Aryaa

MERGED: Gamma & Brightness

I don't suggest gamma be limited to exact 1.0, there could be a range of brightness and gamma correction (brightness seems fine, gamma maybe limited to 1.2-4). It's just that on my monitor, if I switch gamma to full, I can see everything in black and white, and it is incredibly clear.

I hate to admit that I keep using it, especially since my server is low pop and I usually have to go it alone, so when creeping into a barn/military base to steal the loot. I am nearly invisible to every zombie since I am prone, but I can see them no problem.

I don't see how you can sit here and dispute this.

Because it's likely to be impossible to control, un-ideal to control, and not a problem in the first place. Everyone has equal opportunity to whore this feature, or refrain from whoring it.

I don't see how YOU can sit there and talk about "right" and "wrong" in the context of this game.

I don't see how you can sit here and dispute this.

Because it's likely to be impossible to control' date=' un-ideal to control, and not a problem in the first place. Everyone has equal opportunity to whore this feature, or refrain from whoring it.

I don't see how YOU can sit there and talk about "right" and "wrong" in the context of this game.

[/quote']

You seem to be arguing for the sake of argument, that's all. It's NOT UNideal to control, in fact it's quite the opposite. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean it should be whored. Anyways, I'm heading to bed for the night.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not talking about context of right and wrong any more than you are. It's a SUGGESTION thread for a reason.

well you are, you're saying two wrongs don't make a right, i'm saying it's just a part of the game and people will either abuse it or not. I'm not suggesting its "right" to abuse the feature... just that it isnt "wrong" because it's an easilly accessible feature anyone can use - not a "cheat" or something like that.

It's not realistic of course, but everyone has different monitors and 'what monitor you have" is an abstract concept from the game's point of view. People need to be able to adjust for it with an abstract parameter because it simply is an abstract limitation in the first place.

Aside from the technical side of mods probably not being able to control it, i mean.

What is it with these players who almost demand that everyone play the game the way they do or else it's an unfair advantage/

"No 3rd person, cheaters"

"No crosshairs, use iron sights always, nubs."

"No going into the game's options and adjusting it to how it suits you, unfair."

What next?

"How dare you customise your keys? you should play with them exactly as i do waaah."

"Omg, he is using a 46" Tv when I say it should be played on a 20" monitor derp."

I use third person. Why? To gain an unfair advantage in PvP? Nope. The game is just so much smoother, better looking and to me suits the open world style a lot more.

I use crosshairs quite a bit. Because it's easy mode? Nope. In a PvP situation where i have time to choose my shot I do use the iron sights, but when getting ganked by a train of zeds I think the crosshair mixed with third personb sort of simulates the wild fire from the hip method I would use myself if panicked and cornered as it also allows smoother and faster movement.

I adjust gamma and brightness when it is too dark. To gain an unfair advantage? Again, nope. I use it because for the last few weeks I have been stuck on nightshift and have found myself on pitch black servers where I cannot see a thing and 99% of the time I put a flare up, some bandit shoots me in the face. Great fun, I admit, but as I have so far only managed to get on one US server that had daylight time I now and then like to actually be able to see a little bit.

Having the gamma up to 1.5 or so doesn't make the night time suddenly super light and I have struggled to actually make out a fair few things like zombies and players a lot of the time as they all blend into the black and whiteness of the world.

As a 98% PvE player, I am sick to death of the uber l337s preaching at me that everything I do is because I want to cheat or gain an unfair advantage. **** off. I just want to play and enjoy the game, and if that makes you cry, go and play only on hardcore servers and leave the rest of us to try and have fun in our gaming.

Thank you/.

[..]**** off. I just want to play and enjoy the game, and if that makes you cry, go and play only on hardcore servers and leave the rest of us to try and have fun in our gaming.

That's what we do, and yet little punks also use gamma settings there, despite the server being hardcore/veteran :)

Can't be fixed in any way though and since there's no need to argue with walls, might as well accept it, sigh and move on.

As one of those people who HAS to put their gamma and brightness up to even see anything on screen I think some of you have eaten WAY to many carrots.

I am all for keeping the dark dark, I use chem lights pretty much ALL the time as thats the only way I can introduce a SMALL amount of visibility to my screen. Without gamma and brightness whacked up all I see is black... I mean EVERYTHING is black I cannot distinguish the tops of trees and the sky. If I put up the brightness I then I can at least see where the tops of trees meet the sky.

Even if I were to be on top of a clearing looking down onto a town below, I am lucky to be able to see anything other than black, it is literally like I am a blind man walking around. With the brightness and gamma up I can see the stars.

Currently I couldn't see a zombie or person if they walked up and slapped me in the face, so this couldn't really get any worse, I would at least like to be able to see some sort of moonlight in open area, as in forests I can understand it would be really dark due to the foliage cutting out the light, but in the open there is no real reason why it would be blindingly dark. Again I just want to confirm I dont want it so I can see perfectly, I like the whole night time scavenging, as it makes some things possible that you cannot do in daylight, but it worries me when some people say they can almost see perfectly in darkness with their settings up, and I cannot see a damned thing with my settings up.

I agree. I saw in the menu that this was possible and it's a cheap way to get around using flares/being tactical. If your monitor is too dark to see anything' date=' good, use a damn flare.

Edit: Actually, just thought about it, is the gamma controlled by the mod itself or does Arma have complete control over it? If so is it possible for DayZ to detect the gamma level and counteract it?

[/quote']

No, it's Arma 2 settings. Even though it would be possible to enforce the ArmA settings there way to up the gamma still. Graphics card settings, monitor settings and external programs like gammasutra.

I dont think this is the biggest lighting problem right now. I think it's too damn dark, All I see when I connect to night servers are total and complete darkness except some stars. Some people call it realistic I am not sure I agree, the eyes gets used to the darkness after a while and you can see atleast silhuettes, I think that should be incorporated.

I love how those who whine about the gamma slider are the first ones that will rely on out of game chat/voice chat and out of game map and loot tables.

The door swing both way you know.

On the subject of gamma, peoples have wildly different hardware and on some of them the night is unplayable to the point that the sky and the treeline can't even be distinguished, while on other hardwares it's perfectly visible.

Hmm, another option would be to make every night a night with no moon.

When the night is really as dark as possible in the game, then gamma doesn't help. Had this a couple of times already.

Right now, people are boosting their gamma once it's nightime and getting back to normal when it's daylight, may be it would be good to have the night to "moon light" setting permanently.

I support this, it shouldnt be hard to disable the options.

Nightime isn't hard if you modify your gamma

I refuse to use this exploit because I enjoy the atmosphere of the mod, and quite frankly this ruins it.

I think it does provide an advantage that shouldn't be there but I'm unaware of any plans to change this (as mentioned, gamma can still be boosted on a drivers level so it may not fix the exploit even if it is disabled). Really, people are only cheating themselves and thus depriving themselves of the great experience that this mod has to offer.

Cheers.