Sign in to follow this  
AMF3

Gaming mouse/keyboard suggestions

This is off topic of the game itself but I thought you guys would be a good judge and have good input. I've been looking at some gaming mice/keyboards and if you read the reviews on sites like newegg, all of them are apparently horrible. My Alienware setup came with just the basic keyboard/mouse and I wanted to get a keyboard that lit up since I play mostly at night on my tv and a mouse with some extra buttons but I read a lot of horror stories. So I wanted to get some advice from hardcore gamers.

I was looking at the razer naga but every razer mouse I look at has 2 pages worth of bad reviews saying they have problems with buttons going out, just never working and always customer service. I can definitely understand there being some problems with thousands of products sold but them not standing behind their product scares me off. I like the r.a.t., was doing some more checking up on them. I also looked heavily at the Logitech g9x but see a ton of posts about its buttons failing as well.

I spent a few days researching keyboards and mice. Asked my wife for these for Christmas =^.^= Games now are getting to have so many hotkeys now that it's hard for me to reach them all and remember them all. Plus I really want a few extra buttons on the mouse. So it's time to upgrade the Packard Bell keyboard and Dell mouse! Yeah... that's right...I said Packard Bell...

Ideazon SteelSeries MERC Stealth keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Merc-Stealth-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00292OW1U

$90

CM Storm Xornet - Gaming Mouse

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Xornet-Switches-SGM-2001-BLON1/dp/B005TEPB74

$24

If you get the keyboard be sure to get the SteelSeries as it comes with the software which is honestly a big part of the whole package. Without it you just got a keyboard. With it you get much more flexibility with programing and setting up profiles.

For some reason I couldn't see spending $80 to $90 on a mouse. All I really wanted was acceptable DPI and extra buttons. Found that for $24. Came recommended by several gamers as did the Logitech G400 which is $35 on Amazon.

Go watch a review on the R.A.T 9 =) It's cool just to see that thing but....yeah... not spending a $130 on a mouse!

http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/cyborg-r-a-t/4505-3148_7-34150179.html

I've been looking at the steel series stuff as well. The r.a.t.s are cool but it seems like the higher the series the lower the ratings. I guess if you want all the bells and whistles it comes at the cost of quality in some aspects.

I have just ordered these two items

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-RZ01-00151400-R3/dp/B002Q4U5DK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352346423&sr=8-1&keywords=Razer+deathadder

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-JQD-00001-SideWinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B002ZV51DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352346669&sr=1-1&keywords=microsoft+sidewinder+x4

These are some of the best items you can get (great reviews), That keyboard is cheap and awesome.

note that I live in NZ so I was just giving the amazon for looking at :P

Hope this helps.

Hey guys, I'm getting a new gaming mouse today, sick and tired of my 5 year old dell mouse... Been looking at the Logitech G9x, anyone have this guy? Or anyone suggest a good mouse?

i just took delivery of a Razer Naga and have to say it is unbelievably good compared with the standard mouse I was previously using.

I think it is worth trying a few out for comfort before you spend the money, if there is a shop near you that sells them then ask if you can try some out, they differ quite a lot in weight and feel and the end choice will be very personal, what works for others mught not be ideal for you.

Yeah I have the Naga, its awesome IMO, so many buttons xD i couldnt go back to a 4-5 button mouse now, im too used to having things like 'W' mapped to a button so i can run around with just one hand on mouse etc. etc.

For keyboards, I would definitely say have a try of a mechanical one if you havent already. They have a much more tactile fell and sound to them that I (and most people who use them) find so satisfying, hard to explain the feel of it. It kinda makes you sound like a hacker from an old 80's movie xD Its also MUCh better if you can touch type you will be able to type faster once you get used to it. I use the Razer Blackwidow ultimate matches the Naga with the blue lighting and also has nice macro buttons.

See I really wanted the naga but I saw soooo many bad reviews on it. But I didn't know if its something that's be addressed by razer since its release. But if you look on newegg there's literally 2 solid pages or more of reviews stating that the side buttons don't work out of the box or after drivers are installed. It was too many to ignore. Then I looked at the g9x and it was the center button that seemed to be a problem there. I've been looking at the Tt esports Theron and I've seen a lot of positive reviews so far. I'd like one with that "sniper" button but I don't know of too many that offer it. As for a keyboard I've been looking at the Logitech g510. It's got so many bells and whistles, I feel like a dummy looking at something shiny haha.

I got the sidewinder x4 keyboard and do not regret it one bit. I was looking at razor etc but the reviews were not great. I guess when you pay that much ppl expect more. The sidewinder x4 does everything you need it to do and more, keys feel responsive and the backlighting is effective and has anti ghosting.

I recommend it

• Like 1

I'd stay away from Razer, generally overpriced junk, they've also started bundling in spyware with their drivers and make it so you must always be connected to the internet to be able to change mouse settings, ridiculous.

Logitech generally have a lot of good offerings, Steelseries too - a mouse is quite a personal thing though, if you can find a shop or soemwhere else to try them out, do so, it all depends how it fits in your hand - a mosue that is good for me might be too big for you or vice-versa.

I currently use the Razer Deathadder, works like a dream, nice and smooth, only the fly sensitivity change, and feels very comfortable. I will be getting a Razer Blackwidow for xmas, most people I talk to recommend them, I recommend it to.

Razer is a very good brand, havent heard many complaints to be honest.

• Like 1

I got the sidewinder x4 keyboard and do not regret it one bit. I was looking at razor etc but the reviews were not great. I guess when you pay that much ppl expect more. The sidewinder x4 does everything you need it to do and more, keys feel responsive and the backlighting is effective and has anti ghosting.

I recommend it

Indeed, the keyboard does much better or the same as a g110 logitech and is much cheaper :D

the only good keyboard for razer is the blackwidow, but logitech and microsoft make better keyboards...

Edited by HooWoo

Ugh, get either the RAT 5 or RAT 7 and you should be fine. Because razer is a brand that's more focused on their own image than anything else..

See I really wanted the naga but I saw soooo many bad reviews on it. But I didn't know if its something that's be addressed by razer since its release. But if you look on newegg there's literally 2 solid pages or more of reviews stating that the side buttons don't work out of the box or after drivers are installed. It was too many to ignore. Then I looked at the g9x and it was the center button that seemed to be a problem there. I've been looking at the Tt esports Theron and I've seen a lot of positive reviews so far. I'd like one with that "sniper" button but I don't know of too many that offer it. As for a keyboard I've been looking at the Logitech g510. It's got so many bells and whistles, I feel like a dummy looking at something shiny haha.

Haven't had any troubles what soever with my buttons not working or anything. I drink tea a LOT at my desk and have spilled tea on this thing (and keyboards) so many times and its still working, so yeah, I dunno.

Having said that, looking at reviews and doing your research like you are is the best way to go, so I'm sure whatever you do get you'll be happy with. i dunno if its possible for you to go to a local store just to try them in your hand as comfort makes a big difference I guess with something like a mouse.

Oh and this:

Get a mechanical keyboard, you won't regret it :)

Edited by Rooneye

I had a Razer Death Adder but both the main buttons broke. This was after a year+ of very intensive use though :) so not that bad I think. I got the Cyborg R.A.T 3 to replace it and despite looking like its not been finished off properly, its ergonomically superb... great balance and it even has a built in thumb rest for the lazy! They're both good but in different ways, I would go to a computer store and try out as many as they have on display personally.

I've had my Razer Lycosa keyboard and Deathadder mouse for close to four years now and haven't had a single problem until recently with the mouse. I personally love the Lycosa, its like a cross between a mechanical keyboard and a laptop keyboard, almost flat keys with a short button press.

I have been considering replacing the Deathadder with a steelseries mouse or the Logitech G500. I'll be using my Lycosa until it dies.

i recommend the R.A.T. 5 or 7,

there´s some usefull extra buttons and scrollweel (i use it for zero +/- ) on it,

every button works :P

and it´s freely configurable

Edited by @ST