Sign in to follow this  
DaleCooper

Skills based on character (because everyone wasn't born Rambo)

So here's a take on introducing classes with skills and create more interesting player interaction in DayZ: Do what you're good at, and learn by observing fellow survivors

Because honestly, every survivor out there can't be helicopter pilots and also flay animals like a pro butcher. So what if you choose "class" when creating a profile that grants you certain main skills, and to learn other skills you have to spend time with other type of characters (a marine spends time with a hunter to learn to gut animals, a hunter spends time with a mechanic to learn to fix cars)

Some natural survivors:

Marine - Faster reloads, military weapon repair, can use helicopter, first aid, better stamina (+marine starting gear)

Hunter - Make fire without matches, deploy traps, gut animals, fast reload for hunting rifles (+hunter starting gear)

Mechanic - Repair vehicles, hotwire vehicles (because otherwise you'd need keys, duh), faster vehicle repair, create barricades/obstacles (+mechanic starting gear)

More?

This would make playing patterns more diverse as different skillsets create different means of survival. It also means that people would want to team up if they want to survive; you might want to think twice killing a stranger if he can teach you a thing or two. And who knows, maybe it could be a start of a great friendship :)

Any thoughts? :)

The game is shying away from "classes" ... but I would like to see the ability to do things and get better at them. A little better than the typical grinding system but I'll use an example.

Lets say they go ahead with weapon degradation, and also let you maintain your weapon by cleaning it. Subtle things like, you clean the weapon and you become more proficient/faster at it. Do it enough times and you now have the ability to maintain weapons better.

Apply enough bandages and you might be better at stopping wounds.

No limit on the things you can do, you could be a pro at absolutely everything in the game, but guess what? If you die... you lose all your skills learned.

• Like 3

I'm just thinking that for the sake of realism and for creating more player interaction it would be interesting if you actually started with no skill whatsoever in certain things. In real life I would be totally clueless if I had to repair a car. It's not that it would take me a week to get it done, I just wouldn't know where to start:D

I'm all for subtle character progression as you mention, but it would add so much to the gameplay if people had to depend on each other in a greater extent.

I'm just thinking that for the sake of realism and for creating more player interaction it would be interesting if you actually started with no skill whatsoever in certain things. In real life I would be totally clueless if I had to repair a car. It's not that it would take me a week to get it done, I just wouldn't know where to start:D

I'm all for subtle character progression as you mention, but it would add so much to the gameplay if people had to depend on each other in a greater extent.

Well, I think the subtle progression can get better. Lets use your car repair as an example. Changing a tire is pretty common knowledge, so everyone will know how to change a tire. Maybe once you change so many tires you can tackle another level, maybe now you can put new glass on the windows, the more cars you fix up... Maybe now you can replace the fuel tank, more you fix up maybe now you can repair an engine.

So the person that wants to specialize in repairing vehicles goes through all those steps, where as you or me might be like.. That's not important to me. So essentially that person is a "Mechanic" but it's earned through gameplay and not just something you picked in the beginning.