Sign in to follow this  
Jeerso

The lonely Crossbow

After a few months of playing I decided to see how game play is different with the crossbow. It is actually quite fun but it's not practical at all.

Retrieving bolts is quite a pain. The feathers are hard to see if your bolt lands in the grass as the leaves that are everywhere are close to the same color. So maybe change the feathers to a red or blue? I have no idea if it possible for them to change stuff like that since the code is probably in the game engine.

You also can't select gear to take it off a body or the ground, this would be a nice feature.

The fact that bolts cannot stack is probably the main reason people don't pick them up. Stacking them to 5 would be nice and nothing game breaking. Plus their spawn is not very high and finding the actual weapon has been pretty rare for me.

The crossbow doesnt have a crosshair at all, its very difficult to hit zed's in the face with out it, and you can carry limited arrows... Its not usefull at all

I've actually found it pretty useful for sneaking around. If you are sneaking and see you might trigger one, that's the time to use it. Especially in a crowded town.

I have to agree about the stacking, that would be nice. And the sights, well, I just aim at the chest at pretty close ranges and that tends to head shot, but it could use a bit of improvement.

The retrieve is goofy sometimes, but I just chalk that up to breaking the bolt. Upside is no one is using it, so it is really easy to find ammo.

It needs a sight, and arrows should be stored in quivers instead of singular bolts. 5 bolts per quiver?

crossbows definately have their use, as a silent non-aggroing weapon that you can retrieve ammo for they sound pretty useful... the down side is that the "sight" is not aligned for the close ranges that it is usually used making an accurate shot difficult and the problem that it takes 2 chest shots to kill a zombie.

I often pick up a xbow early in a playthough, but i always dump it for a winchester pretty quick.

I think a quiver is all that is needed. I agree with making the arrows more visible as well.

On a side note, if they can't change the color of arrows, or add a whole new weapon with it's own mechanics to the game, then modding capabilities with this engine SUCK :P

I highly doubt that is this case though, think that is way more than possible.

I could shove 50 bolts in a sock and hang it off my belt. Stacking only 5 is a very artificial game mechanical limit. I could also carve bolts out of branches in minutes.

Imho crossbows don't need to be artificially limited like this. There are enough realistic limitations to them: poor range, poor accuracy, do little damage except by headshots. On the plus side, they're quiet, and no muzzle flash.

That's how I'd like to see them done.

I could shove 50 bolts in a sock and hang it off my belt. Stacking only 5 is a very artificial game mechanical limit. I could also carve bolts out of branches in minutes.

Imho crossbows don't need to be artificially limited like this. There are enough realistic limitations to them: poor range' date=' poor accuracy, do little damage except by headshots. On the plus side, they're quiet, and no muzzle flash.

That's how I'd like to see them done.

[/quote']

Agreed, but 50 bolts would be stretch I think, maybe 10 or 15.

They should make quivers with 5 shots that takes up 1 or 2 places in inventory, also as you said make the feather on the bolt blue, since that color is the least common in nature I guess.

And they should really implement a scope to the crossbow, I mean how often do you have a compound crossbow without a scope? XD Scope costs like 10$ and the one owning the crossbow should have baught one. I guess.

I agree

I think the should need to fix the aiming sistem for the crossbow,ironsight isnt very accurate, a scope will fix it.

And i think it is ridicolous that 6 darts need the same space of an engine.

Agreed' date=' but 50 bolts would be stretch I think, maybe 10 or 15.

[/quote']

Depends if your socks are H&M or Chuck Norris brand, I guess.

I remember my first time using the crossbow.

I had been unlucky in finding stuff and the spawns were the typical tin cane BS you see too often. I founda crossbow with two bolts and I was down to 4 Makrov rounds when a zombie strolls in so I down him with one good bolt to the noggin. A few seconds later I see a player round the door of the barn I was in.

Well, This sucks but I'm not going to die here. He does not respond nor does he retreat. So the hostile flag goes up. As he peaks the corner again I put two rounds into him before he ducks back around the door.

Dam

Well I take the inititave and run down the stairs and out the other side of the barn I creep walk around to the other side and here he is at the door again trying to see me. So I pull out my new toy the CROSSBOW! I take a long and steady aim from 20 to 30 feet and let my last bolt fly at the back of his head.

I hear a sound THUNK! and see that I missed his head by inches and there is a bolt sticking in the door right infront of his face. SHHHIIIT! I pull the Makarov and duck around the corner while sparky here is trying to figure out why a bolt just suddenly appeared infront of his face.

I round the corner again and he's looking at me again I get off the first shots but they do not drop him he fires wide, and misses several rounds and runs away. I purse for a bit but lost sight or he DC'd.

Long story short Crossbows fucking suck.

all that it would take to "fix" the xbow is to add the ACOG from the M4 variants to it.

Also on the quiver, is it a possability to have it as a tool.