cogwarrior666

Dayz single player

i play Dayz quite often, and my friends and i have survived through countless scenarios.

one day while playing dayz, i mentioned to my friends,

"i love Dayz, but sometimes i wish there was a more stable game-play option to it."

he said in turn,

"what you mean like a single player?"

i said,

"exactly!"

of course all of us know that playing Dayz as it is by yourself ins't as fun as you think it would be. but if just a few offline kinks were implemented it could be a very wholesome game-play experience.

this sparked up a big conversion of things that could be implemented in a single player style mode to be actually worth playing.

the first thing we decided would be worth the time would be a loose style of story line.

we said that it would be really cool if when you start up a game you wake up in a random house in the map, as the zombie apocalypse beings. a very hectic beginning to the game would open the player mind for what there is to come. with NPC players running around killing each other, to army patrols running through cities suppressing, or falling to the zombie hordes.

one thing we decided on was a story line for each city, or area. so say, in Chern, the government or groups of survivors (all being NPCs by the way) would suppress the zombie invasion and being to make an outpost out of the city buildings. while, at the same time, in elektro the zombies have killed most to all of the survivors and overrun the army stationed there, while all of the NPC's joined they're ranks to make a very dangerous place to be. while, all at the same time, Berizino has been carpet bombed by the army in an attempt to suppress the zombie invasion that is happening there.

ill go into more detail about the area wide story line aspect of things. in each city there would be five types of npcs.

1) friendly survivors- npcs that are non-hostile to you or anyone not shooting at them. they're main objective would be to find other non-hostiles, group up, and create a defensible outpost from the infected. whether they survive or not would be random, depending on the amount of zombies. these groups would not move around as much as any other npc players, especially after creating an outpost.

2)less friendly survivors- these outposts of people would be the same as the first, except that they're outpost came under attack by the hostile group of survivors, and would likely shoot at you if you approach they're outpost.

3) non friendly survivors- npcs that are hostile to you or anyone they see that is non-hostile. they pair with each-other to wreak mayhem and basically create a stir-up for the outposts of friendly survivors around the cities. i imagine these groups of people to be very active. moving around town alot and even from city to city, instead of creating an outpost and sitting still.

4) (very friendly unless attacked) army personnel- npcs that exist for the sole purpose of fighting zombies, hostile survivors, and the biotech suppression soldiers. they wouldn't just fight zombies however, what i imagine is groups of army personnel making runs into the city for you and other non-hostile survivors, and taking them back to a very defensible, but not impenetrable, army base somewhere outside of the city.

5) extremely hostile "biotech" military personnel- these guys would be the bosses of single player, with very hi tech gear, they would walk through the city with one purpose, to kill everything. human and zombie alike, and targeting army bases. the reason for this being, every story line needs a beginning. this would be the beginning.

a government biotech corporation would have made the virus, then it was released by accident. so the company sends out bio-hazard units to suppress the virus and anyone that could be infected. these npcs could not only be bosses for single player, but a high value target for the actual player, if he/she is looking for some good gear. also these npcs would be the natural enemies of the army personnel, with snipers, demo-men, and anything else you could think of to suppress the army bases. the reason for this is because you don't want to make a place to content for the player to stay. outposts cant be to strong, and bases cant be to impenetrable.

I believe that all of these character combating each-other would create unforgettable moment like this one.

imagine if you are a lone survivor, and you are in an upstairs room of a building. you hear gunshots outside, and in lou of the traditional,

"get down and hide for a few minutes."

you look out the window. you see a barricaded building of non-hostile survivors, taking oncoming fire from a group of hostile survivors. all the firing attracts a nearby group of biotech soldiers, and a group of army personnel. and a heap of zombies. soon there is a huge firefight in the middle of the street. the biotech's on one side, the army on the other, and survivors right in the middle, zombies everywhere, and people are dropping like flies. in my eyes that is the perfect scene to describe a zombie apocalypse.

one thing we decided would need to be implemented to make the single player mode truly satisfying, would be an actual end to the game. this would be extremely long term but eventually a possibility. the way this would be possible would be by limiting the actual number of npcs in game to a certain number. for example, if you limit the worlds number of npcs to 10,000 survivors, army personnel, biotech unit, and zombies. what would happen is in the beginning, there would be 1000 zombies, 4000 survivors, 3000 army personnel, and 2000 biotech units all spread out across the world. the way the game-play would progress is as the survivors and army and biotech die, they become zombies to strengthen the zombie forces. it would take a long time, but the idea is that you could wipe out all of the zombie infection and win the game. this would hopefully create a progression in the world around you as a character. in the beginning, there would be npcs around every corner, with gunshots every five seconds. but as you spend more time in the world you would see less and less survivors, and more and more infected. creating more and more disparity and lonesomeness as you survive.

one thing we talked about was making the game worth playing over and over again. the thing that makes most story lines playable a multitude of times, is different stories every time. (ie; mass effect 3, fallout, skyrim)

so we though, hey, why not be able to play as each type of npc player. we though that it would be nice to be able to choose, or set at random to be a non hostile survivor, a hostile survivor, an army personnel, or a biotech unit, when you start a new game. so at the beginning of the game, you spawn with a mental objective of your character, whether its to save survivors as a army unit, or to put them down as a biotech unit, or to just survive as a survivor. either way, eventually your team (if you have one.) will be killed one by one (or all at the same time.) and the game play will eventually degrade back down to Dayz status of just survival.

then we talked about things that could be implemented in dayz as it is now. one good one we talked about was mental status of your character added to the game. if the player gets into trouble, (ie; getting shot at, being around zombies for to long, or if he isn't around other people for long enough.) his mental state could degrade leading to the player seeing things, like imagining zombies, or passing out of fear around zombies. (i believe this would induce hopefully a more co-operative game play beyond giving people blood bags.)

another really good idea we went over was to implement some kind of hunter that only appears in the woods. this would hopefully break up, or at least give a hard time to the sniper posts in the woods outside of the city, and make the woods not exactly the best escape from a hoard of zombies. i had the idea of a bear or mountain lion in the woods. my friend suggested a infected hunter like creature.(being the scary game type, he likes things that make you jump.) im not so sure, but personally i would love to see slender in the woods of cherno. that would be terrifying!!

other things we talked about was a more stable melee system, involving timed reactions in game and the implemention of the combat knife into actual game play, but ill spare you those details.

i want to hear what you think, so please reply! thanks!

Edited by cogwarrior666
  • Like 4

First off: Good job just stopping in the middle of a pointless post?

Second off: Stop wasting your time and just go find a empty server

third off: Why even waste peoples time with this.

Cheers Bambi

well aren't we a lovely bunch of people who play this game. you all make me sick, all i was doing was giving ideas to further enhance the game play experiences of this game, but if you guys just want to insult me for it, you can go rot in hell for all i care. by the way, for anyone not reading, this was an idea for a single player side of the game, you know cause not everyone has parent they can mooch off of for amazing internet. piss off douchebags.

Edited by cogwarrior666
  • Like 4

I feel bad you're getting bashed lime this as i can tell you put a lot of thought into it. I didnt read the whole thing, because it IS long as hell. But, i applaud you for putting this much thought into it, and i think it's a good idea.

• Like 1

1) Making a single player mode is something that I would and will support as offline play can be as fun as online play sometimes after a long day and you just don't feel like dealing with the shenanigans of other people.

2) If you're sick from how people are on the internet, you may not have the constitution for it. I abhor how awful people are simply because there's no physical consequence to them being a douche-nozzle to someone on the other end of a computer screen but it's the nature of the environment dude, better get used to it. Ignore the idiots/flamers, talk with the smart folk :)

3) No some of us have jobs which we use to pay for our internet happy fun times, that being said some people don't have the income or the financial stability for the awesome flawless connections required to play PC games sometimes so single player is definitely a way to rope in these people. :)

look on youtube or google to find the singleplayer DayZ mod for the DayZ mod (insert inception joke) but there is a possibility you might have to downgrade or something to install the specific update.

O.K. the DayZ forum abuse is legendary, I know because I give it regular away. I do however give new posters the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you should too considering most of you haven't been here 2 minutes!

I have been asking for a while about a SA single player campaign, In fact, if OP looked up and found the search bar he / she could have found many post similar to this, with ideas similar and also some more depth.

Truth is we are at the mercy of the vision of Rocket, it's his idea and I believe it was intended as a Multi player experience and not a single player one. Shame really as I would like the choice of playing online and offline, as would many. There are older builds which allow you to play single player and i dare say once SA comes out the mod will have a single player version also released. To me it is just a matter of time for a release, but a base model will be fine, no additions need be put in for me.

TLDR. Regardless, someone has already coded a single player version of DayZ, you can also spawn crates, cars, etc. But you're all alone, not connected to any hives, etc. Use google, it's your friend.

i got a sollution for you ... make your own dedicated server, implement some npc survivor and run the server local only .... there you can play in your own sandbox

Edited by Ikar

i understand your aspect and appreciate the comments. but a sandbox style doesn't necessarily appeal to me, because in the sandboxes i have seen of dayz, you create the characters then run the game, and play. well, i would rather be able to press a button and be able to play against characters that are randomly generated, instead of knowing EXACTLY where they are..well because i spawned them there. if i wanted to make the scenarios that i experienced in game, id just play minecraft or something...

another thing i though would be awesome would be a barricading system in buildings, creating a more stable game play system, and also redefining the word "bandit", and simultaneously giving purpose to the otherwise meaningless items like bear traps, sand bags, and barbed wire. of course there would need to be repercussions to barricading and standing still, some of which would be automatically a problem, like being and obvious target, and having to make runs out of your camp for supplies and ammo. others will need to be coded in. i in-vision a continuous onslaught of zombies constantly growing around the outpost while attack your barricades, so the longer you stay the more dangerous it gets to stay, making it harder to get out, and making you a continuously growing target. after all its hard to miss 50 or 60 zombies on a street outside of a house, getting shot down while trying to tear down boards. (the reason being is because you dot want to make a place too safe. it would be a perfect medium. you can have perfect cover, and protection. but at a cost. ammo would deplete faster and in the end, it would be harder to get out of the area the longer you stay.)

I can't stand people that post in forums with horrible reading comprehension. "Good idea but isn't there a single player already?" Jeez this is a forum thread on Dayz Standalone. So to answer your question NO there isn't a damb single player. there isn't even a released game yet you idiot. That goes for the rest of you that keep bringing up Dayz mod when it's not the topic of this thread. To be clear STFU.

For anyone who actually wants to use their brain in this thread, what he is bringing up is a single player option for the standalone. Which implies that some people may not always want to play with other people. Now read this closely or you might just make yourself look like an arse. Rocket plans on having the game come out on console. Did you catch it? Ok if you didn't if it comes out on console it would HAVE to have a single player option even if it was 10% of the game and lame because a publisher will not put his game on the self without it unless it plays like team fortress 2 with non stop action.. there are plenty of people with consoles at how that are not connected to the web and that includes young teens and younger who have parent who don't want their kids chatting with people over the web.

So point being a standalone will have to be made "at some point' Not any time soon. His idea is at least a great spot to spring from in a brain storming section. At most it's something that a few ideas can be grabbed from by Rocket to do his own thing. Even if this is all bullcrap and no standalone is made because it never goes to console he can express his thoughts and artistic ideas. screw yourself for getting in the way of that.

Edited by BorealisPhoenix

OP,

Nice ideas. Forget the Losers here spitting and insulting, must have a poor sexual life to be so upset just by reading a post.

What you describe is not dayz and not SA. Both are sandbox-oriented games without NPCs, quests, routines or scripted motion patterns. They have been designed to be like that.

Instead, you can find something rather similar to what you described in the STALKER franchise (just google it): it misses Z but has everything else.

Or, you could try to mod (most likely a TC) moddable games such as the Elders Scroll group, even if you are very far away from the concept.

The last option would be to have a day server at home (possible, I have one as well) and build upon that.

_Anubis_

Firstly TLDNR.

Secondly. What you're suggesting is a completely different game altogether. Day Z revolves around it's PVP interactions, it just wouldn't be Day Z without it.

Thirdly. I like potatoe. ಠ_ಠ

Pretty sure Rocket's said on more than one occasion that singleplayer won't happen. DayZ is all about human interaction.

• Like 1

OP,

Nice ideas. Forget the Losers here spitting and insulting, must have a poor sexual life to be so upset just by reading a post.

_Anubis_

Dammit ! We have been rustled lads..head for them thar hillzzz !!!

look dayz shouldnt be singleplayer you can play the undead mod the reason why it should stay multiplayer is because dayz is player based it mostly is fun because the interaction with other players if they are going to shoot you be friendly team up or kidnap you npcs would break the game even if its in offline mod wouldnt feel the same dayz feels organic even rocket stated he wanted to game to feel more organic and as of your connection sorry you dont have good enough wifi but thats your problem not being an asshole just saying