Samwells

How do i speak?

Someone's voice came through my headfones and said, " are you friendly "

i tried to speak back but i guess they couldn't hear me? i have a built in mic...

i even typed in " i'm friendly " but they didn't reply? or cant they see it?

Cap locks either hold down to talk or double tap to stay on you should see a mic symbol

Change the channel by pressing full-stop (.), if the person you want to talk to is nearby change channel to Direct then press Ctrl to talk. If the server has sidechat enabled and you wish to speak in there, press full-stop until you are in side-chat (indicated on the lower left of the screen) and press Ctrl to talk. If you are in a vehicle then use vehicle channel (again, selected by pressing full stop (.) until it cycles to Vehicle.

If you missed a typed message you can always see the chat history by pressing / to open a new line of text, then press page up to scroll back through the chat.

Cheers.

Edited by Caffeind

press ","to switch to direct chat

"," and "." to switch through the channels.

Side or Global broadcast to everyone in the server.

Direct broadcasts to anyone nearby, something like 50m for voice, 75m for text AFAIK.

Vehicle broadcasts to anyone inside the same vehicle as you.

Hold "caps lock" while you talk.

DO NOT speak in Side Chat on DayZ, Ive never played a server where thats allowed. I've played on a lot of servers with Side Chat and people (rightly so) get PISSED if you keep speaking over side chat. No one wants to hear you talk if they're trying to listen for footsteps or whatever. Or if their in a tense situation then someone screams "Friendly" over side chat and they jump out of their skin, maybe even accidentally firing their weapon :D I speak from experience! They'll ban you too if you keep doing it.

Either change your chat channel to direct every time you want to speak OR (the best thing to do) go into options and set Caps Lock to only speak over direct chat. Now even if you are currently in side chat TYPING away (thats totally allowed) then someone jumps out at you and you dont have time to switch channels, once you press the caps lock it will automatically put you in Direct chat while you are speaking and then back in side once you stop.

The excuse of "Someone jumped out quickly I didnt have time to switch channels" wont cut it mroe than once, when it takes 10 seconds to change one option that will make this never happen again.

I bound a key to use mic over Direct Communication channel ONLY and found it to be VERY useful. You can do it under options and controls then edit the keyboard hot keys.

This is because you don't have to use " . " to switch to the right channel and THEN use your mic to talk.... you just hit the key and bah-bam you are talking over Direct Comm.

Plus you never accidentally use voice over Side Chat / Command Chat which is forbidden on like every server that uses those comm channels.

Also you don't keep cycling CAPS LOCK on and off which gets damn annoying. Terrible idea to make a default hot key bound to caps lock.