Sign in to follow this  
Drakan

Move the corpses !

Hi guys !

Another day on Dayz !

Here is a simple suggestion related with the already existing features of the game.

I guess that after having spent few weeks surviving in Tchernarus you probably already had to deal with dead bodies...

Wether it is a zombie or a human body, your fresh victim consists in a threat or a treat depending on the conditions.

I came up with this thought:

Don't you think that It would be great if corpses were still moveable after death ?

Carefull, first let's recapitulate all together:

• For the moment, you can move a wounded survivor or a wounded bandit.
  • As soon as it dies, the command is deleted and you can no longer move the corpse.
  • The aim of moving a body is to put it under cover so you can do your business without being shot at. (Imagine that you're trying to grab your friend who just got shot by the sniper in the hills. You can maybe heal him while staying protected by the wall that is just next to you.. ).
  • When you hide a corpse, you erase some evidences of your presence in town.
  • Zombies are not movable (and it shoulld not be changed, it works very well the way it is. Explained Later).
  • And finally, a corpse left on purpose (example of a survivor body on the middle of the road), can be transformed into a special trap. It needs some skills and confidence.

My answer to the above question would be YES !

I find it sad that a body can be moved but gets locked to the ground as soon as it dies.

But is it possible to make the "movable" duration longer ?

I am not sure because the death system is probably sharing the same one of Arma II and would maybe cause problems since a player is considered "dead" or "alive" by the game. It would in this case require a heavy script , with heavy risks of glitchs related to death.. (the worse glitches this game could have).

Still, this feature would be awesome for the two following facts:

- First; because there is no reason why a wounded could be moved while a dead body could not.

- Secondly, if a dead body can be moved it means a lot of new possibilites f!

If by any chance such characteristic could be implemented, it would need the following limitation:

A simple consensus would consist in opening a only 5 minutes "moving time" after the death of the player.

Thus , the body could be moved around freely within this short timelapse.

This would first anhilate any risks of abusing the "body moving thing" otherwise it would make the things too easy if the bodies where constantly movable.. (and we all know that it is against the DayZ Survival principles to get the things to be too easy).

Then, it would mainly only allow the killer to move his victim. (clearly 70 % of chances that only the killer will be around under the 5 minutes timeline)

And Finally, It would give a suplementary chance for the players to know the deathdate of some corpses. For example if you just arrive in Elektro firestation two minutes after somebody got shot in the same firestation (may often occur if you are playing on 10 players+ servers)

As you will approach the corpse, you will know it's freshness by the fact that you can still move it or.

You can even make it harder by aggroing this action.

Zombies would spot you easily as you grab the corpse. Considering that the smell may taunt them

Depending on the way the script will be led and probably also depending on the game scripts, a permanent access to the "grab body" icon in the action menu can be issued. Once the five minutes pass, A scripted message could tell you "the body is too rotten for carrying" . Guess how it would fit with any moving tentatives above zombies.

Hope that it wasn't too long.

Tell me what do you think,

And if you think that my proposition is crap. We will meet in Elektro, I'm giving-out some free weapons and ghillies

Edited by Drakan
  • Like 6

I like it! :D

-Pictures "strapping" victims to hood of car, wounded or dead, ala madmax.

-Invisions right clicking beartrap while dragging a body, with a grenade inventory...phrase "booby-trap body" is clickable. (Actually a jerrycan, empty whiskey bottle, bandaid and matches-present could result in molotov ^_^ )

• Like 1

I love this idea too man! It does open a lot of new possibilites to make looting bodies and killing players a lot scarier!

It is real that implementend with objects (IED's and beartraps) would be even more trivial !

This is a great idea. But you contradicted yoyrself, i think, you said drag your friend to safety to save his things, but then you said only the killer could move the body.

Everyone should be able to move it, like you said, drag your friend to cover after you dealt your revenge on his killer.

huh. I already come up with this suggestion ages ago.. Actually what I came up with was the medical module 'carry over shoulder' and battlefield dressing ability.. shoulder carry already exists in arma 2 files, so does the animation.

Edited by disorder

I like the overall idea, but I have a different idea than the "5 minute move timer".

It is not realistic to be able to carry a dead body, but then it SUDDENLY gets stuck to the ground.

Now, I think you should be able to move a body whenever, but there are some counterparts to it.

Pros:

-Can move the body around

-Traps

-Further body inspection (If this is in the game, "His/Her name was ..., He/She died from ..."

Cons:

-You are completely vulnerable while moving a dead body

-The longer you are holding a body for, the slower you become, as you grow tired.

-If the body has been dead for X amount of time, you have a high chance of catching a disease from it.

Or something along those lines? :)

Edit: Also, increase hunger and thirst during carrying times ^-^

Edited by Mini Maracas
  • Like 1

I like the overall idea, but I have a different idea than the "5 minute move timer".

It is not realistic to be able to carry a dead body, but then it SUDDENLY gets stuck to the ground.

Now, I think you should be able to move a body whenever, but there are some counterparts to it.

Pros:

-Can move the body around

-Traps

-Further body inspection (If this is in the game, "His/Her name was ..., He/She died from ..."

Cons:

-You are completely vulnerable while moving a dead body

-The longer you are holding a body for, the slower you become, as you grow tired.

-If the body has been dead for X amount of time, you have a high chance of catching a disease from it.

Or something along those lines? :)

Increase hunger and thirst during carrying times and you got yourself beans and a deal

How far are you guys planning on carrying them? All the way back to camp as a trophy?

Im thinking 200m max, to the closest tree, etc

Meh. You should be able to carry a corpse across the whole map if you want to. Just implement a body-rot timer, so the longer the corpse spends on the ground, the closer it gets to being immovable.

Also, shouldn't we be able to give player with broken legs a piggy-back or something? Crawling is slow as hell, and this way, both players could still probably use their pistols to defend themselves.

Na na na nah !

The 5 minutes counter Solves EVERY problem linked to draging abuse (for example guys having fun bringing a corpse to NWAF since Kamenka)

To kniFely ; I didn't contredict myself.

Actually I wanted to tell that due to the 5 minutes time, it would mainly be the killers who will move the bodies (dead fresh bodies). Or anyone close enough / fast enough to do it.

Off course, you will still be able to carry around your wounded friend ... Which is a totally different thing

The shoulder thing is too close to Amra - only a war thing. Only trained and very strong soldiers could do such a thing (spetznatz; foreign legionaires ; Gurka's). And not the common soldier or survivor

I guess that if we had to move a body as a survivor, It would be done exclusively while dragging it by it's feet.

Moreover if one day they decide to implement a correct blood engine (standalone) the fact of draging a body will make these creepy greezzly blood traces on the ground.

A 24h24 draging (always available) would trigger too many abuses. Especially if they decide to make it work with Zombies (I don't think it would be good)

Edited by Drakan

The shoulder thing is too close to Amra - only a war thing. Only trained and very strong soldiers could do such a thing (spetznatz; foreign legionaires ; Gurka's). And not the common soldier or survivor
What? You're telling me, you can't lift a person on your shoulders unless you're a Ghurka?

Unless your muscles are atrophied to the point that you can't stand up, you can lift and carry another person.

You would tire quickly, and you wouldn't be moving all that fast, but it's easily possible.

I think if bodies are going to be interactable, they should stay that way until you've finished whatever you're doing.

The way you describe it, I picture dragging a body away from a town, only to stop dead, because suddenly the corpse can no longer be moved. :huh:

EDIT: is interactable a word?

Also, I fail to see how spending time dragging a corpse across the countryside somehow amounts to abuse in your book.

If you're using a 5-minute timer, it should start/restart with the last time you laid the body on the ground.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

If you're using a 5-minute timer, it should start/restart with the last time you laid the body on the ground.

This! Beans to you :) This would work better, and also not be as unrealistic. There shouldn't be a timer, just if a body has been on the floor for 5 minutes, it can't be dragged, but you can drag a body as long as you want (See my last post for more info on this).

So if you set a body as a trap, you most probably won't be able to use that body once the 5 minute timer is up.

:)

• Like 1

Maraca's idea of 5 minutes after last move isn't bad !

But I already see you guys comming with lots of funny ideas.

The essential is to avoid bodies from being dragged on 10 miles distance.

Avoid anything which would get the game slower or less authentic as well.

It's a pleasure to see that we can discuss on these possible improvements in a such constructive way !

Edited by Drakan
  • Like 1

Fixing a corpse to the ground is NOT more authentic.

I don't understand why you see dragging a body as far as you like as such an issue.

The extra load on the server is only going to be registered while you're in the process of manoeuvering/booby-trapping one body. It won't slow down the game.

The essential is to avoid bodies from being dragged on 10 miles distance.
The fact is, it shouldn't be essential to prevent people from doing what they want, it's just necessary to be able to find a nice compromise between "long enough" and "too long" for bodies to stay in game.

There should be a long enough corpse-removal timer so that bodies can potentially be used as a trap, but not so long as to fill servers with ever-lasting dead players.

EDIT: Looks like mini Maracas gets the credit.

Maybe I'm a figment of your imagination! :|

lulz

Edited by Chabowski

I made a post about dragging and hiding the dead a few days ago: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/106936-playing-with-and-honoring-the-dead/

I like the ideas of dragging bodies but a five minute timer is in my opinion too restrictive and not needed. I can see the body entering rigor mortis after an hour and becoming stiff as a plank which would impede the ability to drag it as easily if it were fresh.

Some of the things I suggested in my thread may be a bit out of colour, but I did suggest being able to make a grave for the dead and place them in it for a more permanent way of hiding the body or for a moral/sanitary reason (the inclusion of disease would mean rotting flesh all around would cause sickness for everyone around). I think being able to drag someone then properly bury them would add a more realistic dimension to the game as people generally dont leave the dead in the middle of a road.

Maraca's idea of 5 minutes after last move isn't bad !

It wasn't my idea ^-^ It's Chabowski's. :) I was just backing up his point :D

ah ok ; sorry. I'll remove your beans for Chabowski so ?! ; )

Just some ideas to tack on to your pretty good idea. My first one is there should be a blood trail when pulling a carcase through the brush. Also maybe after 8-24 in game hours have the body begin to bloat/ decompose rather rapidly. Possable over the course of a week it could become nothing but bones and unwearable clothes. About the time you could drag it 5 minutes seems a bit much. I would make it an hour but after that hour have it begin attracting dead from kilometers away, and have buzzards begin orbiting it. Once it begins stinking then it would become undraggable. I kind of hinted at it but I would like to see buzzards being usable to spot dead game, live zombies, and dead players.

Edited by Robert-_-Frost
  • Like 1

I like the idea, however, I'd have to ask how long do you expect these persist on the server? I know the standalone is suppose to be better optimized and more efficient but something like this could cause performance issues.

Edited by Lights Out

Another cool idea would be the ability to skin a corpse, and hang it from a tree. Would be some predator type decoration for a bandits layer. Or it could be some troll's way of scaring somebody. :)

• Like 2

How about we put this in the standalone (or ask for it) and extend the time limit? And me, wondering why zombies will knock you unconscious and eat you, but kill you and walk away? What about it eating corpses? This will definitely arouse zombies to be looking at you, as well as if they find the corpse, they could start eating it too. I think that'd be a nice touch to the macabre.

• Like 2

Does this mean if we can drag a dead body that we can also use it as a meat shield from weapons fire?

+1 for meat shield!

And zombie-bait like Neko-san says