Sign in to follow this  
gator (DayZ)

Enterable Buildings

I have a noob Q. If I go to a building door and there is no icon to open, is the building not enterable at all? It seem 90% of the buildings I can't enter. Will more buildings be enterable in beta / release?

Only buildings with open door "houses" and some sheds or guard houses are enter-able with moving doors. The hospital you can break the glass to enter it.

I agree, so many buildings are just scenery, especially in the rural areas. Be nice to have more accessible buildings.

Yes. You're not able to enter a building when the door is closed and you do not have the option to open it.

Also; it's not feasible to have more buildings become enter-able as the map would need to be remade (and then re-downloaded by all who wish to play.)

The buildings are a function of the map which is "borrowed" from the original Arma2. It is very difficult to make non-enterable buildings enterable. Keep your fingers crossed for custom maps with better buildings.

The buildings are a function of the map which is "borrowed" from the original Arma2. It is very difficult to make non-enterable buildings enterable. Keep your fingers crossed for custom maps with better buildings.

I wonder how difficult map-making is. I know for a damned fact it'll be time consuming and will probably never be perfect, but... I wonder how difficult it'd be.

There are some great maps with almost all enterable buildings. Keep in mind however that they are more of a resource hog that your static buildings.

Also, because this is Alpha, there are major game mechanics that need to be worked out - so keeping it to 'Vanilla ARMA 2' allows them to work from an already known entity. A new map, or custom map might have a slew of troubleshooting on its own. Not to mention having to have people download it as well.

I do remember Rocket mentioning a custom map in the future though, as a I am sure it is somewhere on the development map.

I wonder how difficult map-making is. I know for a damned fact it'll be time consuming and will probably never be perfect' date=' but... I wonder how difficult it'd be.

[/quote']

It's difficult, not impossible. BIS supplies all the tools but unfortunately not near enough documentation. Learning how to map is quite the endeavour, I know, I tried, but it's manageable once you have the tools under control. Modelling new, enterable buildings is a whole other set of challenges and one that not even many mappers have gotten very far with.