Odin.

DayZ crashing/locking up computer when I join a server

I was playing DayZ, went to play TLR for a while and went back to DayZ only to find it won't work, I can either get to the multiplayer set up screen where it freezes and I can't click any buttons, or I get to click the button (rarely, probably 1 out of 50 tries) and it goes to the loading screen with the big DayZ logo in the middle but the loading bar doesn't increase, and before any of you say give it a while and let it load it's normal, 5 hours, yes 5 hours with no result isn't normal! >:( Most of the time it completely locks up my computer and I have to turn it off by the mains, which I HATE doing but I have no choice.

I've tried reinstalling it at least 10 times, used Six launcher and DayZ commander and neither work, yet ARMA 2 works perfectly fine. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is doing this, can anyone help me resolve this? 3 days without DayZ, I don't think I can cope much longer :(

Yeah bought it on steam, had it well before DayZ was around and it's always worked fine as it does now, it's only DayZ that has the problem.

I'm having the same exact issue as the OP. Arma 2 works just fine--it's only the DayZ mod that crashes during the loading screen w/ the big DayZ logo.

Here are some of the things I've done in terms of troubleshooting:

• Diagnose / Reinstall DayZ mod through Play withSIX
  • Make sure Direct X install is OK
  • Added exceptions to Windows Firewall
  • Made sure AVG was not mismanaging any of the Arma 2 / DayZ files
  • Made sure Peerblock was not blocking any relevant IPs

Here are some relevant system specs:

• Video: GeFrorce GTX 465
    • Driver: 8.17.13.142 (from May 2012 -- I should probably update this, but DayZ was working up until a few days ago)

[*]OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Any ideas?

i have had this exact same problem also, but all the fix's ive tried have not helped me and im am resorting to formatting my comp and installing windows 7 because im on XP but they might help you.

i have heard having a second monitor plugged in has caused this. try disabling that or even unplugging it.

i have heard that multiple networks cards being active in your device manager have caused this, try disabling ones you don't use?

i have also tried uninstalling all my arma 2 files on steam then reinstaling them and everything involved with 6 updater but it didn't woprk

i tried using dayz commander and no luck also.

if you have found a solution i would LOVE to know because it's been 3 weeks you have the EXACT same problem i have and i haven't been able to play and im preyy pissed off about it.

Edited by Vintage