounds are glitched and sometimes completely flip over vehicles very easily, including buses.

-Fix "looking" around (Alt) when going down a steep hill.

-Ability to salvage parts from other cars. Drive by a car with nice windscreen glass or one working tire? Hop out and take it off for your own vehicle. Taking parts off takes twice as long than putting them on.

Player:

-Ability to tell if someone is a bandit or hero through camo or ghillie. The black mask on the ghillie is replaced with the bandit scarf thing and for hero it's a flannel print. For camo clothing, bandits have their bandit scarf on the head, and for hero, the shirt underneath the vest is flannel print.

Items:

-New: tire spike. Very rare, found in industrial buildings, take up two inventory spaces. Placed wherever you want and when a car drives directly over it, ruins the tire(s) it hit(s).

-New: tire spike strip. Extremely rare, found in military buildings only. Takes up six inventory slots. Spans six meters in diameter (or whatever the size of a road is), can cover an entire road. Ruins the tire(s) it hit(s).

-New: steering wheel club. Extremely rare, found in industrial buildings, takes up two inventory spaces. Spawns with Key that takes up one inventory slot in the tools section at the bottom. Used by entering a vehicle in the drivers seat, and mouse wheel scrolling for (Place steering wheel club). Either a) all keys can unlock all steering wheel clubs or B) all keys have a unique ID to that steering wheel club however the steering wheel club can be destroyed to balance it.

Also entering through door frames for whatever reason is almost impossible at times. Another thing, the crowbar needs more uses than just being a weapon.

I'm not surprised nobody is commenting on this thread, they probably see the wall of text and run >.<

what about the idea of being able to siphon fuel from vehicles with and empty jerry can and say a new extra needed item say some hose, obviously found in industrial/sheds????

• Like 1

what about the idea of being able to siphon fuel from vehicles with and empty jerry can and say a new extra needed item say some hose, obviously found in industrial/sheds????

That's a great idea actually.

me, i think when you create a character has a series of questions but not give you skills but gives you a starter kit or a radius of location, for example: what did your character in real life (A. Mechanic) = toolbox (B. nurse) = bandage or morphine (C.soldat) = army of clothing or a sleeping bag or camo netting. what do you think about that?

me, i think when you create a character has a series of questions but not give you skills but gives you a starter kit or a radius of location, for example: what did your character in real life (A. Mechanic) = toolbox (B. nurse) = bandage or morphine (C.soldat) = army of clothing or a sleeping bag or camo netting. what do you think about that?

Respectfully, no. Wait for a Fallout MMO. The top level skills in Dayz are patience and intuition, and that's something that you have to develop as a player.

Respectfully, no. Wait for a Fallout MMO. The top level skills in Dayz are patience and intuition, and that's something that you have to develop as a player.

I think you misunderstood what I meant to say I do not want to implement a system of skill, but rather a story or give a story your character or your character is a departure (eg in a series of question your character are you most urban or city, it will give different starting point as the answer but also a style of clothing and objects, they should change the question, but once the questions are finished your character will always respawn with a certain type of clothing and objects and surroundings.) Edited by seraphqc

I am bumping this thread, totally forgot about it. It didn't really see too much activity which is very disappointing considering how much time I've put into making this thread.

I'm not sure what exact engine the standalone is being created on, whether it's the arma 2 engine or the new one, however I think it's fair to say that the very stiff character movements is one of the most frusterating and unrealistic aspects of the game/ mod.

I would really appreciate if all of the character movement and actions are redone to add more control and realism. You should be able to look around and move while doing simple actions such as crouching or standing up; it's extremely unrealistic and frusterating when your character stands still just to crouch, and you can't aim or shoot while crouching or standing up.