Sign in to follow this  
Bonappetit

AMD and fps - question

I've been searching forums for some kind of a guide to boost my fps. It was really helpful except the part where I was suppose to make changes in Catalyst Control Center. In that guide CCC is completely different (probably different version I believe) so I'm struggling to find it. Here's a picture of what I've found but I can only generally tweak my settings, not particulary for the game I want so as you see it doesn't show much options. I may be looking at the wrong tab or something, I really need help in here :)

So the question is how do I add a game, in this case arma2(dayZ), to my CCC so I can tweak the settings.

I've followed this guide: http://www.dayzpvp.c...d-tweaks-guide/

My picture of CCC: http://img823.images...6590/amdfps.png

Edited by Miracool

Would help if you had included specs along side that paragraph. I use a AMD system and have no framerate issues on an older card (5750 X'fired). I can play with every thing maxed (except Post-processing, but that's just to get rid of the annoying motion blur) but even then it's still considered a higher end card compared to a $50-$80 (see: http://www.hwcompare.com/10884/radeon-hd-5750-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6670-oem-1gb/)

If you're aiming for max FPS, then turn down your settings all the way. Resolution is key too. Just because your monitor goes to 1080 does not mean your card can keep up.

Also graphics cards aren't everything when it comes to gameplay. Your bottleneck is most likely your processor.

If you feel you shouldn't have to then post your settings and I'll show you why you have to. And for Christ's sake, don't say you're playing on a laptop and want 120fps.

Where it says '<<New Application>>' you would select ArmA 2, lol.

Here is my computer spec, @Pikachu not laptop ^.^

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU

RAM: 2gb

Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6670

@mZLY Nothing shows when I click on "New Application", that's why I've made this post.

If you need to know anything else tell me :)

I think that not all AMD cards have all those options. For example my old laptop doesnt have tessalation. I have an old laptop with CCC and I only get a couple of options too. If I set it to "best performance" it looks blurry and shit, if I set it to "best quality" it lags, so I put it in the middle. Maybe you might wanna try that? If its laggy maybe you have it on "best quality"? This is Mipmap detail Im talking about, that seemed to have a big effect on game. I also cant choose ArmA 2 like you, but you dont need to, these settings will work with everything unless you specify. So unless you want different settings for different games you dont have to add an ArmA 2 profile.

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU

@mZLY Nothing shows when I click on "New Application", that's why I've made this post.

2gb of RAM just isnt enough really, upgrade your RAM (you can then use it on any new PC you get) if you can. Thats what I would do.

Also what resolution are you playing at? Because if (1080p) take a look at this, its from a review site:

FOR

• Beats the HD 5670
  • Nearly playable at 1680 x 1050

AGAINST

• The HD 5770 still has it beat
  • Tough competition sub-£100

Edited by Rooneye

My screen resolution is 1680x1050. I'm getting around 50-60fps when out of town but inside it can lower to 25-30 which is still fine, but it usually drops drastically fast so that's bottering me, those few-second-laggs every now and then but it's playable, that's the most important.

Anyway I've found out what I've needed about CCC, thanks for the replies and help. I should really get some more RAM ^.^

Edited by Miracool

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU

There's your bottleneck. Your CPU.

Honestly, RAM isn't going to help you as much as replacing the Duo.

I would tell you to just try and upgrade the CPU, but the socket it sits in is dated as well and getting a Core 2 Quad isn't as cost effective as just buying a new i3/i5 board.

But hell, if you've found your setting sweetspot then don't spend money you don't have to. If you can just drop the resolution a touch more and that stutter should smooth out.

Happy hunting, mate.