Monxer

MRE Meals

So, this isn't a big suggestion, just a more rare type of food. If you don't understand the acronym "MRE", it stands for "Meal Ready to Eat" and is well known for it's use in military's across the globe. Basically the MRE strictly spawns in military spawn points, and it a rare food/drink spawn. Why is it so rare? Look at what I mentioned before, "food/drink". Yes, i'm suggesting the MRE only take up one slot in your inventory, but also restores both your hunger and thirst. This handy for groups going out on scouting missions and need as much inventory space as possible.

• Like 12

I think this is a good idea. I honestly don't see why MRE's haven't been in the game from the start. As for spawn frequency, I think they should be extremely rare (but still find-able) outside of military bases, but on the bases, they should be rare-ish.

My ideas would be to add a variety of dried foods, beef jerky, dried fruit .etc the type of food with long shelf lives, or Glad Wrap bags and maybe salt as a preservative for any fresh meats you may get. Also rotten foods that have gone off or contaminated water so if it comes down to it, and you absolutely HAVE to eat/drink and all you can find is rotten food/water, you will have no choice but to eat it. The side effect being you will get sick. After all it is a survival game. If they are going to implement a system where you can get sick off expired food this would be handy.

Wouldn't be so bad with other canned foods such as Spaghetti, Sweet Corn, Beetroot, Cans of Soup either, each with it's own nutritional value. Won't make much of a difference on the effects of the way the game plays, but it's just good to know you have variety of foods to choose from which makes the game seem more realistic since people don't only keep cans of baked beans and two types of soda drinks in their cupboards.

They should add chocolate bars, replenish a bit of hunger and gives you an additional energy boost (run faster for a short period) maybe, also a Wonka Bar could be the Mountain Dew.

I do like the MRE idea though. Perhaps there could be fruit that grows on a few trees which you can eat but don't fill you up quite as much as the tins or meat. Also energy drinks, similar to chocolate bars giving you a small boost of speed. If the loot system gets an overhaul then MREs should only spawn in the military barracks/hangars/tents and deer stands (idk if they would spawn in deer stands, would it be someone would take hunting?).

• Like 1

Sorry for posting in this dead thread, but I think the current MRE that has been added needs to follow this. The game is supposed to be semi realistic, and since MRE's in real life contain drinks (Coffee and a mixed drink such as juice, coco, or shakes), then the MRE's in the game should also restore drink and food as the OP suggested.

Sorry for posting in this dead thread, but I think the current MRE that has been added needs to follow this. The game is supposed to be semi realistic, and since MRE's in real life contain drinks (Coffee and a mixed drink such as juice, coco, or shakes), then the MRE's in the game should also restore drink and food as the OP suggested.

In Germany the MRE or EPA do, as far as i know, Not contain drinks. It is just the meal (BYOB).

as far as i know the MREs in the mod restores some blood, is that not enough?

would be nice though.

would be nice though.

Food instantaneously restoring blood is a feature that should be removed. In real life, if you've lost a lot of blood, it's not like chugging down a huge pile of beef jerky will just magically restore the lost blood. Make it so that the game monitors your food and hydration meters, or the mount of energy/stamina and water you have in your system, and adjusts your blood regen rate accordingly. The only way of gaining blood quickly should be through blood transfusions, and even then you should receive the right type of blood or else you will get blood poisoning.

Just throwing some extreme ideas out there :).

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 2

In Germany the MRE or EPA do, as far as i know, Not contain drinks. It is just the meal (BYOB).

It contains instant powder for coffee, tea and some soda. You need to use those in clean/boiled water. Not relevant for a game like DayZ hence the water does the job without any additives.

would be nice though.

They do restore a total of 800 blood, but still, they should restore drink as well. Just restoring food and 800 blood isnt very realistic with this item. Not to mention they are rare military, why not add an actual reason for them to be rare.

Moreover next gen rations and MREs contain heater bags to cook the main meal and could warm the players character.

How do I know this works cause that's what I use them for stick em in your shirt after its cooked your meal to warm you up NOT during as they get really hot.

• Like 3

Moreover next gen rations and MREs contain heater bags to cook the main meal and could warm the players character.

How do I know this works cause that's what I use them for stick em in your shirt after its cooked your meal to warm you up NOT during as they get really hot.

Hell yeah, now there is another idea! Seriously, why hasn't this been implemented with these?

How about vending machines that you are able to break and sodas/snacks would appear on the bottom? ;)

Edit: This idea appeared since there are cardboard boxes filled with medical supplies :)

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 3

How about vending machines that you are able to break and sodas/snacks would appear on the bottom? ;)

Edit: This idea appeared since there are cardboard boxes filled with medical supplies :)

You sir, have my beans on that idea.

• Like 1

You sir, have my beans on that idea.

Much appreciated. :)

I also wonder if MRE's come with some form of powdered packages that you could use with water(such as juice, coffee, etc) to fill up your thirst?

They do restore a total of 800 blood, but still, they should restore drink as well. Just restoring food and 800 blood isnt very realistic with this item. Not to mention they are rare military, why not add an actual reason for them to be rare.

rare? i find them all over the place! am i just really lucky?

rare? i find them all over the place! am i just really lucky?

Indeed you are. I am lucky if I find 2 in a day.

Wow, they need to fix the "Revert on restart" bug that started in 1.7.6 because I lost all 10 MRE's that took me a week to get because my server crashed and restarted.

I wouldn't have a problem with the reverts if my host had the new item files for the spawn menu so that way I could simply spawn them back in, but they don't so I am pretty much screwed.... Well time to go back out and hunt for more MRE's...

Note: When I talk about spawning stuff in, I am talking about the server hosts spawn menu, not item spawn hacks.

(Yes, I am an MRE whore. Problem?)

Edited by Dlcoates1

They should add chocolate bars, replenish a bit of hunger and gives you an additional energy boost (run faster for a short period)

There should be energy drinks that give you a energy boost for a few mins.

Boxes of food (cookies, chips, etc) would be a cool addition. They would take up two inventory slots, but you could use it many times to eat.

Well, congrats. MRE's are in the game. I agree with the concept. I also think that crude farming should be implimented. Around once a day, you can collect crops you grow, but they spoil 12 hours if they aren't picked after becoming ripe.

Kinda wish DayZ had a more "survival" accent rather than "looter" accent as it is currently. Packaged goods do run out when there is nobody to produce them.