I have an extra i7 computer laying around collecting dust, I was wondering if there was a way that I could use it as a server or something and host a game. Is it possible?

Carpet. Is this server located in a data centre or just at your home?

If I remember correctly, they are only using servers which are "proper" servers located at Data Centres that can have GB's(/TB's) of data transferred. I don't think they are allowing home servers to be used as of yet, although I could be wrong.

Drop dayzdevteam@gmail.com an email and enquire.

A single 40 slot server transfers about 1.2TB of data a month (approx 260GB a week). Personally, I would even consider hosting it from home, even with an unlimited bandwidth connection.

Sorry, I mis-read my bandwidth monitor. Yesterday, we used 56.7GB. If a server uses that per day, it still only works out at about 1.5TB a month. I'm hosting EU5, so I know what my server gets through. Yours may be different. Just giving info from my side :)

lofty

what is the average data throughput rate on the server you are running in Mibit/s ?

Depends how your data is charged. Seems about a 3:4 ratio between IN and OUT traffic. Some charge data both ways, some charge just one way, often whatever is highest.

Rough estimates, a 50 slot server would use 4Mbit in, 6Mbit out. It all varies a lot though on your config. With 10 player it sits around 500Kb in/out for example, and with 50 it can go up to 9Mbit at times.

50 slot server can use from 100-200GB a day, or say 60-120GB per day if only charged one way. Hosting a DayZ server probably isn't something you jump into blinded, with no idea what it entails.

Well we have a system read to go. Our team has all the equipment and bandwidth ready to roll. We just need details on how to set it up and confirmation that we can do it. I emailed the devs but its been four days with no response. Other wise we could have another Australian server up and running by now.