kilmannan

Adjustments to fall damage needed

Well I fell off the roof of the hospital in Cherno yesterday and IRL I would have died but only broke my leg in DayZ...

I full-heartedly agree with this (and almost started my own thread). I was freshly spawned on the outskirts of what I believed to be Chernogorsk, had made it long enough to defend myself, whilst on the run from zombies and ended up dying...from a 3-4 foot drop from the dock ledge, onto some sand...

Weight was out of the question, as I barely had time/room to fit much, health-wise I was attacked, but bandaged immediately; so moderately healthy. I had full saturation in vision, yet met with an untimely "You Are Dead" screen. This isn't the first time this has happened of course, but I feel this scenario was the most ridiculous. No doubt that some scaled punishment should be applied to falls (ideally, greater than 8 feet), but certainly not an insta-death. I would accept my fate of, say, a 2nd-story fall if it were broken bones - perhaps bleeding from such a case, but not this.

I only hope this is something they take into account and not disregard as a part of the engine.

HUURR DURR indeed...

Agreed. In those two floor barns, I jumped off HALF of the bottom stairs... and died instantly. 

Same, I was also crouchin and being careful/stealthy at the time.

Pro-tip: Don't go in Barns...EVER

I crawled next to a tree and exploded. Are you going to attribute that to fall damage as well?

I don't know why but picturing this in my head made me laugh.

As a new player I should have read up on fall damage in this game before playing... I died falling off HALF of the first (glitchy) staircase of Devils Castle. I was trying to look at some boots sticking up through the floor and just slipped off... Fell 5 feet and died instantly. That's pretty rough... Knowing what I know now I'm never going to use stairs that don't have railings and I'm never going to touch ladders.

LOVE the game so far though.

By the way, anybody seen the video of the guy jumping off the apartment roof and taking no damage? He collides with a tree on the way down and then lands on a car... 0 damage taken haha. Hyper realism ftw.

So I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm pretty confident that I can step off a height of five feet and land without collapsing in a heap and falling unconcious.

I understand the dynamic of the damage system in use, but really, either it needs to be improved or things such as fall damage need to be reassessed.

Yeah, I think the fall damage/distance still needs to be tweaked.  I literally just fell 4 feet (no momentum) and died.